Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beach House Environment - Seeking Color Critique and Advices

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
novem polycounter lvl 3
Hello Polycount!

I'm currently working on a beach house environment for both practise and to start my portifolio, but I feel like the colors are off, even though I can't tell why. If it's possible, I'd love to hear your opinions and advice,  please! :)

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Wish you the best, you have a long trail ahead of you. Light years away from a portfolio piece. Don't work on scenes, your not there yet. Focus on asset creation. Focus on removing symmetry and models that lack character and personality. Make your assets look like these:
    or like this (shape only) Don't make your palm trees go strait up and down. (give them a style, a form, a shape....I should find them interesting to look at all by themselves). 

Attempt to crate convincing materials (stylized or realistic)

Your hut lacks A lot of personality and doesn't really inform me of the time period or who lives there. Think of any environment as an opportunity to tell me a story, and right now your not telling me anything other than that you didn't do your research.

Newer? Richie rich?

Semi abandoned?

Neglected? (fun silhouettes?)

Opportunity to introduce some color?

Tackle some of these, create a mood board, and research what your trying to build and report back. Take on the assets with this new information and reset. (honestly this is a large undertaking and possibly too much for a beginner). My advice is that it's good to start with an interior, work small before going bigger....

Good luck.
  • novem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    novem polycounter lvl 3
    Well thank you for the advice! Actually this is a project to tackle various subjects like shader programming, procedural water etc. The outside emviromment is a little rushed since I wanted to implement it in engine as soon as possible and work a little more on the interior and on the technical art stuff. But even for a simple environment, I feel like the post-processing is a little off, and would like to know if it could be improved. I will take your suggestions into account when creating a more elaborate piece though, thanks!