Home Unity

Double Sided shader for mobile?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
salimmatta polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys,

I'm a game artist and I always used UE4 for our games. But lately we have been using Unity for mobile games and to be honest, Unity is very limited for artists. However, I'm creating a turn based strategy game scene. I have wall models which are basically planes.

Is there a way to make the material (shader) double sided? Because I don't want to increase geometry for such a model.

Kind regards :)

Replies

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Just duplicate the polygon and invert the normals. This has exactly the same effect as using a doublesided shader.
  • salimmatta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

Thanks for your help mate, any idea if that technique might be expensive for mobile? again I'm an artist, so my dev knowledge is pretty limited 

Cheers :)
  • Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    AFAIk,  A sided shader would be far more costly than having a custom set of duplicate faces only at the right parts. The reason being that if you use a 2 sided shader, you are doubling your face/tri count across the board, where as if you just add inverted faces/tries only at the places where you want them than you are only paying for those extra faces and not all the faces in your mesh.
    I could be wrong though but that is how I see it.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki and Mehran are right, better to duplicate & flip.

One (rare) reason you might want to disable backface culling is if you want a light-transmission effect. Backlit leaves for example.
  • salimmatta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki and Mehran are right, better to duplicate & flip.

One (rare) reason you might want to disable backface culling is if you want a light-transmission effect. Backlit leaves for example.
    that works perfectly thanks a lot.