Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Street Corner Environment

shaya
null
Offline / Send Message
shaya null
Happy New Year! This is an environment that I have been working on for the past two months. Most of the textures are made in Substance Painter/Designer and it's assembled in UE4. Looking for any and all critques, but I'm especially interested in comments on lighting since it's not something I have thought about before.

Based on concept art by Rowena Wang: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/68Bn

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I like the mood you've made! I think you need to work on materials. Spend some more time in Substance Designer, and focusing on applying the materials/texturing.
  • artrynk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artrynk polycounter lvl 18
    Without light ,materials and textures did not work )))
  • izaakb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    izaakb triangle
    I think the textures need a little more variety. There's basically one texture covering an entire piece without that variation. Variation will make it a lot more interesting. I think there needs to be more purposeful lighting. Lighting can take a long time to figure out how you want it to look, it takes exploration, keep at it! :smile: It seems like this is supposed to be a grungy building, I might suggest making the letters broken/faded/grunged way more. There's also combining a few too many eras in one scene in my opinion. I can't tell if it's old fashioned or new. I think this should be immediately clear on the first read. Unless you're going for futuristic old school, then I think there needs to be more assets to show that, like pipes on the side of the building, cool looking chimneys, and other tech.
  • shaya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaya null
    Thanks for the comments.

I'm still reworking textures, but I've tried reworking alot of the lighting. Am I on the right track? 
  • Yura_Vorobiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yura_Vorobiev interpolator
    Light is super dark. I would suggest you to watch unreal lighting academy on youtube,  it's amazing and very helpful
  • izaakb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    izaakb triangle
    Yeah it's still too dark, sorry dude. There needs to be either more ambient lighting or your objects need to emit light. Think about your favorite video games. How do they do their lighting. Another thing to remember is, depending on your desktop, it might be WAY brighter than other peoples (like Macs tend to be brighter than anything else from my experience)

Some key points that can help your direction - what type of mood are you going for? Somber? Mysterious? Pleasant? Sad? Lighting can really push these moods. And it's also what video games are going to be looking for. Can you express the mood through the lighting. Look at paintings and concept paintings to help give ideas on what you'd like to express. In my opinion, lighting adds a whole level of complexity to the final rendering of a piece and how awesome it looks.

Tag me if you'd like more feedback! :smile:
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    I would go back to working on your textures and materials and stop working with ligthing. Use some reference for your materials. The scales and how they look are all over the place. Fix that and then worry about lighting. 
  • shaya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaya null
    Reworked a lot of textures as well as changed the lighting. I haven't watched that lighting tutorial yet that someone recomended, but I wanted to get see if I was on the right track texture-wise. Again, would love all comments/critques.
  • shaya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaya null
    @David-J
    Do the scales look correct now? More consistent?