Home Contests & Challenges Archives Shapeways Dota 2 3D Printing Contest Shapeways Dota 2 3D Printing - Sculpture

Comp Entry - Nature prophet bust

null
Offline / Send Message
slocik null
Since i got myself my first 3d printer this very week, cr 10 mini, i decided to try my hands at this comp as a spend few days trying to understand how 3d printing and slicing works.

At first i palnned to make full 3d pudge figure but i realized it would take a lot of time and it will be harder to print so i settled on a  bust.
In this case, this guy https://dota2.gamepedia.com/Nature's_Prophet

I used an old model of mine as a base and reworked it to start a printable base.
I wanted to have a dota logo in front on the base, but i felt it would be too much, so  for now one inspired by radiant tower base.

For now i dont like the leafs or the neck runes.
Also to reduce overhand issues for less supports i think i should modify some of those horns.

I might actually still go for the pudge, i dont know.
I will try printing a tiny 8cm version and see how it looks, or if it will be a total failure.

Replies

• Txeroki75
    Looking really nice so far!
  • slocik
    Offline / Send Message
    slocik null
    Thanks man.
    But to nobodys surprise except mine the print failed ;f
    A quick 3 hours 0,2 layer print. When it got up to the head the base snapped. Since it was printing so fast, over 60mm/sec it got a stringy.

Mostly since i set it up wrong, the base has a steep angle but no infill, so at some point the printer was forced to print in the air, and while printing in air isnt a problem for straight lines, curves end in a failure.
    I printed the head up, with infill, maybe i will glue them together.
    Yets still i messed this up, i printed the top of head from too a low layer, now i had to remove like 20 layers with a knife, which might seem easy at a glance, but really isnt.

But what i learned is that it can be printed with no support, the only problem are the very ends of the horns, and their overhang.

Actually i like how the leafs and hairs them self came out, they might seem silly in 3d but read great in a simple tiny print.
    Now im gonna make soem of them smaller and give them a more defined stylized shape.

My biggest regret is not having a grey pla plastic, or at lest brown. All i have is a one roll of black that cam with the printer ;(

• athomitron
    Nice! What machine are you prototyping on?
  • slocik
    Offline / Send Message
    slocik null
    As i said in my first post, cr 10 mini ;D
    I got one this week since it was on a sale on gearbest for less than 300$, and im trying to figure out how 3d printing works.

But yeah, i cheaped out so much on the infill on the base that the print failed ;/ Also i think setting up the print speed to the max didnt help.
    Next one i will try to not be so inpatient.

But yeahm wish i had more than one color of pla. Im printing black since its only one i have, but grey one would be best for such stuff, black is kinda hard to read, since it has a very low contrast range and shadows that give a real 3d object depth arent visible enough ;/
  • slocik
    Offline / Send Message
    slocik null
    Ok, added more detail, still not sure what to do about the stones.
    Made some small cghanges, like bigger pupils, bettter detail on the back and the base, and some more detail to the horns, fixed 2 being angles too much down, now the top one, im not sure i like how they look so i dont want to change that part but maybe just angling them up a bit will work.
    Not sure if i didnt add TOO much detail for the leafs this time, this now may seem like random noise when printed.

Also made the body under the beards, before it was just smooth geo. Im not sure why i did it, just for consistency i guess.
    Made the logo too, gonna slap it for the less detailed one on the back.

Was thinking about making holes for the rocks and printing them separately and then tying it with a bit of filament string.
    But im not sure that wont be too tacky.

• slocik
    Offline / Send Message
    slocik null
    Shit, seems i delated my previous post by mistake, oh welp.

Anyway, i made so updates to the model, detailing of the lower back, the horns, the beard a bit, the base etc.
    I even made the body under  the beard, as before it was just smooth geo now its actually there even if nobody will see it ;/
    Made the dota logo stone, will be added to the back stone instead of those low quality one.

Im still not sure about the rocks, i thought about making holes in them and printing the separately, but im not sure it wont bee too tacky, was hoping its a 1 print thing. Like ether a base and the body, or better yet whole thing in one go.

Im not sure i didnt add too much detail to the leafs this time, might come off as random noise in print.
    Time to order some grey or brown pla,  detail up the stones and try a final print.

• athomitron
    Ahh apologies I missed that- not familiar with that machine but it seems like its doing a decent job 
  • slocik
    Offline / Send Message
    slocik null
    Shit, seems i delated my previous post by mistake, oh welp.

Anyway, i made so updates to the model, detailing of the lower back, the horns, the beard a bit, the base etc.
    I even made the body under  the beard, as before it was just smooth geo now its actually there even if nobody will see it ;/
    Made the dota logo stone, will be added to the back stone instead of those low quality one.

Im still not sure about the rocks, i thought about making holes in them and printing the separately, but im not sure it wont bee too tacky, was hoping its a 1 print thing. Like ether a base and the body, or better yet whole thing in one go.

Im not sure i didnt add too much detail to the leafs this time, might come off as random noise in print.
    Time to order some grey or brown pla,  detail up the stones and try a final print.

Also i just erealize i wrote 2 updates and they were just saved as drafts i think?
    I dont see them ....
  • slocik
    Offline / Send Message
    slocik null
    Anyway, i added vines to it, more detail here and there dunno if looks better.
    Wanted to 3d print it, but obviously my 3d printers mini sd reader bursted into flames, typical Chinese quality.
    Gotta replace it.

• Txeroki75
    The vines definitely add interest to it, overall looks really good!
  • slocik
    Offline / Send Message
    slocik null
    so heres the final version 
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/MH44JSE6W/natures-prophet-for-print-with-sides-scaled-8cm-2m?optionId=65365706&li=shop-inventory

I planned to do so much still, but didnt have time due to work ;/
    Only re sculpted the leafs, here the decimated ready for print version, lost a bit of detail but so it goes, only 1/75 of the original polycount.