Home Career & Education

Best Game Artbooks that showcase 3D Character Art?

SundeepSingh
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
SundeepSingh polycounter lvl 5
Hi I'm looking to buy my first game artbook but most I find are filled more with 2D concept and environments. Are there any good game artbooks that showcase the change between 2d and 3d characters?

Thanks.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The Art of Titanfall 2. They have unique perspective because they actively did kitbashing for the 3D concepting.
  • Jesse_Flores
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tough question, most art books focus on the concept art.  I also have Titanfall 2 book, and its one that i notice displays more 3d art than usual. If u into robots, go for that.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Over on conceptartempire.com, there's a bunch of publications too sift through...

And one particular book to look out for is 'Character Design From The Ground Up' by Kevin Crossley. Though not specifically biased towards game art but more of an agnostic perspective moving between 2D & 3D.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    The following all have very strong sections devoted to 3D character art, I cant speak for more recent titles because I have not bought art of books in a long while: 

The Art of God of War III
    The Art of Gears of War III
    The Art of The Evil Within
    The Art of Uncharted 2
    and I dont own it but I hear that The Art of Fallout 4 has a strong character art section for the models
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I can verify Fallout 4 has close ups of sculpts, etc of their character models.  Leafed through my old Art Director's copy.
  • Araiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Araiel polycounter lvl 10
    I have quite big artbooks collection (over 130 books) and for me the best one about character art is definitely The Art of God of War Ascension - it has 2 chapters, one with 2d concept art and second with sculpts or/and game models. The only cons are that currently it's really hard to get any and even if you find it the price is expensive (so I'm happy I bought my copy when it had regular price).
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Did anyone buy Artstation's art book? If so, how is it? Looks interesting:

https://magazine.artstation.com/2017/11/buy-project-77/
  • MrBFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrBFox greentooth
    Art of Gears of War 3 gives some attention to 3D stuff (most of it towards the end) with highpolys, AO renders and a wireframe or two.
  • TetsuHunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Although the section is small the 3D modeling in the Borderlands 2 art book is wonderful
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Its called ArtStation ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love coffee table style art books, I have a huge bookshelf of them...that I barely ever look at. I do however look at my "liked images" tab on artstation over and over. There are huge art dumps from AAA games with high res screens you can actually save and use later for reference. One thing I wish art book makers would do is put out a digital version I can zoom in on to actually be able to use those images as reference.

I 100% support art books, I just find art dumps from the actual artists 10000x more useful.