Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2 Substance Materials - Need feedback

pixelato7
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
pixelato7 polycounter lvl 14
Hey Guys,

I've recently finished 2 Substance materials and need you valuable comments and crits to improve my texturing further, please have a look and let me know what you think:

1. Brick wall made of Cliff stone of some sort:

2. Stone wall with carvings on it, except for figurines sculptures (which is sculpted in Zbrush) everything is procedurally created in substance designer:

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    The roughness could be increased ever so slightly on both of them. They both look wicked though. The graph on the second one must be insane?
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    I'd like to see your base reference of the materials. 

What is your major influence for 'Cliff Stone' And what kind of stone is the Carving wall made from, sandstone?

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I agree that the roughness is too low. On the bricks as well, the edges have too much irregularity. The silhouette of each brick has a bizarre waviness to it.
  • pixelato7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelato7 polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Guys Thanks for your views on it, really appreciate it and the point of having a bit low roughness was to make the textures looks a bit more interesting as extremely rough surface won't read all the details properly. But what you've mentioned is correct also and I'll try to increase the roughness a bit more.

@Ashervisalis : Yea the graph got a bit intense, but was worth it :)
    @Grimwolf : I had gone for a more rough stone and a quite aged one and hence the bizzare waviness.

and @Shabba : here goes my key references, on the cliff stone brick wall I had actually exaggerated the gouges and facets to make it appear more rough and aged.