Home Technical Talk

Do you prefer accurate ware detail or accurate reflectivity?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
I've been looking through some of my favorite models on Artstation and I've noticed a pattern. I tend to enjoy models that have more accurate reflectivity value and lighting, even if the surface detail and ware/grunge/grease does not look as accurate or scales incorrectly. Am I alone in thinking this or is it a common thing?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *wear

Reflectivity, or more precisely Roughness, has a lot to do with perceived realism in a surface material. 
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    tldr: i like shiny things!
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Eh? I think lighting does have a pretty big role on how the final presentation will be but all still need to work nicely together. An accurate surface value when you put on a flat lighting condition will still looks kinda dull, but on the other hand when you have great lighting setup but standard generated roughness map (this typically will have a great thumbnail), it still will bring the work down a little bit. I've encounter many great thumbnail on Artstation but when click to see the full-res work, not so much..
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Base diffuse/spec/gloss values are the foundation of a good material OP. If the basic material properties are wrong then nothing else will look right, patterns and details will only muddy things. 
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea in general you want to use values that are accurate to real life materials. after the final lighting pass is done and in place, you can sometimes tweak them slightly and subtly to fit art direction, but usually any major changes would be in a unique material instance for that level/situation. 

for example, i saw in a documentary, sometimes naughty dog will tweak reflectance values to make materials pop or chill out a bit depending on the lighting situation. for example, boosting or lowering the reflection of puddles in dark corners to make them not as glaringly bright. 

sometimes exaggerating say the reflectiveness of a metal that is next to a more matte surface can really help create a better sense of material definition, but generally these are small subtle tweaks based on art direction.

• defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    In an ideal world ... both.
    Else roughness / reflectivity!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It depends on the material. 
    Also it depends on the over all artistic goal of the game.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    this is an oddly specific opinion, I usually just prefer good looking art.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    The rule of cool all day erry day - if it looks good, you've made good art.

But yes, different people will have different artistic goals in mind, some want to go super hardcore on the realism, others have no problem screwing with the lightning and material properties to get a better result, most settle somewhere in between. 
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This question makes no sense, accurate wear and accurate reflectance values are not mutually exclusive.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    A few years ago I was doing an asset for a client and they wanted more general roughness to give the asset a bit more pop. Even if it's not 100% realistic to your reference, a bit of extra generic wear makes the material work on your model more interesting, and gives it a bit more flair. It won't work for EVERY model, but it can work for a lot of them. 
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

EarthQuake wrote:

This question makes no sense, accurate wear and accurate reflectance values are not mutually exclusive.

+1

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    I thought what he meant was either "good lighting with generic cloud filter roughness" or "realistic/ logic wear and tear placement on a dull light setup".
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, it's a question that doesn't make sense. It's like do you prefer oxygen and toast or water and steak? None of these are mutually exclusive in any way. You should strive to have sound material levels, believable wear, and good lighting and presentation. Let's throw interesting design in there too. If any of these are lacking it's readily apparent.

While I'm at it, reflectivity does not = roughness. Reflectivity is the intensity of the reflection, be it diffuse or specular reflection intensity. Roughness or gloss represents the microstructure of the material, and determines how smooth or rough the material it is. The smoother it, is, the glossier or tighter the specular highlight. The rougher it is, the more the light is reflected in random directions, which results in a wider highlight. Roughness does not modify the reflectivity or intensity of the highlight, but simply the behavior of it. Rougher highlights will appear less intense, but this is not because they are less reflective, it's because the light is spread out over a larger area (energy conservation).
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    In my experience there's no such thing as accurate reflectivity  or 100% metalness.   That PBR are not physically accurate enough  to be perfect at every specific corner of a scene.   It's still often not enough shiny at daylight and  too shiny at dusk/night.  Lots of games still looks kind of plastic while follow all the accurate values and a trick is finding an optimum combination of every channel : diffuse , roughness,  metallic  and sometimes still old fashioned  specular intensity/cavity/ etc channel . even normal maps often needs some intencity tweaks to have right perception of reflectivity for gainy materials.
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know I'm bringing up an old topic but it's something I feel is important to the community. I don't think I made my point clear. Let's pretend you are in a time crunch. You can only do one thing due to lack of time. Assuming a metal/rough workflow, would you rather...

A: Have accurate roughness detail (or just believable shading in general) and half-ass some default Substance Designer noise nodes
    B: Really make sure the ware detail (scuffing, scratches, dirt, etc) look believable and whip up some half-assed adjustment nodes on the overall roughness/metal value?

Again, you can only choose to make ONE look accurate.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Still a very, very odd question. I understand that this is a hypothetical scenario, but the thought experiment itself really make no sense to me because these things never occur in such binary and exclusive terms.

If anything I would recommend you to simply practice texturing rather than trying to imagine such scenarios.

Also, wear.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Maybe I'm missing something, but how doesn't accurate roughness detail directly translate into accurate wear detail? 

What makes PBR so cool is that the system is 99% designed with real world physics in mind. Every material should actually behave the way it's suppose to, it's just the artist's job to help guide the computer in the right path. 
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's use the phrase "ware shape" and "ware size." Easier? Do you have any idea how often I see artstation  assets have dirt scratches that are simply scaled too large?
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's an older piece I did. You might be thinking to yourself "holy shit that thing looks like it's been through a nuclear holocaust." That's because I put on all the dirt, all the scratches, all the grundge, all the things!! That's what I meant by ware.

However, I think if I removed all of that, and spent more time making the roughness values look really good, then this piece would at least be passable despite the unrealistic "ware" detail.

Even Naughty Dog's material artist said that she spends a lot of time making the "cleanest" possible version shade as accurate as possible before adding any ware detail.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Seriously! this 'topic' is an oxymoronic contradiction, if ever there was one.

daniellooartist wrote:

Let's use the phrase "ware wear shape" and "ware wear size." Easier?

...and no.

P.S.

A word to the wise, as at @pior alluded too, why not simply test your peculiar summations whereby in due course results often, well at least in my experience tend to speak for themselves?

daniellooartist wrote:

So here's an older piece I did. You might be thinking to yourself "holy shit that thing looks like it's been through a nuclear holocaust." That's because I put on all the dirt, all the scratches, all the grundge, all the things!! That's what I meant by ware.

However, I think if I removed all of that, and spent more time making the roughness values look really good, then this piece would at least be passable despite the unrealistic "ware" detail.

Geez...an adjective correctly spelt as WEAR

...plus this walkthrough might help you out Game Prop Texturing Fundamentals

Anyway I'm done.

Adios

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    When it comes to wear size/shape, you invest in masks. 

But even still, going overboard with detail is considered noise, which is not really accurate but an amateur mistake. 

It's like people who are new to normal mapping that slap on any texture because it's "bumpy". Even though veterans know this is wrong and they actually put the time into sculpting normal maps by hand and getting results that are more consistent. 
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's clear you guy's aren't going to answer this question so let me just ask you something different. Do you guys believe it is important to make sure your material surfaces reflect correctly BEFORE making noise/wear/whatever detail? 
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reason I ask is because I see tons of good looking detail in the albedo textures on artstation but the surface lighting looks all wrong. Granted, 99% of them are students but it's just one of those things that drives me up the wall. I'd rather see overly noisy pieces that light correctly than accurate noise that has bad roughness values. I'm not sure if this is a personal thing or if other people share this impression.

I personally spend extra time just making sure all my material reflects correctly before I even start piling on noise/wear/whatever detail.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's clear you guy's aren't going to answer this question so let me just ask you something different. Do you guys believe it is important to make sure your material surfaces reflect correctly BEFORE making noise/wear/whatever detail? 
    Yes, base materials with accurate (or at least reasonable) reflectance properties are the first step in any decent texturing workflow. Generally, base materials can be created with flat color values or at most some basic tiling patterns. When you've got the base locked down, you can go about adding additional detail.

Throwing wear and effects on top of nonsensical base materials will not make a good texture. As you mention, this is something that is very commonly seen in student work. People work really hard to make sure the texture seems interesting in the 2D map, without regard for how it actually responds to light. That said, it's something a lot of pros are guilty of too.
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you EQ. That actually answers my original question perfectly. I'm not very proficient with language nor articulation.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Im using substance atm and you only have a hDR environment map. You can choose between several (and studio lighting maps or import your own I suppose) but you cant edit lights themselves. Keyshot has a very flexible system where you can add lighting of different types, adjust their strength and position but it places less emphasis on the flexibility of the materials themselves, or so it seems.

Your question is very general as I believe there is alot of difference between accurate visualization for product presentation/ development and game assets. I dont think they are the same thing. But to answer your question I prefer substance so far as aspects of the materials are more flexible. That is personal.
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    You are trying very, very hard to convince yourself that this topic has a binary answer. By framing the discussion that way you are 100% guaranteed to alienate anyone trying their best to explain to you that things are more nuanced than that.

This way of asking ("do you prefer this over that ?") is doomed from the start because it is an attempt to force people into saying what what you want to hear, even involuntarily. Also asking "which one do you do first ?" is just as problematic, because it assumes that people do one after another, which is just another assumption pulled out of thin air.

Now imagine the kind of answers you would have gotten, had you simply asked something along the lines of :

- - - - -
    "Hello, I am having trouble with texturing this asset (pair of headphones). Despite my best attempts, the W-E-A-R and tear seems way too strong, and the material properties seem way off. Here are all my attempts at fixing the problem (pic 1) (pic 2) (pic 3)". I am using X and Y softW-A-R-E. What are your suggestions ?"
    - - - -

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    It takes 1 second for me to google reflectivity values

As long as you're following the correct PBR pipeline, it takes more effort to intentionally break the system then let it run its course. 
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    You are trying very, very hard to convince yourself that this topic has a binary answer. By framing the discussion that way you are 100% guaranteed to alienate anyone trying their best to explain to you that things are more nuanced than that.

This way of asking ("do you prefer this over that ?") is doomed from the start because it is an attempt to force people into saying what what you want to hear, even involuntarily. Also asking "which one do you do first ?" is just as problematic, because it assumes that people do one after another, which is just another assumption pulled out of thin air.

Now imagine the kind of answers you would have gotten, had you simply asked something along the lines of :

- - - - -
    "Hello, I am having trouble with texturing this asset (pair of headphones). Despite my best attempts, the W-E-A-R and tear seems way too strong, and the material properties seem way off. Here are all my attempts at fixing the problem (pic 1) (pic 2) (pic 3)". I am using X and Y softW-A-R-E. What are your suggestions ?"
    - - - -

I'm trying really hard to make it not appear like I'm antagonizing the forums. I made the headphones years ago and I wasn't currently working on it. I wasn't struggling with any specific asset. I've been working with PBR for a long time and I'm comfortable doing it. It's just a general question based on observations I've made on artstation portfolios. I thought this observation would benefit people who were new to the community or new to PBR.

Both the detail and the lighting are important. Yes, I understand that. But both take time to make and test. The shape of your "mask" that  represents the detail and the "uniform color" that represents your surface lighting (using Substance Design terminology) do in fact exist independently of each other.

Ideally you want to make both look good. Ideally. Which one is more important and which one should be dedicated slightly more time in the event of a non-ideal time-crunch appears to be a matter of opinion based on your responses. I honest to god can't tell if that's what you actually believe or if I'm just failing to articulate my question.

Like I mentioned before, my eyes are very sensitive to surface lighting and my mind will fixate the slightest inaccuracy. I believe accurate surface lighting bothers me more than it bothers you guys. I've already uploaded an image 3 posts up to make my point and I honestly don't know how I can make this any more clear. If this is, in fact, a non-concern as you mentioned, then I will just keep doing what I normally do.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    "Both the detail and the lighting are important. Yes, I understand that. But both take time to make and test. "

This is probably the assumption that derails the whole discussion. If both seem to take time to "make and test", then there is a fundamental issue with the workflow being used. Metalness is pretty much on/off, Roughness is a 1D scale from 0 to 100, and wear and tear can be set temporarily using a generic mask. This baseline can take as little as a few seconds to establish per material.

If it takes more than that, then that simply means that you are probably tackling the issue in a overly complicated way - which doesn't have much to do with "which one to do first".
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1000 to everything Pior says, there are no absolute answers here. As far as "which is more important" the only reasonable answer is: it depends.

It depends on the art style, it depends on the specific material you're creating, it depends on the engine and shaders and light and and and. Really, I've never in my career had to decide between good looking base materials vs nice detail and wear, even during crunch. I might spend a bit less effort on all aspects if I need to pump something out quickly, but you can't skip any of the fundamental steps. 

As Pior says, if you're struggling to find the time for base materials and wear, your workflow is probably pretty messed up. Using Substance Designer may be part of the issue, as far as texturing unique assets go, something like Substance Painter, Quixel dDo or straight up Photoshop may be a more straightforward process. If you're inventing Substance Designer nodes from scratch to come up with your base materials and wear masks, you're probably wasting a lot of time.

Something that I find very helpful is creating simple parametric materials in Toolbag (you can use other tools or engines, but it's best if the lighting and shaders are representational of your target, which is something that is generally easy to accomplish with TB's modular shader editor). I can quickly enter in some values to block out the abledo, spec, gloss (or metal/rough), and flip through different HDRIs to see how the materials react to different lighting environments. It's trivial to make adjustments to these sort of parametric materials, so you can set up your base values in a matter of minutes. I like to do this process with my high poly asset before I get down to baking. It's good to see how the forms read with the base materials as I'm modeling, so I know if I want to fatten up a bevel or tweak a certain area or what have you. You can then bake these out as maps or just copy the values into whatever texture creation software you're using.

You can do the same sort of thing in Substance Painter and other apps if you've got a material ID mask, just make a simple fill layer for each material type and adjust the reflectance values until they match your reference. 

Now, back to crunch. Thinking about it as X vs B is not productive. In reality, you should have a workflow that scales to the importance and/or time frame of the asset. Let's break it down into a few explicit steps:
    1. Base materials
    2. Wear
    3. Unique details
    4. Lighting and presentation
    For the base material pass, at minimum you should be able to set up flat color values in a matter of minutes if you're pressed for time. If you have more time or the asset is very important, you can spend time researching the specific material (how it's made, it's reflectance properties, it's structure), and then finding or creating unique texture content (usually tiling maps) to represent that material really well.

For the wear pass, you can scale it from running some preset masks, to building your own custom mask stack with grunge passes and hand painted elements.

For unique details, you might just skip this step if you don't have time or it's an unimportant asset. For hero assets, you'll spend time setting up unique details that tell a story and add character.

For lighting and presentation, it really depends on why you're making the asset. If you're building something for a project, you want to make sure your lighting matches what you'll see in your render target, so your asset looks as it should when it goes in. If you're creating something for your portfolio, you'll want to spend extra time setting up nice lighting, perhaps building a small scene to put the asset in context, etc.

So, how do you decide which areas of the workflow to invest more time in? Again, it depends. With more experience you'll learn to understand which material types are more difficult and need more time, and of course it depends on the art style, your specific goals, etc. The only person who can answer this question is you, and the only way to understand it better is to make a shitload of art and learn from your experiences.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I decided to test myself and make a quick prop from beginning to end.

Here's is the reference I used:

Here is the time I recorded for each step:

And here is the the prop I made:

Again, this was all rushed, but I never felt like making the actual roughness/reflection map was all that time consuming.  I would actually say sculpting took the longest and more time should be prioritized on that. I basically ended up using 1 or 2 brushes in Mudbox just to save time and felt that hurt the results more. But everything else I made and expected the results to come out how they should (i.e, concrete, paint, rust and metal material).