Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Character Art - Jester Ekko - JLMayen

jlmayen
vertex
Offline / Send Message
jlmayen vertex
LATEST UPDATE:

----------------------
Hi everyone!

I am really motivated with this contest, as this means a new challenge for me, specially in relation to hand painted texture. For this, I am going to give a try at Ekko, making a new skin for him as a Jester/Joker (from playing cards), as I think I can match very well the personality and story of the character with this concept. 

For my first idea, I made a paintover on a concept found at universe.leagueoflegends.com. I hope this is allowed, otherwise I can remove it. Thanks!

Replies

• jlmayen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    Hi all,

I started blocking the anatomy of my character, still working on general proportions, anatomy and face likeness. I'll show the rest of the body when it's less shameful, hehehe.
    C&C are welcome!

• jlmayen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    Hi, a small update here. I added the hands and worked a bit on the lower body (not very happy with this at the moment, but wanted to keep the post updated so I can start getting some feedback) Thank you!

• Baac320
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baac320 polycounter lvl 3
    Good concept, but i feel that his hands are bigger than his hands xD, btw good luck
  • jlmayen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    Thank you for your feedback Baac320. Actually I was checking the proportions with some images and videos, and they also looked big to me, but let's see how it goes when he has all the props modelled.

On the other hand, here I show my latest progress, with some rough blocking of some clothes. Very very rough now, and I am not happy at all with the hair... Let's continue, hehe :D

• jlmayen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    Latest progress, still blocking main shapes. Every part of it will need proper modelling, let's see!

• jlmayen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    Hi again everyone, after a long pause on this project due to several reasons, here I bring a small update with a sketch I did for the head. I hope you can give me some advice, thanks in advance!

• jlmayen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    I was sculpting a bit more today, and couldn´t wait to paint a little bit, so he starts to feel more 'alive', heheh. Anyway I plan to do the proper painting on Substance Painter, after retopo and UVs. Hope you like it!

• jlmayen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    Hi again all!

Here I bring my latest progress, slowly but getting there! I need your help with the hair: I am not sure of any of these styles, although I like more A, but I don't know if I should go more in the direction of the original character as in B. Please let me know what you think!

• jlmayen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    Hi everyone,

Long time without posting, but here I come with my retopo and some more prop modeling (I decided to go for an accordion on his back). Right now I am slightly above 12k tris, but still missing the weapon. I'll try to optimize a bit the polycount, model the weapon and do the UVs to paint it (can´t wait!). Still a bit to do before the deadline, but I think I can manage.

Please share your thoughts! :D

Good luck to everyone!

• jlmayen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    Hi again!

Here I bring my latest progress, started painting after optimizing the topology and unwrapping UVs. Right now is under 12k tris, including weapon, which I'll show on a next post. I've focused on painting the face and skin, the rest is reeeeally rough. Still a bit to do but getting there! :D

Thanks for watching, hope you find this interesting!