Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dishonored 2 & "Death of the Outsider" materials and props

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Nini polycounter lvl 9
Hi everyone,

I haven't post anything on Polycount since 2014 for the first Dishonored.
On the other hand, I did many little posts on Artstation. 
I wanted to share pics in this forum, but I was waiting to have something substantial.
Then, this is a little summury made of mixed up pics from these 2 games.

These materials and assets were made between 2013 and 2017.
My workflow on Dishonored 2 used mainly Zbrush, Maya and Photoshop.
Photoshop was replaced with Painter for the next production: "Death of the Outsider".
For those who haven't seen these pics and appreciate Arkane's style: I hope you'll enjoy them!  :)

PROPS:

MODULAR ARCHITECTURE:

MATERIALS SWAPS:

MATERIALS:

ANIMALS:

Replies

• artbychien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artbychien polycounter lvl 8
    Very awesome!
    Could you share what programs you use for creating textures?
    Or your typical workflow of prop creation?
    Thank you :)
  • Nini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nini polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks! :smiley:
    For Dishonored 2: Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop, and a bit of Designer.
    For "Death of the Outsider", Photoshop was replaced with Painter
  • NeonGold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeonGold polycounter lvl 5
    Absolutely stunning! Do you work mostly from concepts, or are these your original ideas too?
  • MrBFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrBFox greentooth
    Just after wrapping up my first of playthrough of D2 a few minutes ago (with Death of the Outsider sitting on the Xbox ready to play), great work, love the art direction in the games.

Having to build assets to fit in a fictional world like Dishonoured, Would there be much Collaboration with the  Concept Artists on wether or not a design is working in 3D or if it fits with the rest of a levels assets/art direction?
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Really awesome to see how high quality even simple props are D:
    I really like the wooden statues, the material definition is spot on!
  • Nini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nini polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks all! ^^
    In the Dishonored, we didn't have a lot of concepts. Only some for the main props.
    But for D2 & Doto, we had a lot more. But for the smallest assets, like the conveyor, the pipe, etc.. we had to create them from scratch.
    But as we've digested the Art direction during a few years now, it' wasn't not very complicated.
    Sometimes, for some assets we also used to get 3D concept. Very helpfull too.
    If some of you have checked out the art book, you'll be able to have a clear view on the game's concepts.

For the wooden statues, definition is not that hudge...Our texel density is around 512 pixel/meter. But the statues are pretty big (around 3m high as I remember)
  • PraxisPixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PraxisPixels polycounter lvl 6
    Man those wood statues are some of my favorite designs in the whole game. Fantastic job man! This stuff is super inspiring. 

I'm excited to see what you'll do next!
  • wormo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wormo polycounter lvl 5
    Simply amazing. Great quality and everything has a lived in feeling. I think the peeling paper on the billboard is one of my favorite parts. So many cool designs... I love the pipe and the street light. Small things that you can tell had a lot of thought put into them :)
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    loved seeing these on artstation, you're really fucking talented dude those materials were orgasmic : )
  • Nini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nini polycounter lvl 9
    thank you all guys! :blush:
  • youssef achari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    youssef achari polycounter lvl 7
    it is amazing, nice job!
  • fhurtubise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fhurtubise polycounter lvl 3
    I absolutely love your handpainted style. As someone who has always textured primarily in Painter, I can't help but feel that I've missed out by not using PS, but I'm really relieved to see that you've been able to fully switch to Painter and keep the same quality. :)

A question for you: coming from PS, do you feel that you miss certain tools or workflows in Painter, and if so, have you found any tricks (very broadly) to compensate for their lack?
  • Nini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nini polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys.

I feel in Painter a feeling pretty close from PS. It's just easier because I don't have to switch from a albedo to gloss all the time :) And no more UVs seams worries! 
    One thing I use to do a lot in PS, is pick a color with a tolerance and use a color balance control+B. This do a very subtil job because it can be applied only for each chanel RGB, affecting dark, mid or light colors. I don't really miss that a lot in Painter...But in Designer!! Hell yes!! To my opinion, their HSL is crap...And make a nice color map is the most difficult part in that soft.
    In Painter, there's also a big thing missing, I think: not being able to paint out of 0-1 UV range...Making tiling difficult to make, because ez to break. 
    For the rest, every thing is conveniant :)
  • fhurtubise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fhurtubise polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks a lot for the reply! You make me very hopeful for the power of Painter :)
  • Nini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nini polycounter lvl 9
  • bystry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bystry polycounter lvl 3
    Great stuff, I'm very impressed by style and quality you achieved in this game. Very inspiring, thanks for share:)
  • Nini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nini polycounter lvl 9