Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SPLICER'S 3D IMPROVEMENT THREAD

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
splicer polycounter lvl 7
I wanted to share some of my 3D work with everyone here as well as my pipeline in the hopes of improving my work.

I came up with 4 axe concepts all of which I like and could see being turned into 3D.

Here is how I start, with a low poly subd model made in Maya with edge loops to create my initial high poly.

I then bring it into Zbrush to begin sculpting in the normal map details. I tried not to go to crazy on micro details here as they will be done in Painter.

I then sculpt in the larger highpoly details using brushes, alphas and projecting an alpha detail mask on the handle.

Once that's done I bring in the desimated high poly mesh into 3D coat where I perform my retopology. With this asset I wanted it to fit into the world of Skyrim, so I found out the budget that game, which came out in 2011, was between 1k-2k tris. So I decided to keep it around 3k since it's 2017.

Once that was finished, I did my UVs which were done in 3D coat and Maya. I then went onto baking which I did in Substance Painter.

Finally I textured in Painter.

I have this model on Sketch Fab where you can get a better look at it.
model
Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on this, my work flow as well as the model itself.

Replies

• Butthair
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    This looks nice, get a higher texture size and push those main details.
    Where's the sharpened axe edge? Where's the worn leather from the many times it's own has used it? Where's the scuffs on metal edges from clashing against a shield? There's no build up of dirt and grease in crevices.

I like the material work you have so far, push it further though. Make it look like more than just another 3d axe, give it MORE story.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I like it! I agree with Butthair that it needs the sharpened edge, but it doesn't necessarily need the scuffs and dirt and worn leather. Nothing saying it can't be a newly made axe! The blue designs look sick.
  • splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree with what you suggested. @Butthair I made the texture in Painter so I can export up to 8k, even 16k, without losing any detail fidelity. It looks very impressive at just 4K, I did 2k since it was going on Sketchfab, actually did it for a challenge they had a few months ago. Like @Ashervisalis pointed out though I wanted this one to be a 'new' ancient style Nordic axe, and thanks, glad you like that design! I like the sharped edge idea, going to figure out a good way to create that effect going forward on my weapons.

Here's another one I did from my concept sheet. This one I was going for more primitively made, like barbaric type of tribe made it.

Same initial process to start.

But after this step, I wanted to push the high poly micro detail more than the last one. I had gotten the same feedback on the first axe about the wear and tear, so I went ahead and added a good amount. On the handle though I kept it simple since I already had a good wood grain texture with normal, so I didn't want to bake that detail on my initial low poly normal map since I would blend it in the texturing phase.

Low poly and bakes done here.

Here are my maps. Using Unity 5 spec gloss PBR so the metalness and rough are in the RGB of one map.

Here's the finished result taken in real time in Unity 5.

Real time render taken from Sketchfab viewer as well as a the embeded viewer.

model

So looking at it now I could have pushed the dirt and grime in the nooks and crannies of the weapon, they don't show up too much, then again I tried to be subtle and not overdo the  fidelity of the micro details. Going to apply what you guys suggested on the next one.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    An easy way to create the sharpened edge look is to create a second metal material, just like the rest of the blade, but increase the roughness a little, and just paint that onto the edge of the blade.
  • splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I would update this guy(thread). So much I have done, since that axe, oh boy. Where to begin.

I took part in the Beyond Human Challenge last year, that was spectacular, thread here:
    https://www.artstation.com/contests/beyond-human/challenges/24/submissions/20899

Somethings, first version, my scale was off in Toolbag, so the PBR and dept of field is very wrong. Also, pose was wonky, stuck to t pose.
    AND.
    I will only do T pose from now on, Maya Human IK doesn't like when the arms are down, had to fudge them around in zbrush to rig her up.
    ----------
    I was part of the Fallout Cascadia team as an asset creator, fantastic group of guys and gals, learned a lot in my short time on the team.

----------
    Now I am finishing up some 3D projects from last year and new ones. Was busy with 2D comic freelance work, no longer am I doing that.

Now I can focus 100% on my 3D. Crits and comments very welcome, thank you!

• splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    Some work in progress of the final axe from the set of 4 axes.

• splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    This guy is almost done.(should be wip on there, I forgot and made it over a week ago, so...)

So is this guy.

I think something is missing on both textures, so I will sleep on it. Open to thoughts, have applied advice given in past here.
  • splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this one finished and Sketch fab.

model

And this one is almost done, few details, like blade micro surface wear. Also building a stand, or modeling if you will.

• splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    This is axe is done as well.

I have it on my Sketchfab too. Won't clutter the thread with it.

Have done more work on this character.

• splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    Won't lie, this high poly is presenting, a challenge, but the magnitude of it, I think, will forge me.

• splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update. I like to compare directly with my 2D concept.

• splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    A few beauty shot taken directly in online Sketchfab viewer.

More can be seen on my SB page:
    https://sketchfab.com/splicer

• splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wanted to share my thoughts for this character with this image.

Idea was to create energy effects for real time. This is problem, as it is depending on the engine used, alpha cards, particles, still a WIP.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do you have close ups of the face?  Something looks anatomically off about the mouth.
  • splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi I do, here are some as.

I am seeing what you mean I think, the lips are curling up on the edges. Let me know if this helps you see it, I appreciate the help!
  • splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on this. Getting closer to finishing the hard surface base, then I will add some micro details to it after I do soft suit sculpting.

• splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    An update on this character. I am looking forward to the retopology and UV phase, then finally texture phase. Micro surface details will mostly be done in that phase, but not all, some will be baked in from the high poly once I finish it.
  • splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on this character model.

• splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    Update as I push the realism on this character.

• splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    This project is a future droid, comprised of multiple parts. The idea is to have it be destructible in engine. I have finished the frame.

The pieces I will finish and will be deformed, like the mesh is deformed on some car or racing games.

• splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    Some new WIP on the enforcement droid.