Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Danny D

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ddore1986 polycounter lvl 9
So it was a rocky 2017 having graduated Dec 2016 and obtaining my first contract with Iloura (Melbourne) in February 2017 for 3 months as a model/texture artist. After the three months I had an awesome 3 week holiday in the States & Canada (Canada for a Wedding) before it was back to sunny Australia. Since being back in Aus, I've been struggling to find any work in my field at my level. I spent a good 3 months looking before giving in to the Mon-Fri, 9-5 Grind. The main reason being I needed money. I've still been looking and applying but still have not had any joy. Now it's January 2018 and I need to face facts that my portfolio just isn't good enough to get work. So I'm starting a new project "iphone girl" and I'm going to document the process here. Below is the concept image I'm using created by the very talented Laia Lopez, if you haven't already, go and check her Instagram out @itslopez

Below is an example of a rendered model in the style I'm looking to achieve:

Artist: Rayza Alvarez

I will upload progress as often as I can, I look forward to sharing this with you guys...

Replies

• ddore1986
    Offline / Send Message

So this is what I've produced so far over the last couple nights, typically I'll work from 7 until 9:30 - 10ish (damn work):

I'm finding it quite difficult to work out her proportions from this pose, also the baggy jacket isn't helping. So I've worked up what I have from a lower res using dynamesh, I haven't attached the head and hands just yet as I want to get the proportions right everywhere else first. Looking at the head on the top character strip I feel it's a little big. I will try and get some fresh eyes on it overnight to get some feedback before I go any further. If anyone's reading this then feedback at any point is welcomed. This is the first thing I've sculpted in a long while and I can feel the spark igniting again :)

• ddore1986
    Offline / Send Message
    So after some awesome feedback I received over the last few days I've been refining the model. I'll go over the adjustments Ive made so far. I made the legs longer and thickened up the calves, I've also tried to maintain the curves and straights. I made the thighs smaller and shifted the weight from the outside to the inside. I also pulled her bottom up slightly. I've made the breast smaller and pushed them up (as if she's was wearing a bra). I made the deltoids longer to make the arms look more elegant.  The connection between the delt and the bicep look more natural and I correct the shape of the forearm. Regarding the hands, I made the thumb larger, fingers slighty shorter and bent the fingers slightly too. Now to the face. I've added more puppy fat to make her feel younger, pulled her chin up so the mouth, chin and nose are closer. I tried to follow the eyeline more to the concept. Softened up the whole face in general. I also added a hair placeholder. I've probably missed a couple but here are the pics:

I'm hoping to have flushed out the shapes by the end of the week so I can begin re-topology. That's all for today, Super tired. Goodnight guys
  • ddore1986
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is a mini update just to show progress. I've softened everything up a touch and fixed some wobbliness in some areas, mainly the eyes. I've pulled the cheeks forward some more and bunched up her facial features a tad to make her feel younger. I feel that since adding the lower eyelash it's helped me get closer to the shape I want for the eye. I've also started to try and work the hair into the rough shape of the concept to see if I'm on the right track. It's been quite a challenge trying to match it to the 3/4 view on the concept but I think I'm headed in the right direction. I've also been working on her body but I'll update you on that later. 

• ddore1986
    Offline / Send Message
    So tonight I've just been doing some more blocking/refining of the hair. I still have a lot of figuring out to do as I can't see the back of her head in the concept. I decided to leave it here for now and come back tomorrow with fresh eyes.

• ddore1986
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on sharpening the hair up recently, STILL not entirely happy with it. Made some minor changes to the body and worked on sharpening up the shoes. I'm going to get some feedback overnight and I'm hoping to add the jacket over the coming week at which point I think it should really start coming together.

• ddore1986
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked on the shoes a bit last night (needed a break from the hair and anatomy. I modeled the whole thing in Zbrush so far but I think I'll take it to Maya shortly to clean up the topology etc. After taking some time away from it (since taking this screen shot) the heel area is looking a little off I feel there's too much of an angle and I will correct that tonight. In the reference she has knotted her laces so I'll also try and figure out what I'm going to do with that. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to keep the laces the way they are at the moment, we'll see.

• BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Lots of great progress made here, love the latest face & hair updates. Finding work in Aus can be a drag, but at this rate I bet you'll have some luck in no time flat. Also nice to see some Canberra folks around :p
  • ddore1986
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero said:
    Lots of great progress made here, love the latest face & hair updates. Finding work in Aus can be a drag, but at this rate I bet you'll have some luck in no time flat. Also nice to see some Canberra folks around :p
    Thanks man, yeah, just got to keep pushing forward :smile: I'm applying everywhere with no joy, I blame Canberra :expressionless: You from Canberra too then?
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Yeah, AIE Canberra grad in fact. Remember seeing your viking dude on the wall, you've come a long way since! Just moved to South Aus fairly recently, though. Similar scene in terms of jobs unfortunately, though bigger state does mean more folks to meet at least :*

• ddore1986
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero said:
    Yeah, AIE Canberra grad in fact. Remember seeing your viking dude on the wall, you've come a long way since! Just moved to South Aus fairly recently, though. Similar scene in terms of jobs unfortunately, though bigger state does mean more folks to meet at least :*

Thanks man! AIE feels like a lifetime ago! Yeah I'm actually interested in Adelaide, you've got Rising Sun and The Mill is coming soon :smiley: I just want to break out of Canberra..
  • ddore1986
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been trying to make it feel more like a shoe by softening up some lines and making it feel more man made. I've added stitching, a knot and made some slight tweaks to the overall shape of the shoe. I still need to play with the shapes as I'm still not 100% happy with it, and I need to add the pattern to the underside of the soul. I'll probably pinch the laces as they go into the holes a little more and make the laces a little wider too.

• ddore1986
    Offline / Send Message
    I've started to block in some clothing for her, I decided against using Marvelous Designer as i'm fairly new to that software still and thought it would be overkill for what I need from it anyway. Plus I'm heaps quicker in Zbrush. I just managed to get the base shapes in there and I'll be looking at refining them over the next week when I have chance. As I've said before I think a lot of the shape/wrinkles on the jacket will come once I've put her into her final pose. Bring on the retopo...