Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Character Art - Postman Singed - JunkieKong

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
JunkieKong greentooth
FINISHED!!! (scroll down for the rest of the shots)

Hey all, after the last Riot Art Comp I wanted to get in on the action, and I guess this would be my first competition entry on Polycount!
So full disclaimer: I am not a League player, if I'm making a weird choice and doing something that would make no sense for the game, don't be afraid to call me out on it! I don't know a lot about League, but I do like the character designs and hope I can do them justice.

I've decided to go with Singed, and want to make a postman skin for him, where he spreads letters and uh lobs parcels at people I guess. The idea is he uses a large mail box door as his shield, and on his back an overstuffed box leaking mail. Eventually I realised it would make more sense if door was from the mail box on his back, so that's the plan now, as long as I can still make it recognisable and get the scale looking right.

Well, I'd better get on with it, watch this space.

Replies

• Kazefield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazefield polycounter lvl 3
    Sounds like a fun idea XD
    Can't wait to see the result :3
  • Jager
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jager polycounter lvl 9
    Hilarious!! :D
    Love the concept, that mail trail is legit
  • yararstss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yararstss polycounter lvl 6
    Of couse this man ill never be late hahahaha Nice idea! Looking foward  :D
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Update time! I've mucked around blocking this guy out, so I have something to use as a (nasty) base for the sculpt. Already I'm finding issues with my original idea, looks like I was right to be concerned about the scale of his shield and post box on the back. The problem is that if I make the door the right size to fit the box on his back, we get a shield that is too small and a box that is too large.

It's a shame, I thought the idea was pretty solid. So I'm at a bit of a loss for where to go from here, a giant door does make a cool shield but then it seems weird to be paired with a much smaller post box on the back. And at the same time that old fashioned post box works as a good replacement for the original gas canister, because of its shape and function. Can anybody think of something else appropriate for a postman that would make a good shield? I haven't yet.

In the meantime I've started on the sculpt, still roughing things in, not sure I like his proportions... I think his head might need to be shrunk.

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Okay another WIP on the sculpt, much happier with his proportions and have got most of his outfit blocked in now. So I'll be starting to move on to details soon enough, make his mug more messed-up etc.
    Still haven't settled on anything for his backpack and shield though.

• JamesTeeple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha cool Idea, can totally imagine the trail of papers floating behind him xD
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Aaargggh I'm falling behind, but I am still putting in some time when I can! I'm thinking for the backpack I'll go back to my initial idea of a more compact modern looking post box, I don't think it reads as well from the front which is a shame. But it works.

• Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good so far.  Get on those sleepless nights!

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Ugh so I think I'm gonna have to leave the highpoly here in the interest of actually finishing on time, I'm thinking a lot of details will be quicker for me to paint in when texturing anyway.

Maybe he still needs his belt pouches to break up symmetry?
  • henrykuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex
    A truly interesting touch. Love it! XD

Keep the belt pouches!!! It should be the essential prop for him to slow or snare the enemies.
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Cheers @henrykuh I ended up making some quick n dirty belt pouches!

So I reckon I'll start on retopo tonight, in the meantime I mucked around with a few ideas for colours:

Leaning most towards the first option, I want to avoid bright red and like the drab maroon uniform.

Also, I whacked the sculpt straight into marmoset to take some nicer shots:

• henrykuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex
    Both red and blue look nice, just feels a bit desaturated. Good luck with topology, (if you are doing it by hand!)
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    I like the red and blue one, but I personally feel like you could add in some details that have a different complementary color,. Will you be making his mailbox as well? 
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    True, it might look a bit desaturated at the moment, my thoughts were that his shield and mailbox will be a bit more vibrant and I didn't want to go too crazy with the intensity. @Nuclear Angel I think I'll at least try having some different coloured trim for the jacket or something, not sure how best I can inject some details/break up the colours, but I am concerned about the uniform looking a bit boring. I'll definitely try some stuff out when texturing!
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Retopo is just about done, was a bit of a nightmare to get almost everything combined into one mesh. It's currently at 6k tris which is probably a good number when I still have to make his shield, mail box, pouches etc.

Hopefully bakes soon!
  • yararstss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yararstss polycounter lvl 6
    Yeh! This has made much progress, and I still love the design and idea so much. :) Like Nuclear Angel said, the second is really better, sound more like a classic postman. Retopology is on point too. Great work so far. =}
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Hey @yararstss cheers for the feedback! I'm actually getting onboard with the idea of a blue uniform, but I don't want him looking like a cop, so maybe something more vibrant? I'll try some ideas out soon. Btw, saw your finished comp entry and it came out great, congrats!

Instead of doing bakes today, figured I had better model out the shield and mail box first. And for the sake of saving time I'm not gonna do high polys for these ones, I'll have a crack at painting textures from scratch.

Total tri count for these is at 8.1k, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

Any thoughts on design before I finalise UVs and start texturing?
  • chemotoledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    Nice skin :smile: I like the idea. And great work so far, nice high poly and lowpoly. I really like what I see so far ^^ I'll look forward for more of this character :smiley: Keep going buddy! 
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Hey thanks chemo, it's starting to come together!

So I've finished UVs and done all the bakes for a base texture, certainly not a perfect bake, but I figure I'll be painting over it anyway so not much point tweaking it further.

Here's what the UVs look like - SO MANY PIECES. But it works. I left some space in the top corner for some extra bits I might make later on.

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Got a start on textures, everything is still super WIP as I try to work out a colour scheme. Wanted to avoid using too much bright red so thats why the mail box is blue, but I'm not 100% sold on it. Hopefully things will look better when I do a proper pass on highlights/shadows!

Still got plenty to do before the deadline - any input about the colour scheme before I get stuck in?
  • Zerahtai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerahtai vertex
    I love the notion !!  Running around leaving letters everywhere !  Keep it up!

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Hello, I'm still working on textures - been doing lots of cleaning up and detailing the body and he's starting to come together. Moving on to the mail box currently and tryna get that looking nice. You'll notice I made his hat red, so its now a lot more readable from above - when he has his red shield that should balance colours out a bit more. Maybe white isn't working for the little flag thing on the side of the hat?

Erm, ignore the shitty texture on  the letters for now.
    Still a ways to go and I'm feeling the pressure for the approaching deadline!
  • Howling Carnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howling Carnage polycounter lvl 5
    I think the mail texture looking like that is fine for in-game. I love this so much, but I'm curious as to what his glue puddle would be. 
  • GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    Looking forward for more! Neat handpainting already. Also, agreeing with @Howling Carnage  the mail texture is fine in this state.
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Cheers guys, you're probably right about the texture - I have the habit of getting up close and wanting to refine everything, which would normally be unnecessary for an actual game character.
    @Howling Carnage I'm also curious as to what his glue puddle could be! My earlier cop-out idea was to just give him his regular flask but packaged up like a parcel, it wouldn't be very recognisable though.
  • Howling Carnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howling Carnage polycounter lvl 5
    I think Postman Singed running around with a parcel perfectly fits the skin theme, and although not easily recognizable per say as his flask/vial/potion, it still makes sense. The Beekeeper Singed skin that came out last year has him holding a giant honeycomb as his shield and tosses a pot of honey. 
    The glue trap could be dropping a giant stamp, maybe a pile of mail, or adds this RNG weather texture on the ground where it'll randomly select rain puddles, snow drifts, ect because ""Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    @Howling Carnage the stamp is a good idea! That and parcel tape were the only potentially sticky things I could think of that are in theme. If I have time would be cool to concept up these abilities for the final presentation, we'll see.

So I'm just about done with the texture I think, the end is in sight and I like how it's shaping up. Finished painting up his gear, and mucked around a little to come up with a logo for his postal service!

I think tomorrow (today now whoops), needs to be spent rigging/posing and sorting out the final presentation.
  • Zerahtai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerahtai vertex
    Go go go!  It's a race against the clock now!
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    We're gonna ride this one down to the line, ladies and gentleman! Just showing off the model in a quick pose now that he's rigged and skinned. Provided nothing goes wrong should have enough time to polish up the final presentation!

• Puck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Puck polycounter lvl 10
  • JunkieKong
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Hooooooooooo Nelly! Managed to get that submission in just before the deadline!

That last hour was very much by the seat of my pants, but here's how it turned out:

Had a lot of fun working on this guy, and overall pretty happy with how it turned out despite the rush at the end - thanks to those that tagged along!
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    Such a fun entry! I love how you separated your in-game shots! :) Nice work man, and congrats for making it in time! Wooot!
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Great job on the presentation, I love the letter style you did with the ingame shots! 
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Goldo, I'm honoured that you liked it! Your entry completely blew my mind, and the bar you set definitely made me push myself further!

And cheers @Nuclear Angel I was wrestling with the presentation for a while until I realised that envelopes were the answer. Also well done to you (and everyone else) who got their entries in!
  • GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    Really nice outcome! Nice mail shape separating the in-game shots, clever!
    GG
  • Kazefield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazefield polycounter lvl 3
    Looking great! Good job finishing on time !
  • Gabz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gabz polycounter lvl 2
    This is sooo cool!
    Great concept!
  • Hallomy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hallomy triangle
    Congrats at finishing on time! Great texture and concept!
  • NguyThuyNgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NguyThuyNgan polycounter lvl 3
    congrats, it's lovely Singed i ever seen
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Thanks again to everyone for the support, I'm glad you dig! As promised I eventually got this guy animated and on Sketchfab - sorry it took so long!
    mod
  • KTENO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is possible to use that custome skin?