Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Resistance

Replies

• Georgia Jeffries

Thanks for the feedback @ChristenLA I've tweaked some material settings so hopefully the skin is looking better.

Been on the character treadmill for a good while, so here are 4 more characters.

Male_Merchantjpg

Fishermanjpg

Mercenaryjpg

Female_Merchantjpg

• Josh203
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh203 triangle

So ive been flat out making market stalls (:

Ive completely forgotten about proper screenshots, so heres some screenshots of the gifs from last week and the market stalls ive made!

Also 80Level published an interview they did with us about the project, feel free to check it out (:

https://80.lv/articles/vertical-slice-building-a-medieval-city/

1png

2png

3png

5png

7png

5c792754d3437c00d989540e387a4167gif

65a06af12c592f02949e0719d94415b8gif

• jaker3278
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    Keep up the good work , appreciate all of the progress images and videos you are posting. Great work! 
  • Georgia Jeffries
    jaker3278 said:
    Keep up the good work , appreciate all of the progress images and videos you are posting. Great work! 
    Thank you! Much more to come! :)

I'm moving onto our playable character! I will be updating this a lot as I would love as much feedback as possible on this, so here is the base body sculpt.

Base_Body1_HPSculptpng

• Avcat
    Offline / Send Message
    Avcat vertex
    I've started making progress on the ai in the first section of the city. I'm using the Open World AI Spawn System by TiMer Games on the Unreal Marketplace which is making things much easier and more polished looking than the other methods I researched previously. So far I'm pleased with how it looks. There are quite a few duplicates as not all the characters have been rigged and I am in the middle of doing some more different walk animations to give some better variety so eventually it will look much busier and more crowded. I was surprised at how much of a difference it made having just a few people moving around and I'm eager to get more in to really feel the atmosphere of the city.

Here are the paths I put in and some gifs of the progress so far

d0440a7dfb110cebf07b8f7534ced1fegif

e5117edf743bf8b910d03e5d51db0489gif

• Georgia Jeffries

After some feedback, I have tried to change the main character's face to look a bit more heroic and good-looking. Crit appreciated! 

NewHeadpng

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Crazy amount of work going on in here. Pretty awesome stuff.
  • Georgia Jeffries
    Crazy amount of work going on in here. Pretty awesome stuff.

Thanks! We're just working on getting as much detail in there as possible.

Got the cloth for the main character together. The aim for the design was to make him look like a badass. I'm going for a Scottish theme for him so he has some identity (the cloth across and around him with the pleats will kind of kilt-like and the "squiggles" on there as masks will be textured as some kind of Celtic style tattoos with half a head of hair.

MDClothpng

• Josh203
  • FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    This is really fascinating.

I'd up the scale on the two lions above the last gate. They look entirely too small at the moment. Otherwise, well, looking forward to seeing it finished!
  • Georgia Jeffries
    This is really fascinating.

I'd up the scale on the two lions above the last gate. They look entirely too small at the moment. Otherwise, well, looking forward to seeing it finished!
    Thank you! The lions are placeholders for now, I believe Josh has just started work on that area so expect updates for that soon!

I've managed to get the main character's high poly together! Shout out if there's any improvements that can be made.

HPTurnaroundjpg

HPTurnaround2jpg

• CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    I'm not a character modeller so I cant give precise feedback but the face looks weird. Its hard to tell without a closeup but maybe you could try to move the eyes down a bit or perhaps move the brow up.

• Georgia Jeffries
    CybranM said:
    I'm not a character modeller so I cant give precise feedback but the face looks weird. Its hard to tell without a closeup but maybe you could try to move the eyes down a bit or perhaps move the brow up.

I can see what you mean so I had a go at trying to make him look a little more natural.

• Georgia Jeffries

Just thought I would post the full high poly for the main character again after the changes. I got rid of the extra bit on the sword after some feedback.

Portraitjpg      Portrait2jpg

Turnaroundjpg

• PolyPushr
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyPushr polycounter lvl 2
    Josh203 said:

Ive been working on a way to create a pavement system where i can create it and modify its properties in engine, to get some nice sweeping pathways. Its a blueprint system that creates mesh based on a spline and has parameters to tweak the twistyness, width and options to turn the side walks on and off (: The texture on it isnt final, still working on it and refining it, and ill be vertex painting puddles/mud/dirt over it in the coming weeks (:

Ignore the people walking in the spot, our animator added her animation in the scene since she was pre vising (:

27e5d8ca3fd12b42c889fcfe903b6481gif

14a775c901eb881353ffa8079ba824b4gif

Hey loved watching how this has grown! would you mind sharing your blueprint set up for the spline system at all? :) Also how did you go about the Ivy on the buildings? I've been trying to create this effect for a while but I just can't get great results like yours! 

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I've said this before but it really needs to be said again... You're focusing on quantity of characters over the quality of them. You NEED to go back and fix up the anatomy of your characters, because as it stands right now, not a single one of them is good enough.

Your portfolio would look better with 2 amazing characters, than 10 mediocre ones.
  • Georgia Jeffries
    I've said this before but it really needs to be said again... You're focusing on quantity of characters over the quality of them. You NEED to go back and fix up the anatomy of your characters, because as it stands right now, not a single one of them is good enough.

Your portfolio would look better with 2 amazing characters, than 10 mediocre ones.
    I know what you mean, and I am aware that I may have spread myself too thin with this project. There were too many characters for just one person to do (we do now have some other characters being worked on by other people so the situation has improved from before). The reason for me going with the modular NPCs was so we had a project that wasn't just an empty town but one that was alive and busy.

In hindsight, a project like this was not the best thing for me personally when it comes to my portfolio as a character artist but without the number of characters I have produced, the project would not be what we wanted.

I'm now working to make the main character, and hopefully that will give me at least one "amazing character" in my portfolio as well as the skills I have obtained to work quickly and somewhat efficiently (on my Artstation, the NPC characters are laid out as one project as a whole). I am not sure how much time I will have to edit the NPCs now except for adding variety in the texture colours and mixing and matching the parts around but, hopefully, with them being fairly low poly background characters, it shouldn't hurt the overall look and feel of the project.
  • Josh203
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh203 triangle

Been making the Lords house for the past few days, managed to finish the LP of more of less the whole building, and started texturing the bottom floor. Been sculpting some HPs as well (: Most things are placeholders for now and ill get round to replacing it all with the final assets! 

• Georgia Jeffries

After feedback I made some more head improvements. I had trouble making sure he didn't look too brutish so made sure I didn't make the head too square. I've been retopping everything and I changed up the sword again and also moved in some of the cloth at the sides of the body.

AOjpg

Here's the wireframe. He's around 80k tris. (Head was done in Wrap3. All the geo is there for a face rig.)

WFjpg

• Josh203
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh203 triangle
    Heres the Beta (: Still got a lot to do but we're getting there! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUaRtmSIvZk
  • Georgia Jeffries

Here is the textured main character. Crit welcome!

CWTextured_Portraitpng

CWTextured_Turnaroundpng

There's also a Marmoset Viewer link here: https://www.artstati...m/artwork/yLoZ9

• Avcat
    Offline / Send Message
    Avcat vertex

I have been really terrible about keeping my stuff updated on here. Things got hectic with the doing the dissertation. I have now, after lots of revision and help from someone at Unreal, managed to get that Assassins Creed style pushing aside the NPCs. I've used ray tracing to detect the proximity to the player as it is much less resource heavy than using box triggers however I think the animation still needs some work as it's triggering a little slow right now. I also still have to do the animation for the player pushing them but I don't yet have the rig of the player character. It's difficult to get a gif that properly shows it but you can kinda see it here. I will be much more obvious in the final video. 

Aside from that, I have been animating other miscellaneous things. I have a dice game in the scene now and the merchant selling his stuff in the stalls. Along with a sweep, an updated scrub and a guy checking things off a clipboard. Some of these animations are a little longer and as I can only capture 7 second gifs I can't show you the whole thing but you get the gist. I've had to knock these out quite fast so they're a little rough around the edges but feedback is always welcome. 

Also apologies for the lag but my computer is slowly dying and can't really handle this project anymore. I am getting a new one next week.0c73518e80200b03dd110dd1ef9208bfgif

32ed1213a00d4f704e6d11d598dd80f0gif

33f881246c69b5ed5eb6b7337ebda5afgif959a04758ddd65572d20548975bcff05giffab3050a929a2db96062a28d7d6d1375gif

354bff6d6f2ceb0e0c123ba33ca1e603gif

• Georgia Jeffries

I have got the main character in the scene but he needed a few tweaks after seeing him from the third person view. I have flipped some on the more interesting visuals onto the right and have changed the colours a bit to make him contrast the environment.

Highres_Screenshot00008png

This is roughly what we are looking at for the third person camera.

Highres_Screenshot00009png

• Avcat
    Offline / Send Message
    Avcat vertex

I've been working on animations for the player character. So far I have a walk and jog which I'm pretty happy with but I think the jog still needs some work. Some advice on how to make it look better would be great. There is clipping but this is the first version of the rig so skinning needs to be fixed.

10f16740178198495f28f3e732400a9bgife10a5902e4ddadee59014d7b6f098101gif

• Josh203
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh203 triangle

The Resistance Final

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWbtHHsinVI

This is the final version of The Resistance!  It’s been an incredibly long journey to get here but it’s finally finished and we're really happy with how its turned out. There’s a few things in the video that we're not quite happy with, but it'll do (:

We have decided we won't be improving it any further. The main purpose of doing this project, apart from completing our degrees, was getting a job in the games industry.  3/4 members of the team have got AAA game studio jobs, so we don’t feel the need to keep working on the project. (and also we're shattered and really need sleep)

Thank you to everyone who was involved in the project and helped out along the way!

Also, a huge thank you to all the people reading our posts throughout the year on the project and offered crit and advice!

We'll be writing one more 80 level article and an article the rookies have asked us to write, so keep an eye out for that!

For now, that’s me and the team done!! (:

All the best! (: