Home Technical Talk

Worlds worst normal map. What have I done wrong?

grand marshal polycounter
Online / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
Has anybody ever created an uglier normal map?

This is my first attempt at anything other than a very basic normal map, so don't laugh too hard. 

I did this in Maya 2018. As you will see, I exploded the mesh. I used the envelop method, with the option of only llooking inward. 

Is the issue that my low poly and hi poly models are not closely matched up enough? Or my envelope was too large? Is that even an issue if there is no overlap between the different meshes?

Any help is really appreciated here. My high poly sculpt looks pretty decent I think, and I spent a lot of time on the retopo making sure everythihng matched up just perfect. But look what I have created. It's a monster!

Additional note: I have xNormal, but got even weirder results with that.

The hi poly and lo poly together 

hi poly only

lo poly only

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    The best spots look really lo resolution. But these are 2k maps. 

The worst spots are black. Whats up with that?

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I think even before you start baking normal maps, you need to practice more with modeling high poly characters.

I know it's not the exact answer you're looking for, but you need to improve every step of the way instead of taking shortcuts. 

As for the actual normal map errors, I believe there are a series of problem that would have lead to it.

*Your smoothing groups are not set up properly 
    *Low and hi-poly meshes not aligned properly. Rays that fire fail to hit surface.
    *You may have overlapping UV elements

This tutorial taught me all about baking normal maps. It's for 3DS Max but I'm sure the same concepts apply.
    https://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/create-a-game-ready-fire-extinguisher-with-3d-studio-max-part-4--cms-20275

You should also check out these links:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/107196/youre-making-me-hard-making-sense-of-hard-edges-uvs-normal-maps-and-vertex-counts
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Baking
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    JordanN said:
    I think even before you start baking normal maps, you need to practice more with modeling high poly characters.

I know it's not the exact answer you're looking for, but you need to improve every step of the way instead of taking shortcuts. 

As for the actual normal map errors, I believe there are a series of problem that would have lead to it.

*Your smoothing groups are not set up properly 
    *Low and hi-poly meshes not aligned properly. Rays that fire fail to hit surface.
    *You may have overlapping UV elements

This tutorial taught me all about baking normal maps. It's for 3DS Max but I'm sure the same concepts apply.
    https://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/create-a-game-ready-fire-extinguisher-with-3d-studio-max-part-4--cms-20275

You should also check out these links:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/107196/youre-making-me-hard-making-sense-of-hard-edges-uvs-normal-maps-and-vertex-counts
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Baking
    Thanks for the feedback. A couple things:

1. Smoothing groups -- I've seen this pop up here and there, but from what I've read this is a non-concern for Maya. In Maya, you either harden or soften normals, that is all. But this is all kind of Greek to me anyhow, I haven't found an explanation of this that I understand...

2. Practice high poly modeling -- briefly, can you elaborate of some issues that you see with the high poly model? I'd really appreciate it!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    BIGTIMEMASTER said:
    In Maya, you either harden or soften normals, that is all. But this is all kind of Greek to me anyhow, I haven't found an explanation of this that I understand...
    That's not true. In Maya you can harden or soften all normals, true, but you can also harden or soften particular edges. It's actually more involved than Max's "Smoothing Groups" tools, when you dig down into it.

Your bake definitely shows issues that seem like they could be caused by smoothing groups. But seeing your UV map, and baked texture, is super important too. Could you post those as well?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Thanks for the help. 

Coming to a crashing halt after working on this model daily for like, probably a month is kind of a bummer. I can live with saying good game and trying another, but I feel like if I can just wrap my head around map baking and normals and this more technical stuff, I may be able to fix my glorious masterpiece here and not have to walk away with my tail between my legs.

Anyway, here's some shots.

I admit, I did the UV's in an impatient and frustrated state of mind because I had to troubleshoot a bug in Maya. Ended up using UVlayout, which worked decently. Though I couldn't figure out how to fix some small overlapping issues, which I know how to do in Maya but my UVunfold Plugin won't work. That's probably part of the issue...

There is some instances of UV overlapping, but they were on the back sides of things like the ammo pouches, and thus shouldn't be seen. The most obvious instance is the Y-joint of the LBE harness, which you can see as the long thin strip in the upper right. 

I do have some understanding about what the colors mean here. I understand that these sudden changes in color represent a sudden change in normal direction. But why, on the face for instance, is each polygon face bulging out like that?
  • Mirbobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should really slow down and do some reading and try baking with more simple objects to understand the basics. The faceting you see on the normal map is due to the fact that tangent-space normal maps rely on the underlaying geo and normals of the low poly.
    Take some time and read up the polycount wiki about normal maps and check the sticky threads about baking. And check up your UVs as well, currently they are pretty wasteful and don't really help you at all in your current situation.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Normal_map
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Slow down... that is exactly what needs to happen here. 

I got together with some people and we decided to start putting together a prototype, so I got in a rush to get this character done. 

Now I am stressing and not learning properly. 

I think what needs to happen is a change in workflow. I was going from high poly to low poly, and pretty much everything after the sculpt was a struggle. So I'm going to reverse the workflow and start a similar character. This time, building my low poly model first and sculpting from that. That should build and reinforce better topology flow procedures, and when it comes to the retopo, well, it will already be done. 
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Thanks! This looks really helpful. 
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Laso, your whole low poly is in hard edge, yu shouldnt do that. It's not good for the perf but will also give you more gradient in the normal map; that will cause problem of compression nd stuff. Think to use soften edge :) keep the hard edge for UV cuts or other particular case.

You might also wanna "explode" you mesh in differents parts to bake it. For exemple: keep the head away from the rest of the body, and so and so. Still keep it as an hole mesh (used only for baking), it will save you a lot of troubles!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Thanks. I did explode it, but yeah I think the hard edges are what caused the "puffy jacket" look. 

I didn't know about that at the time though. I'm approaching this stage with my next model here in a few days, so I'll be studying all the reference I've received here and hopefully get a good result. Additionally, I've worked this model from low to high, so everything should match up perfectly. 

• SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    be careful with your cage
    in your first bake, all the miscolored stuff is most likely due to the camera baking the backside of your model
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ok, so I'm at the beginning of round two. I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous going into this, as if my entire career depended on these maps coming out right. How silly.

Luckily, the results are much better this time -- however there is still some issues to resolve. I've read through the beginners guide to normal map baking, and basically followed the steps. But the one step I am not sure how to implement in Maya is probably what is making my map look like this: 

The ear is most apparent. The low parts are where they ought to be, but they look like really low resolution with those torn edges.

So everything is where it should be, but it is way too strong and the resolution seems kind of low.

I did this in xNormal with 2k maps, 4x antialiasing. I triangulated the mesh, the lo and hi res meshes match almost perfectly, but what I haven't done is "soften" the normals. The thing is, I don't know how to do this in Maya. Is it the same thing as "soften edges" in the mesh display menu? Because when I enable that some of my faces appear to have become concave. 

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    xNormal bakes really fast, which is letting me do some experimentation. I used xNormals "average normals" option on both the high and lo res meshes, then baked. After applying the normal and ambient occlusion maps in maya, the result is almost passable for my purposes right now. I am starting to wonder, maybe the map baking is just fine, but I am not getting enough resolution from my UV's? Or is this all the resolution I hsould expect from a 2k map?

Upon further inspection, i have to remember that about right here is the closest the camera would probably ever be from this dudes face. And for now, I think this is fine enough to move ahead. 

My unrealistic desire is to make one of these photo realistic faces like you see on artstation. But these are not game models usually, and they are made with different techniques and by people with multiple years of experience. So, let's be realistic. This normal map is far from perfect but it is good enough for a 3rd person game prototype.

• fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    In Maya, make sure the bump2d node is set to tangent space normals and not bump.
    Maya also colour manages images, you want to disable this for your normal maps.
    Basically set the colour space to RAW in the file node.

Also make sure that the green channel is correct. For Maya you want it to be +y.
    If the green channel is flipped, for example you made your normal maps with UE4 in mind, but want to preview it in maya as well, a quick trick i use is to play around with the colour balance of the texture.

Set the colour gain to 1, -1, 1 and set the colour offset to 0, 1, 0.
    Doing this means you dont need to go rebake your maps with the correct handedness or simply invering the green channel in photoshop or whatever.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    fatihG_ said:
    In Maya, make sure the bump2d node is set to tangent space normals and not bump.

Also make sure that the green channel is correct. For Maya you want it to be +y.
    If the green channel is flipped, for example you made your normal maps with UE4 in mind, but want to preview it in maya as well, a quick trick i use is to play around with the colour balance of the texture.

Doing this means you dont need to go rebake your maps with the correct handedness or simply invering the green channel in photoshop or whatever.
    I had a suspicion that I missed some important settings in Maya. The fact that it was called Bump node and not normal made me think that probably some things weren't being rendered correctly. 

I didn't feel like looking up what to do in Maya, but decided to move on to Substance Painter. Sure enough, bringing the mesh into Substance Painter and applying the maps -- it looks great. 

Still some minor seam issues, but these can be painted over easily enough. 

Thanks a million everybody who helped and shared resources in this thread. I still have soooo much to learn about UV's and map baking, but at least now I have the confidence of knowing I can produce something with satisfactory results. 
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Your y/green channel is still inverted (or something else is still wrong).
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior said:
    Your y/green channel is still inverted (or something else is still wrong).
    What looks wrong?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B02lElvs8BcvYllmQWpXUGxod3M/view

this is a pretty good read to get you startet

I was looking for this link. Very helpful guide I saw around here but forgot to bookmark. Thanks!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    fatihG_ said:

This is with the bump node changed to tangent space and color changed to RAW (but not on the hat). Looks much better. I also adjusted the color values in the file node, but saw non discernible result. 

But when I take this into UE, you're saying I will need to invert the green channel? Is that something I'll have to do manually in photoshop, or probably when I export the maps from substance painter I can set the channels appropriately then. Well... one thing at a time. for now, I'll get it textured, then worry about making it work in engine afterward.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior said:
    Look closely.
    I don't think I know enough to recognize errors unless they are egregious. 

If the color channels are inverted, wouldn't that be indicated by high points appearing low and vice versa? As far as the height looks, everything looks good to me. 

There is a big ugly seem on the shoulders... There are a few artifacts which show up as round splotches... But as far as some kind of channel inversion, everything seems fine to my untrained noob eyes.

Looking at the map like this, I still only see those same errors like that artifact on the torso.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are having two problems at the same time. The first relates to technical knowledge, and that's totally fine - that's why you started this thread and that's great.

The second issue is observation. You cannot possibly look at something like this : 

and say that you are just having "some mirror seam issues". There is something fundamentally off about the way this was baked/displayed, manifesting itself in the inversion of shading over the shoulder seam. There is no reason to qualify this as "minor" since this is so jarring visually.

There is no reason for your bake to not be visually indistinguishable from your high - so start looking at them side by side. Of course not give you any technical answers, but at least you'll be able to spot the visual errors which is a first necessary step.

Also ... your earlier posts and screenshots illustrate that you are probably going into this way too fast. Forget about sculpting and normalmaps altogether for now, and put your efforts into getting better at building solid and clean "old school" models for like, the next 6 months or so instead. This is the basis for everything and you are currently skipping over this step. You could get something like these :

http://www.kenbishopart.com/GermanDesertInfantry.jpg
    http://www.bobotheseal.com/portfolio/EF2/render04.jpg

Once you get to that point it will be a good time to start worrying about sculpting/baking ... with very simple props models. And THEN, you can start thinking about applying all that to full featured characters.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Perhaps I have taken on white water rapids before I learned to swim, but I just don't think I'm going to revert to box modeling exclusively for half a year. 

Maybe that would probably be a wiser thing to do, but it's just not my style.

I did build this characters base with box modeling techniques, and that has really helped me with the whole process. From now on, I will start every character with box modeling and working in a low to high method, rather than beginning with Zbrush and dynamesh. I started out that way because that is what the tutorials available to me describe. I realize trying to jump in and do things the exact same way as the pro's is going to a difficult path, but I'm just kind of stupid-stubborn like that. I yam what I yam.

There are tons of mistakes with this model, some due to my ignorance, some due to negligence. Some I am aware of by my own inspection and some others have helped me identify. What I call minor, any professional probably would not. It's just semantics -- to keep my spirits up, okay?

I see the the seam where the map reverses, and I certainly wouldn't deliver a product like this to a paying customer if I was a professional... but I'm not. I've been doing this for two or three months now, so I'm willing to catalog this problem as one that I'll learn to solve along the way as I create more models. In any case, I'll be starting a digital media degree next semester so they'll probably begin things at square one. 

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you want to fix these issues or not ?

If not, then keep going with the model as it is - and you will only end up frustrated, because these technical issues cannot be fixed by painting over them. That's just the way things are.

If yes, then forget about the character as a whole for now and focus on, for instance, just getting the shoes right. You need to tackle things very carefully and looking closely at good reference models, understanding the way they are built. Then once you get that right move on to the rest.

You're making the very common mistake of tackling a complex project while trying to learn a very technical skill at the same time. I know there are ton of seemingly impressive "full character" tutorials out there, but unfortunately this is not a good way to learn.

Good luck.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I will, but not right now with this character. It is more important to me to get a lot of repetition right now. If I spend to long trying to make a single asset perfect, I forget what I've practiced. So what I do is write these errors down, and when I go through this process again with my next character, I solve as many as I have the time and patience to solve. 

This way, each time I make a new model, it gets fewer errors each time. But if I strive for perfection with an individual model, it just takes too long and I get tired of it and don't learn as much. 

Don't misunderstand me. I want to make glorious AAA models, and I really value your advice and take it to heart. But I've got to know myself and the way I learn and try to play to my strengths and work around my weaknessess.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    For instance, my first character models UV's and normal map were such a disaster that I just started a whole new model -- this current one. Now this one isn't perfect, but it is probably 1000% better. I mean, it looks like a human, not a zombie. So this is good enough for now. 

My next model, because I've gone through the entire process now -- I'll be able to dial in and focus on researching and experimenting to solve these issues I have with the UV's and map baking. But if I try to do all of that now and spend another week on this model, I'll lose my forward momentum, get bored, stop having fun... and that's not going to help me one bit.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior said:
    Do you want to fix these issues or not ?

If not, then keep going with the model as it is - and you will only end up frustrated, because these technical issues cannot be fixed by painting over them. That's just the way things are.

If yes, then forget about the character as a whole for now and focus on, for instance, just getting the shoes right. You need to tackle things very carefully and looking closely at good reference models, understanding the way they are built. Then once you get that right move on to the rest.

You're making the very common mistake of tackling a complex project while trying to learn a very technical skill at the same time. I know there are ton of seemingly impressive "full character" tutorials out there, but unfortunately this is not a good way to learn.

Good luck.

If I was just working on my own, I would probably heed your advice and really go through just a single part of this model and try to fully understand the process. But right now I'm working with some others to make a game prototype, so I want to keep up with them. 

I really appreciate your time and good advice. You know, this is probably the most important type of advice somebody can give but you never see in online tutorials -- that is, understand how to learn. 

And this is something I am learning along the way. I never enjoyed school and I went into the army instead of going to college, so I didn't exactly ever learn how to not be a dummy. But I did learn how to persist at things, and so eventually with enough smashing my head against hard things I do learn. :)

I'm not learning in the most comprehensive manner right now, but I am having a lot of fun and definitely improving -- so why let the perfect be the enemy of the good?

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think this is a matter of doing things "perfectly" or not. This is a matter of doing things in order.

For instance, you could : 

- Spend about 50 to 100 hours sculpting, retopo-ing and attempting to bake a full character, only to to end up with unforeseen and frustrating technical issues ; or,

- Spend 2 to 3 hours modeling a simple, clean prop (a grenade, a shoe) then spend a few evenings over the following days to fully understand the tech. Then move on to the rest. That's the best way to keep momentum, and gets to the end result faster too.

But then again, whichever works for you really.

Also, if this is for a game prototype : don't bother sculpting/baking or anything of the sort. Just do a lowpoly without textures (flat per-face materials), like Hitman GO and Tomb Raider GO, It will look probably much better that way.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Perhaps giving the entire thing a simplified style may help out the animator and programmer as well. Because we want a pretty dense jungle environment. This will be a lot easier for everybody if we aren't trying to figure out complex performance optimization issues. 

I think I'll do that. I'll just box model characters and props, trying to make them look about as good as the original Ghost Recon game, but I think I will still need to UV unwrap them in order to texture, right? I could simply apply premade materials to UV groups for the most part, but there is still no way to get around UVing unless you want flat colors, right?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    But on the other hand, when I review my current character, there isn't THAT many mistakes. I feel like a couple more iterations and I'll be having pretty clean, good looking models. Sure it will take some effort and frustration...but I'm feeling pretty confident that I got the major steps in the workflow down. 

Here is the final result (except the eyes whcih I'm going to switch out with another model.) Now I feel like, this isn't bad. It has issues, but those can be resolved. Why should I go backwards?

But.... if my character looks like this, then the entire environment has to be up to par as well, and then we will have a host of performance issues to solve. 

It's hard to decide what to do. 

***Update: After discussing this with the programmer, we decided, "Fuck it. We're going all out. We can do something more simple if things prove too difficult."

• fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What Pior is saying is that you got to focus on your basics first.

By doing a simple object first, you will still go though the entire process like you would with a complex character.
    However with a simpler object you will be able to focus on the technicals better, as there is no noise of a complex model.
    It will give you more clarity, spot errors better, etc. Again you will still go through all of the same steps, just not get lost in details.

Once you master the process on a simple object, you can easily upscale and use the exact same methods for your complex characters.
    This 'simple object' could be anything you will be using in your project if you are hell bent on making progress with your prototype.
    Like Pior said, a grenade, a helmet, binoculars, a barrel, rocks, concrete barricades, etc. etc.

TLDR, master the basics > apply to more complex models.
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Trust me i totally understand this feeling of "well thats good enough, i ll'do better later if i got to" but yeah seams like the one on the shoulder is a pretty big artifact, that might be interesting to be sure you understood how to avoid such big mistakes.

For the green channel by the way its so easy to understand that it drives me nuts to see that you dont have the point haha:

There are 2 kind of normal maps; DirectX and OpenGL. The only difference is the green channel that is reversed.

Every software got his preferences. Check that:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/147156/is-it-y-or-y-for-normal-maps

Of course at first you might think the problem is not that big but trust me: everyone see it :p and its reaaaally fast to fix. Change it (manually if you got to but most software, such as painter, got it in their options when you start a project)

For the rest, nice ameliorations congratz for that :) keep it up!

EDIT: dont rly have the time to investigate but maybe the seam on the shoulder is caused by the way you "exploded" you mesh: is it an UV cut? An hard edge? If you cut you mesh there you should have locked the normals before. Good luck!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    But on the other hand, when I review my current character, there isn't THAT many mistakes. I feel like a couple more iterations and I'll be having pretty clean, good looking models. 

***Update: After discussing this with the programmer, we decided, "Fuck it. We're going all out. We can do something more simple if things prove too difficult."

Wow I've never seen someone get banned for being so doggedly ignoring reality. It's not against the rules or anything but you might pull it off!

What you seem to think is the case, is that with each model you will get better and better... like magically some how?

What everyone is telling you is that you are going to repeat really stupid technical errors over and over until you actually stop. And diagnose these problems. now.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    @fearian :

It looks like you haven't read all of the conversation. I explained my process of how I keep moving forward and fix mistakes. You don't know my situation or anything about me, so don't be so aggressive. 

@fatihG_

Yes, that is probably a more comprehensive way to learn. For this reason, I am focusing on some of the props for the game now rather than doing another character. I appreciate the advice regarding this.

@Olingova

Yeah, that is at a UV seam.

And just to reiterate guys -- I figured this was a somewhat simple problem to fix, but for the time my patience for researching and fixing problems is all used up. Like you guys have noticed, I have largely skipped over the basics, so you can imagine that by trying to do a big model like this I have to learn a lot and solve lots of problems that are novel to me. This all requires energy, and I work at it around 5-8  hours a day most days.

So at some point, I say this is good enough for right now. But the model is not going anywhere! I will go through another character, reinforce methods I've learned, find new problems and solve them, and most importantly I have  catalog of situations I encountered with the previous model and I make sure to solve them with the new model. 

TL:DR, what I am saying is that I am putting this model away for right now, but rest assured it will be fixed later, and it is very much in thanks to the kind advice and answers received from this thread.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Olingova said:
    EDIT: dont rly have the time to investigate but maybe the seam on the shoulder is caused by the way you "exploded" you mesh: is it an UV cut? An hard edge? If you cut you mesh there you should have locked the normals before. Good luck!
    Ah, right there. This is something new to me. I don't know about "locking normals", but now that Olingova has shared his experience about this, I know what to look up and learn about so that I can understand these types of problems. 

My main method for learning is Pluralsight tutorials. They show you how to do things, but often times they don't cover all the mistakes a beginner will make while following along. So the entirety of my learning so far is from those tutorials, google searches, and asking questions on forums like these. I've been at this for a couple months -- starting from zero knowledge of anything having to do with technology -- so what might seem like a simple answer from somebody with lots of experience is just a vague point in the right direction to me. I need these hints, but for them to be comprehensive answers I still have to do a lot of research and trial by fire. I'm  not a total dummy, but I really don't have any basis in computer technology or this kind of work, period. Thus, things that others may understand quickly takes me more time because I have more fundamental things to learn. 

But, the way I see it, a big complex model is just lots of small simple models. One way or another, I'll need to learn these same things. But a complex model is kind of like taking a bite of food that is a little to big. It can be uncomfortable to chew! But don't worry, I always finish my food. 

• fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Thus, things that others may understand quickly takes me more time because I have more fundamental things to learn. "

Yup, thats why we suggest to tackle something basic first.
    That way you dont spend all your creative energy of technical issues. 

Making progress on your project is understandable, but if you simply dive in head first, the project will suffer. As you will get more and more frustrated on technical issues. Decide that something is 'good enough' when it really isn't. etc.
    Personally the only time you can call something 'good enough' is when you are polishing. As in the polish stage everything is done and all you are doing is refining.

Anyway keep going. All we are trying to do is make your learning experience more smooth. =]
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    fatihG_ said:
    "Thus, things that others may understand quickly takes me more time because I have more fundamental things to learn. "

Yup, thats why we suggest to tackle something basic first.
    That way you dont spend all your creative energy of technical issues. 

Making progress on your project is understandable, but if you simply dive in head first, the project will suffer. As you will get more and more frustrated on technical issues. Decide that something is 'good enough' when it really isn't. etc.
    Personally the only time you can call something 'good enough' is when you are polishing. As in the polish stage everything is done and all you are doing is refining.

Anyway keep going. All we are trying to do is make your learning experience more smooth. =]
    Thank you, much appreciated. 

I'm about to turn 30, so I doubt I'll be making any radical personality changes. I tend to do things the hard way for no good reason... But the good thing is that I've switched to a degree in digital media, so I'll have plenty of instructions and exercises in the basics. That should help round things out and fill in the blanks I have from self learning.
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    So if you wanna have more info about this thing just tell me, on another thread if you think bout letting this one go down :) Basically; i dont really know how you split/exploded you mesh for the baking; but if you did it by setting every UV island apart there is a high probabilty that the normals on your UV seams (the shoulder) are not the same anymore, causing that visible seam. The easy solution is to lock the normals of the vertex of the UV seams before splitting it
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Olingova said:
    So if you wanna have more info about this thing just tell me, on another thread if you think bout letting this one go down :) Basically; i dont really know how you split/exploded you mesh for the baking; but if you did it by setting every UV island apart there is a high probabilty that the normals on your UV seams (the shoulder) are not the same anymore, causing that visible seam. The easy solution is to lock the normals of the vertex of the UV seams before splitting it
    Thanks. I'm working on a gun model, then I think I'll come back and revisit this character to get him squared away. I'll see if I can figure it out from what you've told me already. Now I know a few more things to look into for the troubleshooting. I'll just have to figure out how to actually do them in Maya. 

It will be a week from now at least.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    EDIT: Before anybody responds to this question,  I may have posted too soon. Poking around Maya's documentation, I think all I may need to do is adjust a few settings when I mirror the geometry over.

Sorry to revive this thread, but I've got some normal map questions again and I figured it would be better for me to keep similar questions in one place rather than spam the boards...

Anyway, I've made a more simple character, and my normal maps have turned out fine except for two issues. I know what I did to cause the issue, but I am not sure if there is a way to correct it without redoing half the UV unwrapping on this model. You'll see what I mean...

I thought I could get away with mirroring the model to save some time, but I did not know when I did that that I would need to flip the UV's. Well, now I know, and I figure I can chop him in half again and redo it, but isn't there a way to normalize the way the UV's are facing? I have normalized the surface normals, they are all pointing the right way. And as you can see in the UV layout Maya is telling me that the UV shells are all facing the same way as well (because they are blue, not red). And yet when I bake my map, clearly half of each shell is NOT facing the correct way.

Cutting him in half and flipping the UV's shouldn't be a big deal if that is the way it has to be done. But there is one more issue -- notice the stark seams. Is that because I have too much of a difference between the pixel density for the adjacent shells? Other than those seams, the details are coming through perfectly from the hi res. 

As always, thanks a lot for any advice.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Problem solved. 

Ok, for posterity, if you are working on a symmetrical mesh and want to speed up your UV's, just use symmetry when cutting your seams. If you have a half mesh and want to mirror it after unwrapping, make sure you set "flip uv's" option in the mirror options panel. If you don't do this but sew your pieces together, it looks like in my case maya does not recognize that two parts of a single UV shell can be facing opposite ways, and thus the problems you see above.

But if you unwrap half a mesh and mirror, then you still have to go in and sew all these lines back together. In my case, that got maya acting weird with its unfold options, so i ended up just redoing the UV's from scratch. So, TL:DR, don't do your UV's and then mirror unless you are highly experienced and already know about all this stuff already.

For a simple character like this with just a few pieces, it only took 20 minutes to unwrap him again with HeadusUVlayout. If you don't know about that, i recommend trying the free trial version. It is a really easy way to unwrap your meshes, but I also recommend learning to do it in your 3d application as well because, for me at least, I didn't really have a good understanding of what was going on until I worked through this a few times solely in Maya.