Home Technical Talk

polycount for game model advice

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
nico1984 polycounter lvl 4
Hi my polycount for this model is 15 k more or less, this is for my game models portfolio and i wanna know if its considered low poly, i mean is a ship after, the most dense poly zone is the balustrade in the wheel section, those alone take like 9k, so what do you think?

Replies

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    That depends on the use of the model in the game, and if it's either for a mobile or a PC/console game.

If the ship is proportionally life-sized "environment piece" where player can walk around the ship, while it sails on the ocean or something, then 15k alone may be too low. It could be even close to 100k or more, if it has accessible interiors even.

Or if the model is a miniature model prop in a showcase box in the museum environment, 15k might be overkill... but in the other hand it also could be okay if it was an important hero prop in an auction scene where the camera pans around it a lot. Also, judging from the camera angle and distance on your screenshots (it's more or less isometric-looking perspective here), that 15k could be alright for an RTS based game.

For mobile games the polygon count could porbably be half from the values I've roughly estimated.

BUT, in the end you said it's for your portfolio, I wouldn't worry about the polygon count that much. Just make the ship to look the best you can. Optimization of the low poly is important from the silhouette point of view. Take as many polygons, edges and verts away, if they don't change the silhouette of the high poly model. Especially from flat surfaces.

Hope this helps. ;)
  • nico1984
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much you adressed multiple scenarios for the model, i think ill stick to this polycount and maybe i  will increase it a little bit
  • nico1984
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i mean i want my portfolio to show that i can work in detailed and efficient ways so i want to get the most detail at the same time i get the best polycount, so i guess ill make different models for different target platforms, im just getting started to freelance and i wanna get my portfolio right