Home Adobe Substance

Substance - Bug Reports and Feature Requests

Replies

• Bruno Afonseca
    Jerc said:
    Did you be aby chance set their 'output computation' option to false?
    Nope :( Those are the same files I've uploaded to substance share, people seem to be able to use them with no problems whatsoever
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Could you try deleting the content of C:\Users\....\AppData\Local\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer\5\databases
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hi @Jerc, I got busy and went silent on that, sorry. I ended up using .sbs files because the .sbsar didn't seem to store the custom attributes (such as label, custom icon, etc) which made it a bit hard to deal with in the library.

Another thing - I've seen that you've introduced a Grayscale Conversion Advanced node on SD6, and one of the options inside of it is Luma. But it doesn't seem to work correctly keeping luminance consistent, according to the histogram.
    Digging it up shows me that you're using the RGB weighs of 0.299, 0.587, 0.114 which I believe are meant to be used in gamma space. The linear space weighs I found are 0.2126, 0.7152, 0.0722 and using those seem to keep luminance almost perfectly consistent for me. I imagine those should be the ones used inside the node since the math behind happens in linear space?

• Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    Substance painter 2.5.0 seems to be having issues with match by mesh name baking. 
    After downgrading back to the previous version, I didn't have any issues. 
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    @Bruno Afonseca
    I will look into it, I made the node. :)

@Mossbros
    We have a few regressions in the bakers, we are working on it.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Thanks @Froyok!

Playing around with the text node is freezing my pc and making me hard reset it. I still haven't been able to figure out what exactly, but sometimes playing around with the font or with the size does it.
    Also trying to create an empty function for the Font Size parameter doesn't work, it starts to behave in a freaky manner

• GhosTDoG
    Offline / Send Message
    GhosTDoG polycounter lvl 6
    Hi,

There is a bug within the "normal map from mesh" baker in Substance Designer 6.
    If you bake a world space normal map from mesh, the entire texture gets flipped on the V Axis.

P.S: When will the serious "Average Normals Bug" be fixed for the Baker? There is only a fix for Substance Painter 2.5.1 (?)
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    GhosTDoG said:
    Hi,

If you bake a world space normal map from mesh, the entire texture gets flipped on the V Axis.

P.S: When will the serious "Average Normals Bug" be fixed for the Baker? There is only a fix for Substance Painter 2.5.1 (?)
    It has been fixed in SD 6.0.1 which is now available.
  • GhosTDoG
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok said:
    GhosTDoG said:
    Hi,

It has been fixed in SD 6.0.1 which is now available.
    Thank you!
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @Froyok I have a feature request regarding the color palette, It would be extremely handy to have the option for the following:
    • 0-255 for RGB so I can match values from photoshop (or other) more easily. This is great for when you're colors are coming from a per-determined concept.
    • Hex values which is especially handy because you can copy and paste one value to get the color you need instead of 3 seperate ones
    • An option to save color swatches for a project (maybe add them to the shelf) There have been a few instances where I have changed the color of a material and then wanted to change it to match another color of the same material, the only way to do so is to tediously copy each value from the RGB field. People who like to hand paint might find this especially useful.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    @alemja Well, the good thing is that all these requests have already been asked and are in our to-do list. Unfortunately I don't have an estimation as for when we will work on it.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hi guys,
    I've had this doubt for a lil while, could you tell me why the fx-map behaves in such a way?

It's nothing more than a bunch of bell shapes scattered around with the Max blending mode.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You probably use a Max blend mode in the fxmap, which only works in greyscale. When switching to color it falls back on the default Add blending mode.
  • mickeyvpn
    Offline / Send Message
    mickeyvpn polycounter lvl 8
    Hi,

I'm having issue with baking AO from normal map inside SP 2.5.1. I painted height details on my mesh, after that I baked normal map(that looks correct). Then I put that normal map in SP slot and tried bake AO from normal and there showed up artifacts. Tried different options in AO baker settings, turning off "Ignore Backface" helped a little, but in general artifacts still there. In SD 5.6.2 result is very good, shame that AO baker there missing matching by name feature.
    Screenshots:

"Ignore Backface" on

"Ignore Backface" off

SD result:

Normal map preview:

• Bruno Afonseca
    Jerc said:
    You probably use a Max blend mode in the fxmap, which only works in greyscale. When switching to color it falls back on the default Add blending mode.
    Oh didn't knew that, thanks!

Got another issue:

Sometimes my histogram simply stops working, and I need to restart SD for it to return to normal. Bug?
  • teho
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Jerc said:

Got another issue:

Sometimes my histogram simply stops working, and I need to restart SD for it to return to normal. Bug?
    If you have a way to reproduce that easily we are interested.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Any chance this SD issue could get looked at? https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=14568.0

tl;dr User channel to Mask for use in SP doesn't work and it isn't clear why. Possibly because of a potential infinite loop.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    There is currently no way to use the content of a channel to feed a mask but it is being worked on.
  • GhosTDoG
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc said:
    There is currently no way to use the content of a channel to feed a mask but it is being worked on.
    Nice to hear. I guess that's one of the most requested features atm.

@Bek
    You can export you mask from the top layer stack and re-import it with a custom mask input, created in SD.
    I guess, that's the only (non dynamic) workaround atm?
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Jerc said:
    Alright thanks for the answer, looking forward to what you all come up with.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    still have the graphic card issue :(

• Bruno Afonseca
    Froyok said:
    Jerc said:

Got another issue:

If you have a way to reproduce that easily we are interested.
    I have no idea how to repro but I'll keep an eye out :)

Found a lil thing - on the shape glow nodes, the soft - precise switch seems to be inverted?
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hi guys,
    check this out:

Those are screenshots from inside the material editor in unreal, showing the same texture. One is in TGA format and the other one is in PNG.
    I'm working in 16bit inside SD and exporting it like that, apparently the TGA exporter dithers the image when converting from 16 to 8 bit, while the PNG one doesn't. Though if I add a node inside SD before the output bringing it down to 8bit, the TGA looks banded instead of dithered, just like the PNG one.

Is there a way to control this more clearly? Would be cool to have a node that converts bitrate up and down, banding or dithering to remove banding. While working on vfx the dithered textures introduce a lot of noise and took me a lil while to figure out where it was coming from!
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Indeed, in the case of Designer we apply dithering in two cases (if I remember correctly) : 
    - When a 16bit bitmap is exported in a file with 8bits only
    - When a 16bit bitmap is loaded into a graph as 8bits (on the node itself)

That's why changing the bit depth via a secondary node in the graph has no effect on the output file and produce banding.
    We didn't had the chance to expose that a bit better into the UI itself, so at the moment it's only automatic.
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    Eh guys, I know I'm the only guy on earth using the SVGs but would it be possible to update the rotation gizmo or rotation option ?
    Right now it's like if the gizmo is hidden somewhere around the shapes but nobody knows where, like a treasure hunt. Really making me losing time when I'm editing SVGs.

• MeshMagnet
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    Feature Request:
    Could you add a Rounded Edge option into Substance Painters baker?  Something similar to Modo's rounded edge baker.
    For Example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFZLITaAsS8&t=624s

I remember seeing something like this in Substance Designer?? I can't remember what it was called though...

• Bruno Afonseca
    Anyone getting a crapton of ghost instances? A lot of my previously working files are now broken because of this...
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Anyone getting a crapton of ghost instances? A lot of my previously working files are now broken because of this...
    What happens if you restart SD without saving the graph, does it work back again ?
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Froyok said:
    What happens if you restart SD without saving the graph, does it work back again ?
    I ended up fixing everything by hand, but I'll let you know if I run into it again, thanks!

Another thing - I've been trying to upload some gifs for my tools in substance share, but a bunch of them refuse to work. Any ideas why?

• Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    It doesn't ring a bell, I will ask.
  • KrissyH
    Offline / Send Message
    KrissyH polycounter lvl 5
    Not sure if this is a bug or human error. I'm making a character and started by just importing the head then I made the chest and then I wanted to combine them. I saved my stacks as smart materials created a new project with the head and chest and added my smart materials and my masks are all messed up. What is going on?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Tried using a negative value for the parameter Shift in the Stripes node, my computer had a seizure and crashed both SD and UE :|
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Also: HBAO node doesn't work well with non-square inputs. Pixel Size slider does nothing
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the report Bruno, it's ll be fixed in the next patch update (2017.1.3).
    A new option "Non Square" has been added, if set to true it behave correctly with non square image, if set to false it behaves like it currently does (default value is True).
  • BrimstoneBeard
    Offline / Send Message
    BrimstoneBeard polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys, getting a bug in painter 
    version 2017.3.0 Build 1837 - 91c800280d12770a6e024087daeaef5a94f1c344

When I open a file from within substance using open or recent files any normal map applied is not shown in the viewer. 
    Works fine opening files through explorer though.
    Tried it with several files and yielded the same result.

• kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    Hey guys after having used painter for a few things here and there, I thought about dropping a few bits here. Interestingly you already resolved quite a few issues I had over the last year.

- ability to copy paste generators/filters/fill etc. - much like a layerfx in Photoshop. Anchors help a lot on that but don't always work (ex separate textures sets)

- it's not possible to reuse texture space with udims, as everything has to live in the udim space. But overlapping messed up baking/generators

-udim export macro, so that I can give texture sets meaningful names again :)

-'mask by material' as a regular generator with blendmodes

-scene handling is very clunky, why no classic outliner with all the objects etc. Especially when scale is off for baking this would make things pretty obvious.

-hiding of parts would be very welcomed. Right now there is no good solution to this, as alpha still blocks the paint strokes and doesn't hide sections in other channels.

- probably mentioned already, to paint across textures sets would be cool.

- a gradient tool, not as a generator/filter but more like a brush to paint directly. I now need to create this through position maps which is very indirect and finicky.

Great software so far, curios where you'll take it :)

• Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    In latest Substance Designer iRay doesnt recognize my GPU Quadro M4000. Does iRay in SD support Quadro at all?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, iRay was designed to run on Quadro primarily. When you say it doesn't recognize it, it doens't let you select it in the preferences?
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Well that is sad. I need to use exact driver version: 378.92
    This is how it looks for me

EDIT: Updated to R381.65 still no luck. This driver is from April, not that old. I'm on Win 8.1 x64

Substance Painter can use it just fine.
    Also iRay also works in Substance Designer 5.6.2.
    So only 2017 have problems on my PC.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    We updated the iRay SDK to the latest version  in the latest 2017 release, it is likely that you'll need a much more recent driver than one from April.
  • Bruno Afonseca

Can't get my compiled sbsar tools to work in 16 bit... Is it possible? Can't get it to work!
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    For some reason the photoshop export option in substance painter exports ALL maps no matter what i have selected for export...

Very frustrating, it takes an eternity in my current project when i just want one set of maps... :/

Also since this says feature request i'm going to repost something I posted in another topic but haven't seen a reply to, would really like this sort of brush usage...

I was starting to use substance for hand painted textures after seeing the original announcement some time ago but the implementation is not what i expected. And after googling a bit i came here...been a while since i logged in XD.

At the moment the brush in substance is constantly stacking regardless of pressure meaning the stroke gets denser in the same stroke just by overlaying  the stroke with it self. 

In photoshop a single stroke does not stack if the pressure is not higher than the current stroke. I demonstrate this in the gif above, the first blob is a single stroke with increasing opacity by pressure, the second line is repeated strokes building density each stroke using the same brush. Photoshop calls this "Opacity", clip studio calls this "Blend with Darken".

This behavior feels like it mimics paint and makes building up values much more controllable. The current "opacity" behavior only favors maintaining a certain opacity across multiple strokes, not the more painting effect people who want to do hand painted textures are looking for.

Hopefully this makes sense. I really like this program and would love to be able to properly paint textures in it.

Below is how the substance brush currently works which is frustrating when trying to control values. It makes thing too dark unless you use a super low flow.

This is done in photoshop by setting the pressure only to flow and not opacity.  

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The Photoshop export issue will be fixed in 2017.4.1.
    About the opacity issue, we know the behavior is different from Photoshop but it's more complicated to change than it seems (of course).
    It's in our backlog but no ETA on when that will be updated.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I see, well i hope it comes sometime soon, having this sort of painting would make everything perfect. I'm sure a ton of artists would appreciate it. 
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    I have notice some problem with baking Curvature maps in Substance Painter - seams. It also happends on different meshes, but now I want to understand how to fix it because most of mask generators doesn't work like it should.

Yes, I tried different options in Curvature settings, changing details intensity, but it's not helping me.

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Curvature from mesh baking has always been flaky in real world scenarios.  You get much better results generating it from normals in designer as a rule. 

You might get better results if you average normals for that bake but it's unlikely to be perfect .
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Did you add padding to your bakes in the baking options?
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Sure, I did that. I added padding as always while baking (8x or 16x, it really depends), I tried to change details level in curvature settings, I have disabled "enable seams" and tweak slider bellow just for testing, and black seam is always visible no matter what I do. And this is not problem with mesh. It happens also on different objects, with less (something similar like on screen I posted) or more visible black seams.

I know few other 3d artists who have similar problem with that seam.