Home Technical Talk

[MAYA] Question about connecting two pieces of geometry...

Greetings!

I have a question in regards to connecting two pieces of geometry in Maya in order to weld vertices and connect them together.

I have two "beams" of the same dimensions; I have combined the meshes and I am now trying to find a way to connect them without the use of boolean ops.

I have included a picture below to try and better illustrate what I'm trying to do...

I want to add two loop cuts, or just cut the geo in general, so that I can delete the face and weld the top piece to the bottom piece.

I have tried using the multi-cut tool and tried snapping to a vertex on the upper geo to no avail.

Thank you in advance for any advice that anyone can provide...

Replies

• bentraje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bentraje polycounter lvl 7
    How about using the bridge tool/command?
  • wanna_be_gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bentraje said:
    How about using the bridge tool/command?
    The bridge tool would depend on me having the cuts in the lower geometry already.

Once I make the proper cuts in the lower geometry, the bridge tool would be an option to connect the pieces...

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Try adding edge loops normally, and then snap them to the widths of the piece of geometry above.
  • wanna_be_gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow said:
    Try adding edge loops normally, and then snap them to the widths of the piece of geometry above.

Thanks for the tip.

This appears to be where my problem lies.  When adding edge loops I can't seem to get them to snap to the geometry.  I tried snapping to grids, curves and vertices via the hot keys but they seem to be ignored.

I did snap one piece to the other, then did a boolean difference and extruded the face that was left.  This gets me what I want.  There just HAS to be a way to do an edge loop or multi-cut to get the same effect.

Maybe I'm just being picky.  Here is a screen shot of the boolean/extrude method.

PS. My ultimate is to get rid of the two bottom faces that won't be seen...
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Snap the vertices after creating the loop.  Disable maintain component spacing for bonus points (and the ability to snap them all at once) 

It's maya,  if it seems like it should be a 1 click solution,  you'll inevitably need 3