Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] Warring Kingdoms Xayah and Rakan

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
GGBecca polycounter lvl 3
Hey all! I'm excited to participate in the contest this year :smiley:
I have decided on Warring Kingdoms/Jade Serpent skins for Xayah and Rakan as I love that set of skins.

I imagine Xayah and Rakan as a travelling duo that spend their time 'collecting' magical artifacts, with Rakan being an entertainer and the distraction while Xayah steals the artifacts and slips away unnoticed.

I started off with a couple of moodboards for the skin design, here's one for Xayah:

And another for Rakan:

Next step will be creating a couple of concepts for both of them :smile:

Replies

• MaoAkari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaoAkari polycounter lvl 3
    Great idea!
    U kno, if for  warring kingdoms skins rito usually take idea from dynasty warrios, so i can giv you an lore advice:
    there was 2 characters: Prince Cao Pi and his wife Zheng Zhi, they are grom WEI dynasty, that has a symbol Peacock, maybe if will give you a some ideas for design
  • GGBecca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for an update! I've been quite sick this past week so I've not got a whole lot done. But here are a few preliminary designs for Xayah's skin:

So far I'm thinking the final will probably be a combination of the three as there are elements from each that I really like.

MaoAkari said:
    Great idea!
    U kno, if for  warring kingdoms skins rito usually take idea from dynasty warrios, so i can giv you an lore advice:
    there was 2 characters: Prince Cao Pi and his wife Zheng Zhi, they are grom WEI dynasty, that has a symbol Peacock, maybe if will give you a some ideas for design
    I had considered using a peacock in the designs for Rakan when I first started and forgot all about it til you mentioned this! So thank you :smile:  I'll definitely look into the Wei Dynasty and into using peacock feathers in Rakan's design.
  • GGBecca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time! Just in time for the new year. Here are some of my development sketches for Rakan's skin:

And then some colour palette ideas on what is likely to be the final outfits for both of them:

I combined a few outfits together for both of them and I quite like the current designs. I will start the thumbnails and splash art sometime next week!

Happy New Year!
  • BeccaBeeArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeccaBeeArts triangle
    Love the contrast in colors for the two of them, and the peacock vibes i get from Rakan I love
  • GGBecca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for an update! Been slow progress as I was wothout a computer for a while last week but back to work now, below are some thumbs I put together for the splash, they're very messy as that's how I work at first:

I decided on option 3 and have begun work on the splash, I decided to add in a crowd like in option 4 and to have Xayah with a little bag of loot stolen from the closest figure as below:

Still very messy for now as I get the composition down!

Love the contrast in colors for the two of them, and the peacock vibes i get from Rakan I love
    Thank you!
  • GGBecca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another splash update! Decided the composition felt a bit flat on the last one, so I switched it up and threw Vi in there for good measure! Slightly more refined than the earlier design but still a long way to go.