Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

cw flash - barry allen sculpt

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
BittaSingh triangle
hello everyone , so i've started a project  to make realistic model of  cw  flash  barry allen . i love the show and it will be a cool project  in my portfolio  . all kind of critiques and  help is really appreciated  as am learning   .  so here is the first render iam posting , base meshes are ready and i will create some high details  and good topology   reproject it and will share it again . also i will need a lot of help in texturing . till then  happy sculpting  .. 

Replies

• BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Well it doesnt look like a bad start although some of the proportions seem a tad off. (legs) for me. Mind posting your reference ?
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    @pmiller001 thank you for pointing it out  i see it now  they look little short for his height  ??, here are main reference that i'am looking at . 
  • BittaSingh
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I think he looks a bit wide.  Maybe thin him out a little.  It's a good start though!
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    and some other images too , 
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    @slosh u r right  i will definitely adjust proportions   .  
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    hello everyone , so here are some changes i made in flash model   mainly worked on  legs proportions and give some folds . let me know what to work on before  giving  good topology . thank you 
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle

@slosh how the anatomy  now  
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    hello everyone , so i did change some anatomy  and started working on his face  , i find some difficulties matching it properly .  i will attach the reference also , please have a look and guide me the things  i can do to make it better . @Nuclear Angel  @Brian "Panda" Choi 

• BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle

ok so i did retopology and made uvs  will reproject details and  hopefully will manage to get nice maps for it . i have made this a multi tiled uvs  texture map . but  exporting that map out of zbrush is a little tricky , if anyone have  some work flow for it , that will be great help . 

• BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    ok so  i reprojected the details  and then added  some details too . and made a color id map  so i can work   in substance painter   . i am a bit confused  about texturing skin in substance painter will try to get as  real as possible   also i haven't made his eyes yet . if you have any suggestions or anything , ill be really glad to hear from you  guys . Thank you (color id map) details .
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    hello everyone , i need help . problem is  when i export  high poly mesh from zbrush  and import it in maya   it   makes extra seams  on objects  that are copied and mirrored , like the pics attached ,  any help  regarding this problem ?
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    also  is my workflow correct ? i mean importing high poly meshes in maya  and then combining and renaming   in it ? its very slow and not efficient  as it  sometimes  crashes and almost always take so much time  , but it is necessary  for me to combine it and make single object so i can use it as high poly ref for substance painter . 
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    IF youre exporting from Zbrush, why not just name everything in zbrush?
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    @pmiller001pmiller001 said:
    IF youre exporting from Zbrush, why not just name everything in zbrush?
    yes  i  tried that  ,  but still i have to combine it into  single mesh    for substance painter  , merging in zbrush   did not helped . 
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    right now  i  was  working  on it and maya is frozen  right now  .  :(
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    IF you have seperate ztools, and you export an fbx, it saves the names of all the subtools under one group. Thats the workflow I do all the time. Did it last night even. 
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    @pmiller001pmiller001 said:
    IF you have seperate ztools, and you export an fbx, it saves the names of all the subtools under one group. Thats the workflow I do all the time. Did it last night even. 
     this i did not  knew , thank you so much ,  also   do you change  fbx to obj after  that ?  because i need that mesh for substance painter   .  right now  i did the naming again   after force closing it   now iam exporting  it again   hoping this time it will  work . 
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    can you please tell me more about your work flow ? do you use substance painter ?

• pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I dont use objs. I get perfectly fine results using Fbx files. As for Painter, just use the fbx file. You dont need to change it to an obj for that. When youre exporting from zbrush btw, use the fbx export/import plugin. ITs VERY useful, especially for assigning materials by polygroups, for your mat id bake in painter. 
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Yeah i'll help as much as I can! If you have a specific question PM me, and i'll see what i can do. Otherwise I think you're on the right track. 

• BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    I dont use objs. I get perfectly fine results using Fbx files. As for Painter, just use the fbx file. You dont need to change it to an obj for that. When youre exporting from zbrush btw, use the fbx export/import plugin. ITs VERY useful, especially for assigning materials by polygroups, for your mat id bake in painter. 

thank you so much  for pointing this  out  , i will try with fbx now   as exporting obj is crashing  every time  no use  with that . just one more thing    how do i export them correctly   , i mean i know   fbx plugin   but what i did not get is    how  do i export them ? like i have 6 subtools   , should i  rename the subtools  according to  low meshes  and export them separatly  ?   okkkk i think iam getting  it . so i can use all  those seperated meshes  as high poly   base to bake  ? 
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    wow thank you so much  @pmiller001 i did not knew i can put multiple meshes  as high base  mesh   to bake .  
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    ok , so   i ran into another problem  , can  someone please help me  out ? . so  i was trying to bake the model am working on , here is a pic  of it in normal  ( i mean just imported low poly mesh no  bake  )   this mesh has multiple meshes   all exported   into single file called  flash_low  , also all the meshes  have names like  face_low  , mask_low  etc  .    so when i baked it  using match by name   i get below  result . i dont know why this is happening  . i have named all the  high poly meshes according to low poly meshes  like  if i have  face_ low then  high poly one is  face_high. still iam getting this   . why ? 
    so i tried to bake by match by  always  and i get this result .  these errors are pretty obvious   cause  of overlapping  . right ? or is there something else ? 

also i wanted to know  is it  necessary  to have same uvs or uvs atall  on high poly mesh ?  in this scene  my  low poly mesh  have  different uvs than high poly one   ,  i mean uvs are same  but they are not  placed  like  high one . ? please  shine some light on these   . Thank you 
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I answered your PM, but just in case someone else is having the same problem I"ll put my response here. 

a few things I would check

-make sure your normals are softened, 
    -there is sufficient padding

and to answer your question, the high poly mesh does not need to have the same uv's. 
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    I answered your PM, but just in case someone else is having the same problem I"ll put my response here. 

a few things I would check

-make sure your normals are softened, 
    -there is sufficient padding

and to answer your question, the high poly mesh does not need to have the same uv's. 
    thank you for answering . i dont get what padding is   and  can you please explain  it a bit . what should i do to bake  it by match by name  . 
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    You should do whatever gets you r the best result borheim. I"m not really sure how to explain padding. Although the polycount wiki has a lot of great information on it(baking),  you can refer there. 

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Baking
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    When you have a hard edge in your low poly, you should split the UVs at those hard edges.  This is usually something you do for hard surface items.  I don't think you need to do this for your current character.  So I see hard edges on the collar and the edge of the mask...I would soften those and rebake.  Padding refers to the amount of bleed outside your UV islands.  This will prevent seams from occurring at the edges of those UV islands.  I'm not sure what res you're textures are but something like 10 pixels should do it.
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    slosh said:
    When you have a hard edge in your low poly, you should split the UVs at those hard edges.  This is usually something you do for hard surface items.  I don't think you need to do this for your current character.  So I see hard edges on the collar and the edge of the mask...I would soften those and rebake.  Padding refers to the amount of bleed outside your UV islands.  This will prevent seams from occurring at the edges of those UV islands.  I'm not sure what res you're textures are but something like 10 pixels should do it.
    got it , i will soften those one too  .  thank you .  also  can you please help with baking  by match by name bake  because when i  do it  iam getting this result  .  earlier i was not getting  any detail  even on body .  now its like this   even though i have named all the high poly and low poly meshes accordingly .  like this  please help me fix this .   

• BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    You should do whatever gets you r the best result borheim. I"m not really sure how to explain padding. Although the polycount wiki has a lot of great information on it(baking),  you can refer there. 

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Baking
    this looks great i read it . thanks 
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I actually don't bake in Substance, so can't really help ya there.
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle

slosh said:
    I actually don't bake in Substance, so can't really help ya there.
    ok , ill see what i can do ,  thanks anyway . hope to solve this today . :)

• BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    wow ...... this is so  informative , thank you so much man , awesome . 
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    yeeee... so i crack the match by name bake  and did  it successfully  .  thank you for your help guys  .

BUT as you can see the error below , it did not pick the vertex color i assigned to high poly meshes , i researched  and found  out that  when exporting it to fbx i have to make sure  that  all vertex have color , like even the white color  has to be painted . so i checked it again  and i am pretty sure there is no vertex without color , but still am not getting any color  . plus  my third  udim  which is of face and half mask  is black . like this  and others are blank . here is a curvature map too if that helps . if iam doing something wrong  please tell me . 
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    aaaaaaaaaaa......... please help :(  this is so frustrating  one problem is not solved  and another arises . so now iam getting this error  unable to load scene from url  if anyone know why this happened . please help

• BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    ok so i exported low mesh as fbx   and it worked . i also exported it as obj  again but that did not worked  . so now i am back to why  its not picking vertex color  in id map .
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/ID

This should explain why your color id isnt getting baked. You need to change the color source. In this case, it sounds like youre using vertex colors. IF so you've got to change your source to that, under the ID tab. 

• BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/ID

This should explain why your color id isnt getting baked. You need to change the color source. In this case, it sounds like youre using vertex colors. IF so you've got to change your source to that, under the ID tab. 

yessssss.... you  are  awesome .... thank you so much ...  i spend whole day on this , now its seems so obvious     ... thank you . :):)
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    ok so i got color id into sp but its way to blurry and pixelated . why ?  i baked it on 2k  and its still blurry , other maps are coming out good . here  some images also i am still getting little bit bad projections  like this 
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    AS for the blurryness on the id map. I"m not sure how to fix that, I tend to just, paint over it , and edit the mask after the fact. And your projections could be a number of things, I had the same issue last night.  it could be
    -your topology on your low poly
    -your projection
    -the fact that youre not using a cage. 

IT could be a lot of things. Usually, if its not too bad i just fix it in photoshop. 
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
     pmiller001 said:
    AS for the blurryness on the id map. I"m not sure how to fix that, I tend to just, paint over it , and edit the mask after the fact. And your projections could be a number of things, I had the same issue last night.  it could be
    -your topology on your low poly
    -your projection
    -the fact that youre not using a cage. 

IT could be a lot of things. Usually, if its not too bad i just fix it in photoshop. 
    yes i researched for blurryness issue and found   editing is the only way  i could fix that  ( also my polypaint was not sharp enough  so my id map is way too blurry ) so i also edit the mask . its not that difficult as my map is not so complicated  :)

and for those errors  i did not fixed them  i hope ill be able do fix them in ps . will need your help .  :)  . thank you so much .
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    so finally i managed to   work around substance painter and  put some textures  on it . please give your feedback . also   legs look short  again :(  i will have to work on it  and i  how should i texture  face in sp ? or should i  do that in zbrush and import that map in here ? 
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    I like the overall textures, but you gotta fix the proportions.  You gotta test things out, but what stands out the most right now is very long neck, that might fix the illusion of the shorter legs, but you may have to make them a bit longer. 
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    Jakub said:
    I like the overall textures, but you gotta fix the proportions.  You gotta test things out, but what stands out the most right now is very long neck, that might fix the illusion of the shorter legs, but you may have to make them a bit longer. 
    wow firstly , i really  like your work . great work .  
     i didn't thought  about the neck at first  ( because the reference  i am using  grant gustin  has a long  neck )  but  you  are right it is adding  the wrong proportion so i will adjust that too along with the legs  .  thank you 
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle

so this is my first arnold render :) .. not looking what i want  though , ill check some tuts on arnold  then  do it again . also  i changed his legs and neck anatomy  . how is it  now ? any other suggestions ?  
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    hello guys , i have been learning about lighting ,  shaders and rendering  ,  have learned  many new things  .  i  need some help , i was trying to render in arnold  , but it seems my maps have some problems  , please please help me , i have spent so much time on it  . and want to just finish it now . 

so seems like there is some seam related problem ?  also i want to tell that the upper part of mask is in separate  udim but these strong lines are everywhere on the seams  . please tell me how can i solve this ? here are some maps to see it clearly .
  • almighty_gir
  • BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    wow ,  there is so much to learn , thank you  for posting  this . i have been reading  and i think i have messed up  some things in initial stages  :( .i want to finish this now . 

• BittaSingh
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    yea think  ill just start  another project and will do that properly  , i learned a lot from this one though . so thank you soo much  for  your help everyone  .