Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pirate Cabin_Diorama

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
dipesh25 polycounter lvl 5
For my new personal project I've decided to  create a diorama, i was inspired by one of Scott's Homer work (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/KrVx)

Here's the concept that i'm working from 

Replies

• dipesh25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a screenshot of my work so far.

Firstly I blocked out the environment and got it into Unreal so i can make sure that my scale is good.

Then i imported my floor boards in to see whether they look good or not, and truth be told i'm not feeling confident about them.

I wanted to create the floor using Substance Designer but i didn't know how to create the splintered aspect of it(floor near to camera). As a result i decided to create the 10 splintered planks separately in Zbrush, and export the LP version as one whole mesh.

I applied the same method to create the floor which the person is standing on(image below). But all the while i still don't feel confident about it. It just doesn't look good at all.

My main concern is that in the concept the floor is not the focal point, the majority of it is going to be covered up by other assets e.g. carpet, table, keg and etc. 

So should i be worrying about the floor looking good or not?

I would appreciate some advice about this, how should i go about this? Also out of curiosity how would one person approach create the splintered floor, would they use SD (substance designer) or do it the old fashion way, create separate planks in ZBrush.   

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    You can do it either way. The floor is a plane so there is no need for planks there. Unless you want to make some broken floor ones so there is a different approach there. For the column sand other props in the walls and ceiling, you propably want to sculpt them. The floor needs to look like a floor regardless of placing other stuff above it. For the ending edge of the floor youan sculpt 2different wood planks and use them as mockups.
  • dipesh25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So made some changes to the floor, like i said in my previous post i wasn't too happy about it. so i decided to redo them and here's the result.

• dipesh25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Larry- Hey Larry, appreciate the advice pal thank you.
  • dipesh25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to make a sculpt of the large wooden support beam, here's what it looks like so far... 
    Not too particular happy with it, more work on it is required..
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Good start, make sure you blocked everything out and got the scale right before you go into texture details. The planks on that ship floor look huge and the details/scratches also look too large on the texture. If all those details were tighter and the scale a bit better it would look neater. You kinda need to see it with all the elements on it to get a feel for that even if they are all just coloured blocks and cylinders for carpets and barrels etc. That would be my approach anyway.
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radumitroi polycounter lvl 6
    @Ged is right, the planks are too big, they will throw off the whole scale. I would probably half them in size.
  • dipesh25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ged
    @radumitroi

Hey guys thanks for your input, the scratches/details are pretty big relative to the plank and character,  I don't know how i could have missed that, I appreciate you guys pointing that out. Gonna make the changes today. i'll post a updated screenshot ASAP. 
  • dipesh25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i scaled down the details by adding the scratches in Substance Painter, i used a Dirt alpha and painted it in as a Height textures. Then exported all the height detail as a Normal and bake the rest of my textures from that Normal map.  

I couldn't add those detail in zbrush because every time i drag an alpha out the program would lag heavily therefore controlling the positioning of the alpha it was difficult. 

I also changed the colour of the planks as well, to match the ref image a bit more. 

what do you guys think? 

• dipesh25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and.......here is another iteration of the floor, last one...i promise.

I sharpen up the details a bit more and change the colour around in SP.

Pretty happy with it tbh, but in any case i have to move on and do other parts of the project, other wise the project as a whole is never gonna get done :)
  • dipesh25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, it's been a while since i last posted want to apologise for that just been sorting out personal stuff.

But in any case here another WIP shot.

• dipesh25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The next thing i'm going to create is the tentacles, here's a WIP shot of it.  
    I've decided it will be best just to create one, then I'm going to rig it with bones, then make duplicate copies  and afterwards create different poses for each copy I've made. 

• jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Probably best to model the tentacle straight if you intend to rig it for posing purposes.
  • dipesh25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another update on the Tentacles. 

As you can see made some changes. Pretty happy with the sculpt...looking forward to retopolzing this -_-

@jStins_ Hey man, thanks for your advice! Appreciate it.