Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Taylor Brown

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
Taylor Brown ngon master
I posted this on the 3D art showcase but I thought I'd throw it here as well.

I'm a novice in the realm of art. In June 2018 I'll be starting up at Think Tank, so in preparation I took a week off work with two goals. One, produce my first environment scene from start to finish. Two, use and experiment with as many studio standard pieces of software as I could. 

I only had a vague idea of what I wanted to do concept wise, it just came about naturally. I probably put about 100 hours into this but there were a lot of firsts and a lot of technical headaches along the way. In the end, I'm proud I accomplished my original goals.  Let me know what y'all think!

Learned how to make terrains in zbrush, made a basic procedural wood in substance designer, terrain painted in substance painter, modelled the gallows in maya

Added in a zbrush base mesh for the hanged man. Looking at reference for that position wasnt very fun.

Learned how to make my own procedural rock generator in Houdini, I really want to learn more!

My balloon animal cacti are in, also decided I wanted to add a church/mission in the background

First time modeling a building as well as taking a low poly object into zbrush to add detailing. Had a ton of fun painting these in substance.

Had a lot of headaches learning to use MASH to get those little rocks all over the place. Then they were just floating. I also had never touched lighting before so it was looking rough. Took me FOREVER to figure out how to have stingray materials in maya accept more than one light source.

After feeling a little unhappy with the image above, I went back determined to work on lighting. While I was at it I fixed some geometry and tweaked shaders. I have a lot to learn when it comes to lighting but I'm a bit happier with this result.

Replies