Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Vladimir, the Blood Lord.

Darkzan
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Darkzan polycounter lvl 5
Hello everyone!
For this contest, i will go with the Blood Lord skin of my favorite Ap Champion : Vladimir.
It is a legendary skin so it is supposed to be a badass one, so i will try to make it so.
Hope you will enjoy!

Replies

• Darkzan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there, here is my progress on Vladimir. I've almost done the High poly version. Feel free to comment if you have any feedbacks, it will be a pleasure.
  • Darkzan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there, 
    Here is my progress on Vladimir. I wasnt really satisfied with what i have done with him. On his main skin, Vladimir looks thin with a elongated frame unlike his legendary skin wich is more massif with more muscles. So I increased his appearance to make him more legen..., wait for it, ...dary. I also added a little bit more details on his face giving him a more realistic and evil look. Still have to work on the hair and the cloak then i will start doing some tests for the color. Hope you' ll enjoy!

• Darkzan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!! the HP is done, let's start with the colors!

• Darkzan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there, i 've finally finished the texturing...It was my first attempt in hand painted texturing of a character. It was really fun, but more complicated than i thought...On my HighPoly, i made the legs a bit thinner because the previous one was a little bit too fat...next step, the posing!

• yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    yararstss polycounter lvl 6
    yeh, sorry for the late response. I followed the whole process, darkzan, congratilations for the conclusion. For the first time it is realy cool, especially the face. I would like to see more about your process. How did you texture it? What were your steps? Could you show the UV mapping?
  • Darkzan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thank you for your response.
    Well it is true, i should have put more about my process...
    After finishing my low poly, i baked the ambient occlusion in Xnormal.
    Then i used 3dcoat to correct some errors on the Ao.
    With photoshop, i painted the  base colors using gradient map for each parts of the character ( body, hair, armor,...)to have some color variant then went back to 3dcoat.
    I added some chaos by painting some damage lines, using layers in screen and multiply mode.
    I created a layer in overlay mode for painting the lighting and an other one for the edges of the armor. 
    Then i created an other layer in color dodge mode for the shiny parts. 
    I calculated an other AO on the top of these.
    Finally, i used the gradient tool with black for the bottom and white to the top to darker the bottom part and i did the same with red.
    I dont think it s the best way to do it but that how i did it. I hope it will be useful.

Here is my UV mapping:

I think it could be  improved  so much more...

Btw, you can find some great texturing tutorials made by this amazing riot artist YBourykina like this one:
  • FemkeSchaars
    Offline / Send Message
    FemkeSchaars triangle
    I think you might want to add some more edgeloops on your cape, so that the polygon density is more similar to the body.
    If this cape would be animated it would look weird. For a more fluent animation more polys in the cape would be desirable :P
  • yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    yararstss polycounter lvl 6
    Interesting, darkzan, I had not thought about the gradient map, I'll try so. Thank you for the explanation and for the beatiful tutorial that you shared! Of course it will be useful. And again, congrats  :)
  • Iced_Latte
    Offline / Send Message
    Iced_Latte triangle
    @Darkzan I like how fast you're going through the process! His colors is working really well so far. I'd love to see how he fit in the floor for LOL. 
  • Darkzan
    Offline / Send Message
    @FemkeSchaars Oh thank you for your feedback. You are right, i will add some resolution on the cape. Thanks for the tips.

@yararstss Thank you and you are very welcome!

@Iced_Latte Thank you.

Here is it, Vladimir  with the background:

• Iced_Latte
    Offline / Send Message
    Iced_Latte triangle
    He's looking great! Congratulations :)
  • Darkzan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, i forgot to post my final screenshots here so here we go:

One week left, final stretch!! good luck everybody!