Replies

• wazou
    Offline / Send Message
    wazou polycounter lvl 5
    It's available in blender.

• MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    Great opportunity to compare loop cut smoothness with my Fuse tool :)

The smoothness parameter works okay-ish, but theres no continuity in edge flow at the boundary., which seams to really limit how useful it is on anything but primitive geo.

So3Datel  Are you up for testing this situation? :)
  • So3Datel
    Offline / Send Message
    So3Datel polycounter lvl 5
    Set Flow and Flow Connect working not only with "normal direction", but with mesh contours. See previous video. Max tools can smooth mesh and contours, and work "faster", because it need only one click or hotkay.
    https://youtu.be/TbkK3-qpECQ
    MACHIN3 your Fuse tool and max tools don't distort faces
    https://youtu.be/_0tqhFddkVc
    and i'm not professional max user. Earlier i'm worked in max, like 5 years ago for freelance, but now forgot all max tools.
    and I hawe access to the old max v2014
    sorry for my english
  • MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    Cool stuff, thanks!
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Very cool stuff @MACHIN3 - these tools look like a breath of fresh air really !

If I understand the GIFs correctly it seems like you are going for something allowing for non-linear, semi-non-destructive editing of curvature and fillets ?

If so ... well, that's pretty damn great :)
  • MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    pior said:
    Very cool stuff @MACHIN3 - these tools look like a breath of fresh air really !

If I understand the GIFs correctly it seems like you are going for something allowing for non-linear, semi-non-destructive editing of curvature and fillets ?

If so ... well, that's pretty damn great :)
    Yes, that sums it up very nicely :)

I was frustrated that you couldn't easily go from block mesh to more refined mesh, when you use chamfers or low res bevels to approximate curvature early on. It all went from there and is now basically a workflow that among other things allows you to go from chamfer to (rounded) bevel and back.

• FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Yeah, Blender's smooth setting for adding loops is pretty good in most cases, but it's not calculating the curvature from neighbour angles of polygons, so it requires used input for that.

For example if you have one edge loop missing from an UV Sphere, and you'd like to add it back, correctly calculated with the roundness of the rest of the sphere, the regular adding of a loop with a manual smooth value isn't precise enough.

I actually tested it on an UV Sphere, duplicated it, deleted a loop and added it back. I had the original UV Sphere visible in the background when adding the loop back on the copy to see the difference. The smoothness value 1.0 was too much and the value of 0.6654 with trial and error before was close enough, but not perfect when zoomed very close. Not so practical, lol.

But, @MACHIN3, your addon sounds really promising. Thanks for taking your time doing this. ;)
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Just wanted to say I love what you're doing @MACHIN3 , looking forward to seeing more!

I've been using this to undo bevels in Blender, but it's kind of glitchy and limited.
    Also fyi, even Max has no built in way to unbevel a group of edges like what you're showing (though something similar can be done via RappaTools3  MaxUnchamfer).
  • Yadoob
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    @FourtyNights hm, good to know about this limitation !
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    MACHIN3 said:
    Am I the only one, that thinks the smooth subdivide really only works on a cube, to turn it into a sphere and is otherwise useless?
    @MACHIN3 My post was directed at FourtyNights, they were talking about that edge-flow tool in 3ds. The smoothness setting in the Subdivide or Loop Cut tools is the closest thing to it that is built-in.

That GIF you posted shows that the result of your tool looks more polished and visually pleasing than the built-in. So it's definitely useful.

Zablorg said:
    I would simply like to move the vertices in the direction of these custom normals. Unless I'm misunderstanding something about how these work, I'm not trying to make any edges sharp.
    @Zablorg try this:
    offset_along_custom_normals.py

Install it from your Addons dialog with the the "Install From File" button.
    Then find it on Edit mode by pressing the space bar with "Offset Along Custom Normals" or on the Mesh > Vertices menu.
    Note that it's a bit clunky, you should only use it once or the next time you use it the mesh might get distorted: the custom normals change as you move the vertices (the pink rays, notice how they change while you're doing that). I'm not entirely sure why this happens.
  • JoseConseco
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    Another great tool, machin3. 

I wanted to share new to Hair Tool - the biggest change is easy ability to bake hairs:

• finished and polished hair baking in blender (ao, id, root mask, tangent map, normal, depth etc).
    • added channel packing nodes (beta but should work 90% of time)
    • video showing example worfklow and how baking works: https://youtu.be/0UAxl549pNA

• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    Im having trouble with something that i think its a bug, when i import any fbx file, the mesh will load only on layer 10, and the texel density tools from the textools addon will work only on layer 10 too. Anyone know what is causing it or how to fix? I could export everything to a new blender file i think, but is quite time consuming. 
  • TheGabmeister
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    I found this UV packing addon recently:

https://gumroad.com/l/UVShotPacker

When used in combination with TexTools and Multi Object UV Editing, unwrapping dozens of hard-surface objects becomes a whole lot easier. Pretty awesome stuff.
  • RawData
    Offline / Send Message
    RawData polycounter lvl 3
    When multi res sculpting, subdivisions eats the volume of the mesh. In zbrush, with morph targets people can avoid that shrinkage. They save a morph target and divide the mesh, then they go back to the morph target, with this way they preserve their first vertex positions of non-divided mesh. So that way vertex positions are fixed but mesh also smoothed and no shrinkage happens. So i want to ask if something exists in blender to achieve that workaround of zbrush? 
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    do we know of a way to get the 3ds max/maya-style wireframe overlay on the selected object in blender? that's something that has been bugging me for a while since the outline isn't as useful to identifying what's selected and for when going into edit mode. also draws in an annoying fashion on single sided objects when backface culling is on.

i do of course know how to display a wireframe on top of an object by activating it manually and have a global switch for all the objects in the scene as well but what i'm looking for is to have an object display a wireframe/all edges automatically upon selection and return to the object's previous display state upon deselection.

3ds max term was 'highlight selected' if i recall right.

• wazou
  • kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    @thomasp as a longtime 3ds max user I also missed this feature quite a bit, so your post motivated me to write a small addon for just that.
    Found something online which did the wire toggle for all objects, changed it a bit to make it work only on selected objects.
    I did only limited testing - expect silly bugs. Its very simple though, so shoulnd be hard to resolve if necessary.

Note its a bad boy script which hardcodes F4 key ;)

https://github.com/BenjaminSauder/Wireframe-on-shaded

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    @wazou that looks interesting on it's own, thanks - will give it a try!

@kio just the outcome i was hoping for! ;) now - would it be possible to have this toggle automatically upon selection without having to use a hotkey? or rather - only toggle if the object doesn't already have wire overlay visible? then it would resemble the max feature as i remember it.

• kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    It already does that, you basically turn it on or off with f4, and then it shows wireframes on whatever you select.

• joebount
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    kio said:
    It already does that, you basically turn it on or off with f4, and then it shows wireframes on whatever you select.
    Hum, I must be doing something wrong but the plugin doesn't appear after I install t, running 2.79a. Is there anything special to know/do?
  • kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    i dont know - just download the .py file and then install addon from file - should work fine
  • joebount
    Offline / Send Message

Already tried, really weird...
    It tells me that the modules are installed
     what;s the name in the add-on library?
  • jpthrash
    Offline / Send Message
    jpthrash polycounter lvl 7
    The Code Quest has started and here is the workboard for it, pretty exciting.
    https://developer.blender.org/project/board/80/

@thomasp I think maybe @kio was referring to this add-on I requested a year ago, it mimics 3dsmax behavior toggle on/off wire + all edges for all objects in the scene, I made it bind to F4 by default.
  • kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    yeah exactly - i only extended it that it shows the wireframe only on selected objects.

thanks for the link to the board - also pretty excited about the whole 2.8 thing :)

@joebount no there is nothing special about it, you can always look up how an addon registers itself in the bl_info fields "name" & "category" - in this case its simply "Wireframe on shaded" in "3D View"
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    @kio - my bad, it's an addon conflict with something over here. what i noticed though is that if the mesh already has wireframe display activated before selection then that wireframe gets cleared after deselection. is that the same behaviour on your end by any chance?

• kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    yes - thats how its set up at the moment, but shoudlnt be too hard to chache the settings and revert back after deselection.

think ill add that feature, and also get back the ability to show/hide on all objects, and adding the options to control it somewhere.
  • RawData
    Offline / Send Message
    A question- while sculpting with multires modifier, if the smooth brush stroke method is space, smooth brush delays, if method is dots works fine. My question is how can i change stroke method of smooth brush when using shift key? I believe shift key uses the stroke method of current brush( for example clay strips). 
  • Michael Knubben
    @renderhjs hasn't posted this here yet, so I'll share this until he gets a thread going:
    https://bitbucket.org/renderhjs/blender-addon-fbx-bundle
    Features

• Batch Export selected objects as FBX bundles
    • Batch Import 3D files from a folder
    • Preview FBX bundles as you select objects
    • Bundle objects by name, group, material or scene
    • Fix Unity rotation, scale and material issues
    • Draw fences around bundles of objects

• Serek
    Offline / Send Message
    Serek polycounter lvl 7
    https://www.youtube.com/user/pitiwazou
    with this guy help I probably move from max to blender :o
  • YannickStoot
    Offline / Send Message
    YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
    @renderhjs hasn't posted this here yet, so I'll share this until he gets a thread going:
    Features

• Batch Export selected objects as FBX bundles
    • Batch Import 3D files from a folder
    • Preview FBX bundles as you select objects
    • Bundle objects by name, group, material or scene
    • Fix Unity rotation, scale and material issues
    • Draw fences around bundles of objects

I don't use blender but that is really cool!
  • jpthrash
    Offline / Send Message
    jpthrash polycounter lvl 7

For those who aren't aware, with YAVNE add-on and some shortcuts you can get some really quick mid-poly workflow.
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    RawData said:
    A question- while sculpting with multires modifier, if the smooth brush stroke method is space, smooth brush delays, if method is dots works fine. My question is how can i change stroke method of smooth brush when using shift key? I believe shift key uses the stroke method of current brush( for example clay strips). 
    @RawData holding shift, it clearly shows on the properties panel the dots method while using the space method. That's a bug.
    If you want to report that, I've filled in a bug-report form for you. You just need an account in developer.blender.org.
    Then log in to it, follow this link and hit the "Create New Task" button: bug report form
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Thanks Michael, yes I didn't get around posting it yet here on Polycount as there were some initial bugs I wanted to iron out first.
    I just posted The FBX Bundle addon thread here:
    Some of the new features include a new Ground pivot tool to align all Z-coordinates of the pivots to the groun place of the bundle's bounds

For the Unity workflow I updated the documentation a bit more to better explain what it actually can do. The Unity Editor script can automatically assign existing materials if the material names between Blender and the Unity project match.

The Unity editor script is included in the Addon zip file or also accessable from the Addon preferences

This is an addon that I always wanted for 3dsMax or Blender, a painless stupid simple way to export and update existing FBX files in a project. I have been using variants of this script in the past at work on commercial projects and it saves so much time, all you do is select your objects and press 'Export'.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    regarding wire overlay on selected objects 3dsmax style again: i discovered that the bforartists project includes this functionality as well. works in my (apparently?) busted config.

if you'd like to try it, grab the wire tools addon from https://github.com/Bforartists/Bforartists/blob/17af5b9d40d7c7eadcc98e510748543d8c9bd087/release/scripts/addons/wire_tools_v2-2.py and install from file. it can be found as a clickable toggle under category 'Shading' in the righthand viewport panel.

same thing as with kio's script though -  object deselection clears any prior wireframe overlay.

• RawData
    Offline / Send Message
    @RN i am sorry but this is not clear for me, i believe “toolbar” shows the stroke method, i am not aware also properties Window shows it. While holding shift toolbar doesnt show smooth brush, it just shows the last selected brush and doesnt care smooth brush. While holding shift key it just uses the settings of that selected brush instead of smooth brushes own settings. Is this the same thing you mentioned? 
  • Dr_Welz
    Offline / Send Message
    Dr_Welz null
    Hey guys,

this is my very first post to this forum. Someone recommended to post my script here so i just give it a try :) ... please tell me if it is unappropriate or if something's not right ...

i created this addon (called PBR Texture Bakery) for Blender to improve my personal PBR texture-creation and UV-optimization workflow in Blender. It allows you to bake complex Cycles-materials to PBR textures and - if needed - onto a specific, new UV-layout (nice if you want to transfer from one UV-layout onto another one). It can bake these textures:

• Albedo
    • Normal-Map (Tangent space)
    • Roughness
    • Metallic
    • Alpha-mask
    • Refraction-mask
    • Subsurface-scattering-mask

The resulting textures can directly be put into a PBR render-engine like UE, Unity or simply the Principled BSDF of Blender etc. It also enables you to join multiple objects into one objects and bake all textures onto one bigger texture-atlas. This is really usefull when it comes to realtime-rendering optimization...

You might want to take a closer look into the documentation to find out further details:
    https://www.blendermarket.com/produc...ery-for-cycles

Sketchfab:
    https://sketchfab.com/models/dff0f55...944fb1ef114116

Sketchfab:
    https://sketchfab.com/models/880c75c...abfd2b61ecbfb5

Sketchfab:
    https://sketchfab.com/models/cd14799...c73fa70fd7e53c

Baking result of object with multiple complex Cycles materials to one UV-map, respectively, one set of PBR textures:

Please leave me some oppinions about it. If people like it, i will add further features to improve this addon.

Thank you guys
  • MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    Optimus said:
    MACHIN3 said:
    I've been working on a new addon for the past month, here's some clips, there's more on twitter

Looks mighty useful, can't wait to try it out :)
    Let me know what you think, I'm still very much looking for feedback. Check the docs, if you haven't already for an overview/description of all tools: https://machin3.io/MESHmachine/docs/

• MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ote9WxgFlxU

I've always wanted to draw straight lines on curved geo at any angle, but the GPencil line tool couldn't and the Gpencil draw tool only does horizontal and vertical straight lines. I've built my own GTape tool now.

I have some ideas about taking this further and truly mirror the experience of tape drawing using Miratools/CV style curve/stroke manipulation. 

• MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8IIxVbbfJc

I've spend some more time on the tape tool. Also shown is the symmetrize Grease Pencil tool in MACHIN3tools.
    It's part of the latest MEShmachine preview release (0.5.9) now.
  • royor
    Offline / Send Message
    royor node
    in blender 2.8 are they gonna improve the unwrap packing algorithm? or the whole unwrapping workflow.
  • JoseConseco
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    Machin3 - nice, can you make this gpencil stuff,  into one menu  in one addon.  And maybe add grease pencil circle draw and project?

• MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    Machin3 - nice, can you make this gpencil stuff,  into one menu  in one addon.  And maybe add grease pencil circle draw and project?

Hey man, I was thinking of adding simple shapes as well!
    Are you suggesting I should release this as a stand alone, with Tape and Symmetrize GPencil bundled into one?  I guess, that would make sense :)
  • joebount
    Offline / Send Message

Hi guys,

I’m currently using a maya kind of Navigation (void hotkeys) and everything is going smoothly.
    The only problem occurs when I’m trying to rotate the view in grease pencil mode, alt left click being assigned to the line tool. Is there any way to configure it to alt + left instead?
    I’m aware you can rotate the view with the mousewheel but I am burrently working with a pen.

Thank you!

• MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool

joebount said:

Hi guys,

I’m currently using a maya kind of Navigation (void hotkeys) and everything is going smoothly.
    The only problem occurs when I’m trying to rotate the view in grease pencil mode, alt left click being assigned to the line tool. Is there any way to configure it to alt + left instead?
    I’m aware you can rotate the view with the mousewheel but I am burrently working with a pen.

Thank you!

You'll have the same issue in the knife tool. This is was made me swtich the blender navigation/MMB rotation. There's no way around it AFAIK, but  I could be wrong, never looked too much into it. Also, MMB rotation is great, give it a try. :) edit: missed you pen comment, sorry.

---

Upcoming normal flatten tool for MESHmachine to take care of those pesky smoothing issues on faces that should appear flat. Trying to integrate it into the Fuse tool now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d19cDnqz_M

• RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool

Hi. I finished this add-on.
    It lets you offset the weights of the selected vertices by dragging the mouse up and own.
    Sometimes while weight painting you want a more specific way of setting weights than just the brush.

You can get it on my Gumroad (1+):
    https://gum.co/adjust_vertex_weights

Features:
    • It automatically normalises weights as you change them (set with the Normalize Weights option).
    • It works in both Weight Paint mode and Edit mode.
    • It doesn't change weights from locked groups (so you can safely have some vertex groups for stuff like modifier influences etc.).
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    joebount said:

Try the Emulate 3 Button Mouse option on User Preferences > Input: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/preferences/input.html#mouse
  • MACHIN3
  • So3Datel
    Offline / Send Message
    How to Grow/Shrink along loop or ring in Blender?
    like in 3ds max

• Michael Knubben
    So3Datel said:
    like in 3ds max
    You'll need to install an addon for that functionality. I believe I use the Zaloopok addon, but I can check for you if you can't find it.
  • So3Datel
    Offline / Send Message
    So3Datel said:
    like in 3ds max
    You'll need to install an addon for that functionality. I believe I use the Zaloopok addon, but I can check for you if you can't find it.
    Thank you. This is what I need.