polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Svyat polycounter lvl 5

Personal project.

BBC Sherlock Holmes TV show interior, rendered in Unreal Engine 4

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    Overall really good start.

the main thing right now I think is the lighting.  Compared to your reference image your scene is too bright.  Are you using a post process volume?  I would try adjusting your exposure settings to see if you can match the reference a bit closer.

Looking forward to seeing more :)
  • Svyat
    Offline / Send Message
    Svyat polycounter lvl 5

Hey, @CrackRockSteady yea now that you mentioned it the lighting does seem a bit too bright. 

The only thing is I don't know how to achieve the same dazzling light behind the window without increasing the overall brightness of the scene.

I tried to play around with the exposures of different spotlights, and this is what i got.

• CrackRockSteady
    I think it is looking better already.

I'm still getting familiar with lighting in UE4, do you think you could post screenshots of your Lightmass settings for the scene, as well as the settings for the light you're using for the sunlight?

Basically you'll want your room to be pretty dark except for the spot on the floor where the sunlight hits.  Increase the indirect lighting intensity of your light, and crank up the indirect lighting bounces in your lightmass settings and let that light bounce around.  Then you can adjust the overall brightness with the PP exposure settings, maybe add a touch of bloom to get the same effect as in the reference image.

• JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    If you haven't already, create a lookup table for your scene in photoshop (which includes creating your own contrast).
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Rendering/PostProcessEffects/UsingLUTs

Makes a huge difference, especially for real time work.
  • Svyat
    Offline / Send Message
    Svyat polycounter lvl 5
    Hello again @CrackRockSteady

I followed your advice, the results are already looking better 
    In the PP I changed the min and max exposure to 2, and bloom to 4

Lightmass

Spotlight

• Svyat
  • MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    I love the lighting. Great Job Svyat!
  • CrackRockSteady
    Yeah definitely moving in the right direction now :)  Just play around with your light intensity, indirect intensity, and exposure to get the look you're going for.  When you're happy with how it looks you can make some final adjustments with post process.

If you want to get the over-bright blown out look for the light coming in the window you can probably just throw a big plane outside the window with an emissive material applied.

• Violet
    Offline / Send Message
    Violet polycounter lvl 9
    The carpet/rug totally draws the attention away from the rest of the scene. It just doesn't look right at all and is a big negative. Everything else is coming along nicely, but it is doing it no favours.
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    agree with @Violet I think you need to work on the scale of those rug details, at the moment they feel a bit large for the scene. In your reference there is a lot more variety in the size of the details. Id definitely reduce the size of the rug strands

Looking good so far though, keep it up! :)
  • Svyat
    Offline / Send Message
    Svyat polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you guys for providing good feedback, I looked into these issues.
    I changed the scale of the carpet and placed an emissive plane behind the window.
    Would love to hear more from you guys, I'm still a newbie in unreal engine and environment art

• Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Carpets looking a lot better now, nice job :) Looking forward to seeing this with more props added
  • Svyat
    Offline / Send Message
    Svyat polycounter lvl 5
    @Doxturtle
    I agree, right now the scene still looks kinda empty. I'm thinking of adding some objects on the table and maybe droping some books on the floor.
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting in some of that disorder to the bookcase would really help to, that reference picture you posted has a nice balance of cluttered and organised, the angled books and stuff makes it look a lot more interesting
  • Svyat
    Offline / Send Message
    Svyat polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys, the last couple of months were quite full with classes and other projects, but now I have some time to work on this again.:) 
    When I first did this scene I created all my textures in either Photoshop using stuff from CGtextures or Substance Painter. As of now I've learned the basics of Designer and will try to incorporate it in my pipeline.

@Doxturtle I'll get on that, thanks man :) 

I also just recently re-did my wooden floor, and carpet using Designer to make them look more like the reference ,and not random textures from the internet haha.

As always, I'm open to critique of any sort  :wink:

I created this mask in Photoshop and then used it in Designer.

• polygons
    Offline / Send Message
    polygons polycounter lvl 4
    I think your camera needs to be moved up and also back some. You'll have to zoom in a bit to compensate for moving it back but it will match your reference better.  You have the right idea with the carpet but the pattern still feels a bit too big and jarring. Moving the camera might help that a little bit. The part of the carpet that isn't red also needs to be darkened a bit. The pattern on the backwall where the fireplace is feels a big squashed in some parts. I would turn down the roughness on the little wooden table on the left. I would darken the diffuse of the metal legs on the chair next to the window. Make sure the metal on your metal materials is 1 and that it is 0 on non-metallic objects.  The red in the fireplace looks like it has glass with some red tile or something behind it. You might get the same look with just a red tile texture with a low roughness. Hope that helps its coming along really nicely. Just little things here and there that could be improved!
  • ParksMarks
    Offline / Send Message
    ParksMarks polycounter lvl 5
    Hi Svyat,
    I want to echo polygons' observation where he mentions the cameras. I Think you could hit your visual target if you decreased your cameras' field of view. You'll have less space to work with (make fewer props) and it will be better looking, compositionally.
    Also, have you placed a reflection volume yet? thats very important when you're setting up materials, and I think I see some reflection leakage on your tables.
    Best of luck on your scene!
  • Svyat
    Offline / Send Message
    Svyat polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you very much for critique guys :)
    I went through the most of your guy's feedback. There were a lot of things that needed to be re-done and changed, here is what I came up with. Also playing around with the camera's field of view like @ParksMarks suggested.  

I had to go back and redo Sherlock's chair, planning to do Watson's next

• Svyat
    Offline / Send Message
    Svyat polycounter lvl 5
    Updated Watson's chair. Looks a little better now I think, still not a fan of the red and blue texture though...

• Svyat
    Offline / Send Message
    Svyat polycounter lvl 5
    Hey everyone. I spend some time today fiddling with light and moving stuff around. I managed to fix this annoying lighting bug, now the scene should look a little better. I also figured out how to make the mirror work.(thanks Youtube) The blue hologram is the asset I plan to texture next. 

• Seeberg
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeberg polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good, definitely seeing the improvement as you build it. My 2 cents is to add the floor molding at the base of your wall pieces. It was super noticeable in your earlier renders. 
  • Svyat
    Offline / Send Message
    Svyat polycounter lvl 5
     Hey Thanks for feedback @Aeseeberg04 I think you're right. It would definitely look better with the floor molding added. I'll get on that. :)
  • Svyat
    Offline / Send Message
    Svyat polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys, these are my final renders.
    You can also find more here https://www.artstation.com/artwork/awPrk
    Thanks to everyone for feedback.  :)

• Animas
    Offline / Send Message
    Animas polycounter lvl 6
    The only thing that bothers me is the part that there should be two windows and a table inbetween them. Here it's only one window and the table is beeing rotated 90 degrees.
    Look at the reference:
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PsmMwnEddlQ/UtwjqAc6hHI/AAAAAAAAHxg/0lZ1xhPqyM0/w1884-h1080/60.png

This might have been done intentionally, but this way the room looks abit big and empty, plus thee is less light coming in throw one small window. While its not a problem in some of the shots you did, the ones that show more of the room just look odd and "not right".

Other than that keep on good work ;)