Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Portfolio - Looking for some Critique

pjscottartist
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
pjscottartist polycounter lvl 5
Hello Polycount,

I'm looking for some general critique on my portfolio. It's a 3D and 2D (separated of course).

petescott.artstation.com or https://www.artstation.com/petescott

I would really like to work with 3D modelling, perhaps with hard surface and vehicle modelling. I get to do some modelling in my current job (advertising) which is great but I'm not really developing as I'm teaching myself and that specific role is not full time. Currently using Maya but I can also use Blender. 

How does my portfolio stack up with these types of jobs in mind?

Also working on a more ambitious project (Peugeot 205 CTi) but unfortunately my workstation went kaput a couple of weeks back. Hopefully I will get to upload the finished project here soon, but I've attached a couple of WIP screenshots.

Thanks again for viewing I'm interested in hearing your critiques.

Replies

• pjscottartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to bump this as I think it got caught in the spam filter 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looking cool! I'd say add breakdowns and workflows. I'm not sure if your work is PBR, or what your wireframes look like, or what your UV mapping looks like. Include these in all your projects.
  • izaakb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    izaakb triangle
    I'd agree that having your mesh would be very helpful. You have it for the one ice cream projects, however, they really aren't that complex of objects. Now if you had it for those ships you have, that'd be super sexy. Because there are some really nice renders there! But we need to see what the purpose of your meshes are. Are they for games? Concept? Commercial?

Important things for the portfolio are to show what your final destination is. Where do you want to be? I personally think your 3D stuff looks a tad stronger than 2D. So maybe have your best 3 2D things then the rest 3D. I'm gonna be picky on the ice cream stick and say the texture looks a little too soft. At least the one on the left, the one on the right looks better.
  • pjscottartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses guys.

@Ashervisalis
    Yes I agree I need more breakdown. I'm going to concede that my UV mapping could be worked on and I'm still not entirely clued up on the best practices still. But I can add some wireframes. AS far as materials are concerned I'm just using the basic shaders in Mental Ray. Hoping to jump to V ray soon.

@Optimus
    I plan to put the car in a game engine at some point, after I learn how to rig it and make it game ready. 

I've still got an endless list of stuff to learn so any pointers are welcome.

Thanks again.
  • pjscottartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @izaakb
    I'm beginning to see a trend here! Yes I'm going to add some wireframes. As for the pirate ship I never really completed it to a standard where I thought the wire frames were good enough to post in a portfolio. I'm hoping to get back to that project soon though. 

Destination wise I would like to work in the entertainment sector (a broad stroke), leaning on the movie side of stuff. 

I'm finding your critique is posing me so great questions and I'm finding this hard to answer which is definitely a good thing.
  • izaakb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    izaakb triangle
    @pjscottartist
    Cool dude! Sounds good! From what I hear, movies is hard to get into and they work you like horses. Although, one major thing I'd suggest is just researching how they do their mesh densities, and what different types of roles they would do. Like would you mainly go into sculpting? Or retopo or texture? I hope to continue seeing more of your work! Good luck!
  • jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Pete, i want to give you some advise on how to improve your rendering, I am going to use your peugeot 205 cti as an example. I come from using Vray so i can give you tips on getting a good result. 
    •  First on the render is very blurry, I dont know mental ray but in Vray this would be because of Subdivs of the shadows, resolution and render time.
    • The lighting is not reflecting , experiment with settings so that you are getting accurate materials. The red paint doesnt look at all like paint. Try to get the material you want Use 1 or 2 lights and build up your lighting gradually so that you can see what each material is doing.
    •  Add a HDRI for global lighting. 
    • Use small spot lights for contrasting shadows.
    • Use Substance Painter to create your textures.
    • Are you using highpoly modeling to low poly using a normal map or are you putting materials straight onto the high? Learn how to use normal maps if you haven't already.
  • pjscottartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @izaakb

Thanks for the kind words. Ideally I would like someone to teach me this stuff first hand if possible. I would like to do hard surface modelling but anything in a 3d capacity would be great right now

@jaker3278 Thanks for your practical feedback it’s very helpful. 

As for the the image quality it’s because I took them with my phone off my computer screen :s Unfortunately my workstation failed completely so those are the only images I have at the moment (it’s backed up). New computer is in the post.

Again it’s a work in progress and I’ve only really got so far as modelling and I’ve just thrown some basic textures on there. So I will be adding an hdri map, some lights and such and focusing on the materials. As for high poly to low poly I am still on the high poly phase. Will do some beauty shots and then concentrate on getting it set up for a game engine.

Thanks again sorry if my wording is a bit brash I’m typing on my phone
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If you're gonna add a sketchfab, make sure it's at the end of a page, and not the beginning.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    So, I didn't really look at your work but I would ditch the splash screen.  When I go to your folio, take me straight to the art thumbnailed.  I would say at a beginner level, don't make anyone looking at your folio go through extra steps.  
  • pjscottartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi

@slosh
    Thanks for the tips guys. I like the splash screen but if it's going to help me get a job then I can lose it.
  • TheLittleJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheLittleJay polycounter lvl 5
    If you're gonna add a sketchfab, make sure it's at the end of a page, and not the beginning.
    Out of interest why? 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @TheLittleJay It's a question of speed to me.  AD's have a lot of portfolios to look through, and the more time you make them spend to look at your art, the more potential problems you create.  Good 2D images are usually enough to communicate your asset.  

Unless it is animating or needs to be seen in motion, you make it 2D shots.