Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] House and Garden Environment

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
riot polycounter lvl 11
Hi! I've recently made a greybox for the environment I'm working on. The initial idea was to make a gardener's house, but later I changed my mind and worked around the theme of flowers. On the exterior I've blocked out a large meadow in the front of the house, and a small garden in the back.

I'm using an english house as a reference, "Great Dixter". I decided to use this as a reference because it looked like a gardener's house. reference images

Currently what i have inside the house is a great hall that I was going to decorate around the theme of flowers. There's some greyboxes for paintings and botanical books, but right now i feel like there's just too many books that don't make much sense. 

The dressing needs more work in general, but for now I moved on to the materials because I got stuck with the dressing. I've made some materials for the bricks and stone terraces, tiles for the roof, and the interior wooden beams. Going to be updating this thread as I work on this project.

Materials:

Replies

• macoll
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Hey looks cool, sub ;)
  • aclund3
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Looking great! Can't wait to see you progress with this. From an architectural perspective there are a few things that could use some adjustment.

Most often Architects vary the size of window openings from floor to floor and for different purposes. In the interior reference you can see the different heights of the upper and lower windows for instance.  I wouldn't have arched heads for all of the windows.  It should be a bit more varied like the top middle image in your ref sheet.  Probably make the bay windows square at least. Also, the proportions seem just a tad off for the the window openings.  They seem a little wide to me, which makes for a fat squatty window which feels a bit more Roman and much older than the era in which these buildings in the references were built.  Most of the ref images show buildings emphasizing verticality (especially in the trim boards in the middle of the gables) and have taller windows which feel a little more towards the tudor and english formality.

On the topic of proportions, the hall looks either too wide, or too short. Pulling up the ceiling along with the top and bottom row of windows (top should be taller) would help.  The chandeliers are hanging a bit high as well, you can see in the reference that they're maybe 2-ish feet below the bottom of the large beam.  The chandeliers are also two-tiered in the image which gives them a bit more visual weight... I'm guessing they will be quite important in the feel of this interior in the end. And the large rafters which form the diagonal repeating pattern on the ceiling seem a bit wide as well. Normally rafters in this orientation would be probably twice as deep (i.e., tall) than wide, but I can see from the reference that the Architect(s) intended for them to mimic the width of the trim boards, so maybe its ok.

One last thing. I see in the garden ref that the exterior stairs towards the fountain open up so that a person can has 90-degrees of movement. It seems to me in an english garden setting, things are SOOO formal and the whole experience is meticulously cultivated, that an option of movement like that wouldn't exist. I think it would feel better to capture and wall off the part of the stairs going directly to the fountain so that someone going from the house to the fountain would walk to the landing, have a pause leaning on a railing or brick wall and view everything, and then turn to go down the stairs before turning again to follow the path out to the fountain.

Cheers, man. I love your references here and your intentions and the work you've done so far.  Sorry if this is too much, I just want this to be awesome for you :)  Keep us updated!  I love it!
  • riot
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    @aclund3 wow, thank you very much for the detailed feedback, it's really good!

I've raised the ceiling a bit and made the upper windows taller. For the windows I didn't remove the arch completely but made the mullions much thicker like in the reference so they look square from a distance. From the inside it looks better with the arch imo. Made the rafters thinner, it's a small tweak but it makes the room feel bigger. I agree about the chandelier, didn't really gave it much attention on the blockout but it definitely needs some love once i get to it. I'll try to block the stairs when i start working on the garden, see how it looks.

I've also rebuilt the entire house with modules, the way i had it at first was a mess (entire meshes for timber structure, another for plaster, etc), now its  much cleaner than before. For now, I'm working on mapping the materials I have so far on the house. I'm working on a separate file on the house architecture only, that's why there is no dressing anymore. Once i finish, i will bring it back to the main file. Still need to set up transparency on the glass shader.

And a few more materials:

• aclund3
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, yeah!!!  Proportions are looking way better already.  Happy to provide the critique :)  Great work capturing the trim on the interior of those large column-beam-truss segments too.  Love what you're after here!
  • Marvjc
    Offline / Send Message
    Marvjc polycounter lvl 9
    This looking great! Looking forward for the updates ;)

• riot
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    thanks!  :)
    I've mapped the exterior of the house and started working on the terrace. Can't wait to finish mapping the architecture and start working on the foliage and texture variations.

• aclund3
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome!  Some more architectural thoughts, if you'll have them:

The door header looks a bit odd to me.  I think at this time the horizontal 'trim' (or bellyband) running around the center of the building would act as the header. That trim would delineate the bottom and/or tops of the windows as well.  With that in mind, I'd pull the wood header you've got in there and extend the doorway up to the trim (just from looking at your last image).  Looking at ref photos, a large wood header might make sense in a fully brick wall but I don't think it does in a wood frame/plaster wall. 

In the first image, the roof valley (between the dormer and the main roof area) is jumping out to me. I'm not exactly sure but I think in this time period they turned one or more 'columns' of tiles 45-degrees in between the roof areas to form the valley or kind of 'chamfer' around the corner. Ignore everything else in the image below, but the valley on the right side you can kind of see what I'm talking about. You should be able to literally chamfer that edge and just apply the same material across it :)

Also, the profile of the eave tile should be thinner than the rake (or gable) tiles.

And, last thought, in my mind the brick color seems a little light/orange at the moment for the style, and I might beat them up a little more, add a bit more height variation. At this time, they couldn't make bricks all that uniform to start with, plus the aging should add up to some noisey little guys.

Cheers!  Keep at it!  And as always, if something 'correct' doesn't look good, massage it to make it look awesome and fudge the accuracy :)
  • riot
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    Hello again!

Since the last post my PC died then rose from the dead, classes started and quite some time has passed but I'm still working on this. (Late)Thanks again for the great feedback @aclund3 .

So far I've finished the garden architecture pass and did lightmapping for all the modules I have so far. Did a test lighting bake with some pretty nice results. Also fixed the eaves tiles thickness and the valley between the roofs. The one-column valley looks much cleaner than the one I had before. Also the tiles profile I had before made the house look really cartoony, now it gives a much nicer scale to the whole house. I've kept the door header to the same height  to keep the door scale, but I've removed the horizontal beam on top of it. I think it works better visually because it makes the door stand out a little bit from the rest of the house.

Next up are the bricks textures, I'm going to make some beaten up and mossy variations for blending and the same for the roof tiles+a decal pass. After that I'm going to move on to the terrain and vegetation.

• aclund3
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a lot of life happening in there :) Awesome work, and I'm glad to help!
  • macoll
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Love the shapes! Looks really cool

• riot
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks guys! I've finished the base terrain and its layers. Next up is vegetation and trees. Been waiting for a while to get to the plants, hopefully it will be fun. Here are some reference images for the direction i'm going on with the vista: reference images

• LorasTyrell
    Offline / Send Message
    LorasTyrell polycounter lvl 5
    Materials are beauuuuutiful. How did you make the terrain? :) 
  • riot
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    Materials are beauuuuutiful. How did you make the terrain? :) 
    Thanks! Basically it's this workflow:  + Substance Designer to create the mask for the "land patches"
  • riot
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    I've made some oak trees to surround the house with. Also been working on a nicer transition from house to the pond. Still needs some rocks and water plants, but its getting there. Next up are some plants/flowers and grass. 

• riot
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    The meadow is slowly getting there. As for the plants, here's a render of the highpoly variations I've made, and some of the lowpoly meshes I've managed to create so far. 

• riot
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    Updating this thread after a long time. I've been slowly doing a lot of little things on this environment meanwhile. Added all the plants to the garden and made some statues and vases to make it pretty. I was also not really happy with the front meadow, so after doubting about it for a while I decided to add a pergola, which I believe was a really good decision, ´cause it links way better the meadow with the house - not a "house on the hill" anymore. I've finished modelling the exterior and going to leave it there for now. Now I'm going to record a flythrough video of the level and prepare some breakdowns to put this on my portfolio.

And finally some renders from substance painter of some statues:

• FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    The, SSAO? Ambient occlusion, however it's done, looks a bit strong in this picture. The bottom of some foliage is pretty dark. Awesome work otherwise!

• MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    Wow!! Nice job FreneticPonies!
  • cmc444
    Offline / Send Message
    cmc444 polycounter lvl 11
    Nice! I love the squirrel :wink:
  • sybrix
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome progress, came along great! Where did you get your water shader?
  • riot
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    sybrix said:
    Awesome progress, came along great! Where did you get your water shader?
    Thanks guys!
    The water is from one of the content samples that Epic released, if I remember correctly its under the learn tab, named "Water Planes" or something like that.
  • riot
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys! I've made a video for this environment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_6748pISnk
  • aclund3
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool cinematic.  Lots of fun to revist this project :)