Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot 2017 Art Contest]- Leona - Iron Maiden

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Skyzocat polycounter lvl 3
Hi everyone! I'm Marie, I participated in 2014 and it was an amazing experience so I just had to join again this year! :D
I'm a really big fan of Leona and first I wanted to go with her Valkyrie skin, which is the first Leona skin I ever bought and the one I still play today! (equally with Iron Solari!) 
But in the end I was like "humm why don't make my own Valkyrie themed skin?" :O
So  I chose to make her a skin with... everything I like about women in armor basically. But more seriously, I wanted to go for some kind of "medieval valkyrie". I think this theme fits well with Leona as a leader in battle and as a symbol of light and hope, she would be like a divine figure that soldiers look up to during the battle (a little bit like Gandalf during the helm's deep battle ahah).

So for the moodboard I went with medieval references like Joan of Arc and jousting knights, Valkyries' painting  but also with some fantasy armors that I love (I'm a sucker for JRPG/anime heavy armor designs in general so bare with me xD).

So with all of that in mind, I began thumbnails and mixed them together, exploring some styles/shapes. For exemple the 1 is more "vikingish" with the fur and leather straps etc. But I knew I wanted something High fantasy, with mainly metal to remind of medieval knights.

Then I chose my favorite which was C and I did some tests by painting on a Leona ingame model, with the right angle view. I tweaked some things (taking number 4 helmet, bringing number 3 tabard) and tested colors here. 

Then I did a refined drawing of this design, knowing that for the splash art I needed more interesting details to paint while staying true to the ingame/readable character. I also tweaked the design again by adding more on the tabard and by reworking the belt area. I also think the feathers on her helmet will be magical and the holes inside her visor will let some blue magic shines through.

I also thought that Fx during her E could be golden wings appearing in her back, like she's flying through the battlefield to rescue or smash you. Maybe I'll do a mock up of this if I have the time because it could be cool to add it in the splash eventually.

Here are the designs for her weapons, I still don't have chosen which one I'll take but I like shield B and E. 

Same for her sword that I changed into a Lance to remind of medieval joust and Valkyrie's lances. I also thought that it could be fun to see her charge in with this lance.

Sorry for posting all of these in one go but I didn't managed to sit and clean everything until this week end! Don't hesitate to give your opinions and advices, it will be a great help! :smiley:

Replies