Home Career & Education

Is there a freelancing thing in gaming industry?

Boyani
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Boyani vertex
Could i start working as a freelancing as character artist, without experience? Where i live, there is NON game company in my country. I want to relocate of course, but i would do that with experience. 

Which studios provide freelance work? And how hard/easy is to land a project when starting out as a freelance? Is it more hard to get into this industry even if there are local studios than freelancing? 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Didn't see the Sticky thread?
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Yes...and I gather you're just starting out?!

If so, it'll most likely boil down too your folio of work. However from my previous limited experience other aspects working remotely will also come into play - i.e applicable payrate/s, 'right fit for the job', work rate and NDAs (contractual obligations) etc. Anyway I'd recommend further research there's a ton of online stuff plus of course browsing the bundled resources pinned to the top of this board will point you in the right direction.     

• Boyani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyani vertex
    So, everything comes down with my portfolio? Okey. 

But, where i live we  have 0 game studios none, nada. So i have to get something from aboard. this is what i am asking it.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Where is home, Boyani?
  • Boyani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyani vertex
    Where is home, Boyani?
    Macedonia
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    websites to check for freelance gigs:

r/gamedevclassifieds
    TIGsource
    Unity Source
    Unreal forums
    and email directly any Art Outsourcing groups.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Boyani wrote:

But, where i live we  have 0 game studios none, nada. So i have to get something from aboard. this is what i am asking it.

Cross post from another thread on this board with more relevant material:

"Leap of faith"

Larry wrote:

So, working remotely would be nice, getting a couple of tasks per month for 400$ combined would suffice to get me through.Even half would be nice and aid in my support. Problem is, i have no clue about how to do that. And that is one of the hardships of one seeking info when they stand alone and learn by themselves. I only know the site "people per hour", but i dont know how much this is used in 3d industry. Do you have any places to search for remote work and offer my service as freelancer?

sacboi wrote:

Sorry me neither, I don't actively seek freelance work per se, only via 'word of mouth' recommendations at this point which thus far I've managed to land a couple of good paying ongoing domestic jobs, by that I mean interstate (BTW my home is Australia) so all I'm able too suggest is look at Freelancer and Fiverr or even here on PCs "Artists Looking For Work" board.

And as to info about contracts, I think the wiki is probably a great place to start - http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Freelance also after Googling trying to attain a general picture about working freelance in Greece, well geez...I don't envy you, hadn't realised just how bad a decade onward from the GFC things are.

But really!...set aside some time to research this board's sticky i.e "Game Industry Career Resources"... it's all there for the taking.