Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized House Critiques Wanted

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Mason_Bys vertex
Hey everyone. I'm a student currently working on this World of Warcraft style house, and I'm looking for some critiques with the direction I'm going in. I've got a lot of the base color down, and I've started working out the roof, but I may need to change the low rez. Let me know anything you see that I may need to change. Thanks!

Replies

• izaakb
    Offline / Send Message
    izaakb triangle
    Cool! Is this for the Blizzard contest?

In my opinion, there are too many straight lines. Like the pillars, the support beams and the roofing, it's all straight. I feel like the style tends to lean itself away from straight lines. I feel like the roof might be too saturated(?) it's a little overpowering over the rest of the structure.

As for texture, I think the light color on the structure could use more texture. Like is it old? Is it falling apart? Or are there chips and cracks in it? I think those stones at the base can have more texture and also more contrast at the edges.

Right now, there's not too much story on the structure. What I mean by that is, who is it for? Elves? Humans? Gnomes? I think there should be something apparent on the structure that pushes itself to be one race to another. Maybe that could be done with props around the house. Like lamp posts and statues. It's up to you! Like the chimney has so much personality! But I wish there was more of that in other places.

Hopefully this helps! I'm working on the Blizzard Contest so I'm also trying to get into the mind of thinking of these things as well.

• Mason_Bys
    Offline / Send Message
    Mason_Bys vertex
    @izaakb Thanks so much for the critique! I'll definitely try to push these things, and add more detail and story. And yea, this is for the Blizzard art contest. Your mine is looking really cool! I cant wait to see it when its done!
  • izaakb
    Offline / Send Message
    izaakb triangle
    @Mason_Bys No problem! That's awesome! Best of luck to you man! Can't wait to see  your finished piece!

Thanks! Me too! This is such a fun project to work on, I'm having such a blast! :smile: 
    I was also working on a character....but I might abandon that in order to complete the mine on time lol