Home General Discussion

Is anyone here going to the Vertex Conference in London next month?

Replies

• Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    shame, it's a month too early for me - looks interesting though. Maybe next year
  • oraeles77
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
    Kwramm said:
    shame, it's a month too early for me - looks interesting though. Maybe next year
    but the AAA ticket thing is damn expensive!
  • EarthQuake
    oraeles77 said:
    Kwramm said:
    Huh? Did you mean to write inexpensive? It looks like the all access pass is 50 pounds and the expo is free.

For reference, the GDC expo passes start at $200 and the all access passes are generally over $1000.
  • Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    I might drop by the exhibition but it means taking a day off work. Might see if a colleague wants to go and I'll update here. Probably won't listen in to the talks. 
  • Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Yeah me and a colleague are going
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    oraeles77 said:
    Kwramm said:
    Huh? Did you mean to write inexpensive? It looks like the all access pass is 50 pounds and the expo is free.

For reference, the GDC expo passes start at $200 and the all access passes are generally over $1000.
    For a further reference, most conferences and expos in the UK are practically free, with free talks. By UK standards, this is expensive, and GDC is downright extortionate.
  • Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    So I just got back from this, the exhibition area was really small (only 11 booths), which wasn't the number they had on their website. It turns out the big list of companies on their website were sponsors, not exhibitors, despite being in the exhibitor section.

That said I wasn't disappointed. Keynote talkers were excellent and were real industry vets like Chris Nichols from Chaosgroup and Scott Ross ex VFX house founder (and that's selling them short). They were all discussing some really interesting topics like ethics in digi-doubles as well as a fairly in depth look at some of early VFX process for the Last Jedi.

I have been to quite a few little events around London since I moved here thanks to London Siggraph and others, I must say I really enjoy the people coming and asking questions and sharing passion for the media entertainment industry.

There were some less than ideal things, and if you were a free ticket holder I'm sorry but you probably would have missed out on all of the cool stuff. I'll try go next year too if it's annual!
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Thanks for the review!
    What other noteworthy UK CG/3D/game events are there that you know of?
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Kwramm said:
    Thanks for the review!
    What other noteworthy UK CG/3D/game events are there that you know of?
    This is a good event, 100 sessions across three days. It's held in Brighton which is a really nice seaside resort.

https://www.developconference.com
  • oraeles77
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 said:
    So I just got back from this, the exhibition area was really small (only 11 booths), which wasn't the number they had on their website. It turns out the big list of companies on their website were sponsors, not exhibitors, despite being in the exhibitor section.

That said I wasn't disappointed. Keynote talkers were excellent and were real industry vets like Chris Nichols from Chaosgroup and Scott Ross ex VFX house founder (and that's selling them short). They were all discussing some really interesting topics like ethics in digi-doubles as well as a fairly in depth look at some of early VFX process for the Last Jedi.

I have been to quite a few little events around London since I moved here thanks to London Siggraph and others, I must say I really enjoy the people coming and asking questions and sharing passion for the media entertainment industry.

There were some less than ideal things, and if you were a free ticket holder I'm sorry but you probably would have missed out on all of the cool stuff. I'll try go next year too if it's annual!
    yeah, if you were a free ticket holder there was nothing to see.
  • oraeles77
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 said:
    Kwramm said:

if you are working class 50 quid is a lot of money... yeah maybe there is an amazing lecture or something, but seriously its a lot of money.
  • Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    It really is nothing compared to student loans, software subscriptions, computer hardware costs, rent, etc. especially since it's a rare occassion, it's not like it's £50 a month...

It also does a good job of filtering out people who are only going "just-cause", rather than actually wanting to engage with the event.

It sucks if you can't afford it and really want to be there though, I get that. Only advice is to save for it the next time!
  • oraeles77
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 said:
    It really is nothing compared to student loans, software subscriptions, computer hardware costs, rent, etc. especially since it's a rare occassion, it's not like it's £50 a month...

It also does a good job of filtering out people who are only going "just-cause", rather than actually wanting to engage with the event.

It sucks if you can't afford it and really want to be there though, I get that. Only advice is to save for it the next time!
    currently I have family/financial commitments elsewhere so I can't just waste 50 quid a good friend pointed out that there is nothing there I'd learn from despite doing 3d for 6 years, im not at that sort of level.
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Hey guys, I ran into this thread just now, can I ask some questions?

Is it good for serious networking, or do you just meet another bunch of enthusiasts and make facebook friends? 
    Is it worth the time and effort to fly there for this(from greece, tickets are about 100euros) and is the 50$ pass enough? What was that AAA ticket you guys mentioned?
    Is there any other event like that worth going to, for someone like me who wants to break into the industry?