Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Environment Art Challenge - January and February 2018 (52)

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Almost finished the blockout. Wiring is done. Added a table on the back top floor, and I put a sleeping back inside. Might also put a crate in the top floor as well. Don't mind the crappy renders... I completely forgot how to render with Maya and I don't care to re-learn right now!

• Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool
    So realization totally set in that I'm not approaching the hard surface challenge as a ship racing course as it's meant to be, but I think I'm ultimately going to roll with my initial thought of it as a futuristic pedestrian path with a little drone on it. :sweat_smile:
  • polypassion
    Offline / Send Message
    polypassion polycounter lvl 8
    @kwagner, you can create a second camera with an image plane attached and align the concept with the grid. That will make sure that the model fits the concept perfectly http://prntscr.com/i3tu0x
  • AndySC
    Offline / Send Message
    AndySC polycounter lvl 5
    The uv sheet is the coloured texture sheet from Blender. Great to use on the model,  but terrible as a background when working on the uvs.
    @Pinkfox Don't worry, I initially thought it was for a pedestrian walkway. Stick with it, it'll be interesting to see different scale models from the concept.
  • Dennis_Levi
    Offline / Send Message
    Dennis_Levi polycounter lvl 4
    Hey all,

want to show you my update on the hard surface knife.
    Think I'm already done with the High Poly. I want to add further details on the handle later in substance painter.

I'm still considering what's the material of the loop around the handle. I think it's a kind of plastic material.
    What do you think? Maybe metal or fabric material?

@jedenjenda23: Your Blockout is realy well! I would say the front part of the handle could be me more tight. I'm excited to see your HP with more details :smile:

• jedenjenda23
    Offline / Send Message
    jedenjenda23 polycounter lvl 6
    @Zerogun That's fantastic! I am wondering how you're gonna retopologize this. I have only experience with organic models and found myself stuck on this when it comes to retopology of complex hard surface. Please can you give me some tips, hints or at least share some sources? Thanks and keep up good work!
  • Gibby1995
    Offline / Send Message
    Gibby1995 polycounter lvl 4
    Thought Id have a go on the Hand painted, I am a bit late but this is my blockout so far. Still need to ad way more to the Blockout but Im happy with my progress so far.
  • cameronthughes
    Offline / Send Message
    cameronthughes polycounter lvl 9
    Little late to the party on posting but, I just wanted to stop in and post where I'm at. Going to start Uving out stuff here soon. So I should have plenty of time to get this in unreal and finish it all out.  
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    @cameronthughes Looking wicked! I love what you've done with the back of the building.

Going to start some high poly stuff now. Not much is going to need a high poly created, just boxes, garbage, arcade games, that sort of stuff.

Can someone please explain Metal/Rough workflow for stylized? Will I be adding metal and rough maps or should I paint that sort of detail into the base colour? What is the usual workflow for this? Any help is appreciated.

• jedenjenda23
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished!
    It's not as good looking as I thought it will be, but I am happy with my participation in this challenge. My main goal was finally break the fear of making hard surface stuff and get out of comfort zone. This challenge at least gave me a lot of experience, courage and I will definetly participate regulary! Here is screen grab from Unity! :D Have a nice day!!!!
  • Gibby1995
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, gunna add a bit more detail and maybe fill the back of the scene. the I can move into the UVing, and the eventually Unreal.   

• Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerogun polycounter lvl 9
    @jedenjenda23 Thanks for the kind words. So when I start a lot of my hi poly work I usually get a rough silhouette going. Then, when I like the form, I usually add on a turbosmooth with an Iteration of 2 and set Separate by: Smoothing Groups (a lot cleaner than reinforced edges by my opinion). So when I get the model I want, off goes the turbosmooth, and I begin to cut back any extra details I cut into my model.

On the top is my hi poly which is about 146k poly count. The lo poly beneath it is sitting at about 2200 polys. A really good source that I learned a lot from was the Mech Tutorial from Chamferzone. It's kind of where I shifted my workflow and sped up.
  • cameronthughes
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis Thanks man! You've done well yourself. For stylized stuff you treat it just like anything else really. Having everything hand painted with realish looking metal can look nice. Just depends on what you're going for. I'd go check out some stylized games you like or find some specific art you'd want to shoot for and just see what they do. Rime and the new Kings Quest come to mind. 

@jedenjenda23 turned out nice! 
  • jedenjenda23
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zerogun thank you for sharing this. I will definetly check Chamferzone.
  • Gibby1995
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some detail to the front and back today, I think I might move to UVing tomorrow, Im really digging this challenge, I think I might have some trouble when it comes to painting, but i'm looking forward to messing about. 
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    I was able to get a Marmoset render during lunch of my stuff. 

I have gotten some critique on it and need to go back and fix a few things. I have the base design down though. I'm mostly happy with the textures.
  • Vedax
    Offline / Send Message
    Vedax polycounter lvl 3
    Hey guys I decided to participate in this challenge (my first challenge ever) I am also looking for work and new experiences to build up my portfolio as environment & texture artist :) Here are first screens from unity just blocking out stuff and getting proportions right :) 
  • algoru
    Offline / Send Message
    algoru polycounter lvl 5
    Hello, everybody. I've done highpoly model of  statue. How it looks? Scary or crappy  enouth? Should I fix something before retopo and painting? Anybody have some advices? 

• Gibby1995
    Offline / Send Message
    @algoru I'd suggest maybe chipping a little chunk out of the left wing maybe a little bit on the knuckles, as they seem to be cleaner in terms of ware that the rest of the statue. other than that I like what your doing. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    @algoru Good work man! The crack that parts into two directions, right under the point of the shield, I think it needs a little bit of touch up to make it look more like a crack.
    @Vedax I'd maybe thicken the platform holding the stairs a bit. The stairs look mighty heavy!

I've created the high poly stuff, but a lot of the meshes that don't need to be baked don't have a high poly, thus I deleted a bunch of them. Here's my completed low poly. Time to start UVing.

• Dennis_Levi
    Offline / Send Message
    Dennis_Levi polycounter lvl 4
    Hey all,

wanted to share my current status with you.
    Yesterday I finished my Low Poly and started to texture.

Still some work to do. Have to tweak some points with the bake/normal map, but I like to hear your suggestions for the texture.

Thanks!
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tomsn
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomsn triangle
    looks pretty good!
  • YanaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    YanaZ null
    Hi everyone!
    I almost finished modeling the house. This is my first stylized project ever so critique is very much appreciated!
    Thinking of using Marmoset for rendering.
    Cheers

• cameronthughes
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dennis_Levi It's turning out pretty good! That background though makes is really hard to see what's going on. Maybe go in a blur the background so it's not so hard to see the details. 
  • Derzo
    Offline / Send Message
    Derzo polycounter lvl 5

Decided not to hand-paint my hand-painted category entry, really wanted to start learning substance painter. About half of the whole thing is now textured. There is some UV overlap causing issues on the metal panels on the hut, so I'll have to repaint that one.
  • asah53
    Offline / Send Message
    asah53 vertex
    First time participating at environment art challenge for me. I wanted to try out something from the hand painted section. Instead of handpainting, I have used Substance Painter. I did not get the proportions right, espacially the face and the wearing is also not so good. The texture maps are looking ok, so overall I think it is still OK... 
  • Derzo
    Offline / Send Message
    Derzo polycounter lvl 5
    Alright, I'll call it done! More screenshots here https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WqAd3
  • Vincent074
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent074 polycounter lvl 7
    asah53 said:
    First time participating at environment art challenge for me. I wanted to try out something from the hand painted section. Instead of handpainting, I have used Substance Painter. I did not get the proportions right, espacially the face and the wearing is also not so good. The texture maps are looking ok, so overall I think it is still OK... 
    working on this one too :) 
    Would look nice if you broke up the material a bit more tho.. some edge wear (like you implied) or more gradients on the illuminating parts
  • xX0r1oNXx
    Offline / Send Message
    xX0r1oNXx polycounter lvl 6
    Super late start here.
    Beginning with Fusion 360 for the silhouette / basic details, planning to transition into ZBrush after.
    Spent tonight working on the handle - there are a few more details I want to add, but I'm pretty happy with the shape and thickness so far.

Thoughts?

• dvisionvoid
    Offline / Send Message
    dvisionvoid polycounter lvl 6
    Hey all! Here is the result of my first day of modeling, hope you like it!

www.ezequielleiva.com

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    @dvisionvoid Looks great! I'd suggest shortening the overhang, it looks like it sticks out too far.
  • BramScrum
    Offline / Send Message
    BramScrum polycounter lvl 5
    Hello all!
    This is my first try with these monthly challenges but I am enjoying it so far! I took a shot at the stylized house. I love the design + I need to brush up my stylize art skills. This is the result of an afternoon work. Still needs some optimizations because some polies are all over the place. I also need to check the smoothing groups of some pieces and I need to add some parts and details. Maybe some parts need to be a bit more bent or less straight to get a more "sketched" feeling. But I'm getting tired so I call it a day. (And sorry for the crappy screenshots).
  • AndySC
    Offline / Send Message
    AndySC polycounter lvl 5

Getting the Base colours laid down and starting to paint in some details in Substance.  Running into some issues with smoothing I missed earlier,  but should be able to sort those out .
  • BramScrum
    Offline / Send Message
    BramScrum polycounter lvl 5
    AndySC I am now at the same stage as you! Just finished my color blockout. I think your scene is missing some detail (unless this is still a model blockout). The Arcade machines are nicely detailed but the rest of the building is missing this detail.

@dvisionvoid Looks great! Nice amount of detail. The only thing that eems off is your proportions like someone mentioned earlier.

YanaZ  Nice work! Not sure if you want a game model because otherwise it could us some optimisation on the polies. If you got the time you could create a high poly verion and bake it. Great job by barely using straight lines, gives a very sketchy look and feel!

I just finished my color blockout. Not sure yet what I will do with the billboards and screens. I maybe write a shader in UE4 for these.

• Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    After a lot of back and forth I got some major fixes into my model and my textures. I think this is a good stopping point for my knife.

If I have time, I'll see if I can start that environment.
  • JFlory46
    Offline / Send Message
    JFlory46 polycounter lvl 2
    Hi All!!!

Everyone's work here is really inspiring, and It made me want to try modeling one of these concepts myself. I decided to go with the blaster from the hard surface category. I had a lot of firsts with this project, including my first time participating one of these challenges, and first time modeling something for a game engine. This was rendered in Unreal Engine 4. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot while making this model. I am still fairly new to 3D modeling so any critiques are very much appreciated!!! 

• Tomsn
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomsn triangle
    Hi,

@Derzo, really like your building. :)

Heres my result of the Highpoly, will add a few more cracks and asymmetrical details and then i start retopo.
    I really learnt a lot!!! Any critiques or thoughts on it?

Have a nice day. :-)

• Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 7
    Great job so far @Tomsn ! Really like the chipping and cracks. Only thing I would point out probably is the floor that seems too detailed/rough compared to the statue.

• Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool
    Looks great at this point, @Tomsn! It might be better to extend the floor piece down to match the rocks around it. I'd even argue that there should be significant cracks in it if the floor rock were that thin though that's simply my opinion on the matter.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Baked and ready to texture!!!

• Thistle
    Offline / Send Message
    Thistle triangle
    My first Polycount Challenge! I decided to tackle the beautiful prop concept. Just finished the bulk of the blockout, nearly ready to take it into Zbrush and go wild! :) Lovely progress everyone!

• Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that's a really impressive high poly there @Tomsn. I'll be curious how you low poly it and keep some of those nice details baked in.
    And that is a really impressive building piece @Ashervisalis. I'm hoping the texturing comes out strong.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zerogun Thanks man!

I started laying down some base colors and materials to prep for the painting. I spent some time adding scratches to the building in ZBrush but the normal map came out looking pretty weak. I'll find a way to intensify it later.

• Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    I am going to also try that sci-fi race diorama piece. I've been really inspired by those Wartile set pieces that look so gorgeous. So I'm going to try this in that edge-cut style.

This is my grey strokes piece to get a work of variant colors that I can move around and get a pattern. Those trees are assets borrowed from UE4's Kite demo (I'm not that good with trees).
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Started painting in rust and bird droppings. Also textured the arcade games, but have yet to add weathering. The cords going from the computer won't stop glowing and I can't figure out why  :p It looks pretty dope, so I'm not making a huge complaint yet. Also made the cobblestone street, will figure out a way of making the stones surround the curb instead of just going under the curb.

• Gibby1995
    Offline / Send Message
    So I think Im about done, and I would love some feedback. I relay enjoyed this challenge I don't have that much experience with hand painted projects so I learned quite a bit. I Still want to display this in Unreal but I gave to fix my light maps as its giving me some horrible lighting bakes.
    @Ashervisalis  Loving the the work so far, although the neon wires seem to be out of place and Id also reduce the size of the cobble stone as the seem to be a bit to big for the scene. I hope this helps.

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gibby1995 Thanks! I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the neon wires. I didn't put any emissive on that part of the texture, so can't figure it out. Regarding yours, I have a few suggestions;
    - Add some grunge to the edge of the curb.
    - Increase the roughness on the red building material.
    - There is something off about the garbage can material. Maybe make it more shiny and metallic?
  • Gibby1995
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis  Cool thanks for the feedback I'll make the changes in a bit I'm gunna try and sort my lightmaps out for UE4 first cause its doing my tree in 

• Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 7
    @Gibby1995 My feedback would be about how you interpreted the dirty leaks from the concept. The height/normal information make it seems rust damage, but the base floor pillar seems to me like it's concrete. Another evident point is the lack/inconsistency of bevels across the scene.

@Ashervisalis Looking great. You could maybe crank the lighting a bit though! I think it would add a lot.