Home General Discussion

Battle Angel Alita movie

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
Been waiting for this movie for quite a few years now, was starting to think it would never come out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj8mN_7Apcw

Not really a fan of what they've shown so far. The original was very blade-runner'esk, but with the city being more like a junk yard. This really doesn't come across as dilapidated enough. And why are there skyscrappers in the movie when they were expressly forbidden in the original? And what's with the owner of the Grind Cutters redesign (can't even tell if it's Kinuba or Makaku)?

The eyes being huge makes sense given she is supposed to be doll-like, but I think that'll be the first thing to really throw most people off. I definitely thin she still needs some work to look less creepy next to the live action cast.

Replies

• Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    the stuff of nightmares. Looks like a pixar character is interacting with a human cast... 
  • Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    I thought it was weird but I don't think it would detract from my enjoyment of it
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Axi5 said:
    I thought it was weird but I don't think it would detract from my enjoyment of it
    I'm on the other end. I don't think I could focus on anything else if I watched it. It was a terrible design choice.

Much like the choice to have Motoko run around naked everywhere in the Ghost in the Shell movie....
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    I think there are other ways to get her to look doll-like instead of giving her big eyes, Ex Machina did a good job of making Ava look doll-like through makeup and vfx. It's just so jarring next to the real-life characters, maybe it would work if everyone had anime size eyes.
  • ajramsey28
    Offline / Send Message
    ajramsey28 triangle
    I am not really familiar with the original content but this trailer gave me mixed feelings, it looks cool, but her eyes really bother me. I find dolls to be creepy to begin with...so having her look doll like is unsettling. XD 
  • Ryusaki
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    Don't have any problems with the eyes, but her mouth looks strange. In the manga she had these thick lips, somehow she doesn't look right without them.
    The one thing that really makes my blood boil is the fact that this looks like a sanitized, child friendly Disney-version of Alita which is absolutely disgusting.
    The manga is grim dark, rotten, ultra violent, depressing and totally not child friendly. Children are getting slaughtered, people ripped apart, skulls smashed into gory pulp on a regular basis. This world is one of the most depressing dystopias I've ever seen and if the Hollywood movie tries to clean that up, it will fail horribly in my eyes.
    Hopefully i am wrong and it gets an hard R-rating, but i don't have any hope left in me in. Not after Ghost in the Shell which was also absolutely disgusting for similar reasons (not sticking with the canon and dumbing it down).

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    so is this the IP people had been mentioning for surely over a decade that james cameron supposedly had been holding onto and developing for years? somehow i thought his side project was neon genesis evangelion.

Much like the choice to have Motoko run around naked everywhere in the Ghost in the Shell movie....
    which movie was that? surely not the live action one from earlier this year?

• KindachiShota
    Ryusaki said:
    Don't have any problems with the eyes, but her mouth looks strange. In the manga she had these thick lips, somehow she doesn't look right without them.
    The one thing that really makes my blood boil is the fact that this looks like a sanitized, child friendly Disney-version of Alita which is absolutely disgusting.
    The manga is grim dark, rotten, ultra violent, depressing and totally not child friendly. Children are getting slaughtered, people ripped apart, skulls smashed into gory pulp on a regular basis. This world is one of the most depressing dystopias I've ever seen and if the Hollywood movie tries to clean that up, it will fail horribly in my eyes.
    Hopefully i am wrong and it gets an hard R-rating, but i don't have any hope left in me in. Not after Ghost in the Shell which was also absolutely disgusting for similar reasons (not sticking with the canon and dumbing it down).

Now thats you tell me :O 
  • swann
    Offline / Send Message
    swann polycounter lvl 4
    So guys... does it bother you that she is not completely human? It look like so :D
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Everyone keeps bringing up the eyes which is of course looking weird, but the thing that should bother everyone is how clean and bright everything looks, feels like they are trying to make a movie that kids are allowed to go watch, and this manga is like a futuristic version of berserk, not sure why  not more people are talking about this, 90% of what made this manga good was the dark atmosphere and that the use of gore was really used well to take it to the next level, in the trailer I don't know if I'm watching player one or the alita trailer.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I was a fan of Alita back in the day but I cant remember much about it other than she wore tight body hugging catsuits and kicked ass. Also played Motorball (roller ball but more brutal).

Saying the eyes are fine because she's a robot isn't quite true afaik. Her head and chest are found intact and she's made into a cyborg. However the face might have been reconstructed for some other reason or this movie story might be different.

Why don't the other cyborgs/robots have similar anime features?

I know its difficult to translate the manga style into a full 3d character. I don't think its ever been done convincingly at least in an animated way. Seen plenty of still models that look great but when its animated it never works. A lot of films barely scrape by with CG realistic characters never mind anime style, so it was never going to look good.

Artist Steven Stalhberg did a paintover to correct a few things anyway.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1352682454858706&set=a.102938643166433.2555.100003508925689&type=3&theater

Gif comparrison
    https://www.facebook.com/tetsuoo/videos/10212384882231945/

It does look dreadful though and its like its trying to make the uncanny valley even deeper. Its a terrible design choice and I honestly cant understand why they chose that route.

That said... The rest of the stuff looks awesome and I'll try not to let the eyes thing bother me too much....but it will.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • Ryusaki
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    I am kinda angry at James Cameron. He should have made this instead of blue pocahontas.
    He could have done it.
    But instead we most probably will get an sanitized PG-13 version of it.
    I do have some respect for Rodriguez, but i am not sure if he can pull it off.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it's super weird - especially since the gritty/perversive live action formula has been there for a while ... These feel much more like Gunm to me :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUgVSSQL9xU&ab_channel=jeanfredi
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvtoaOXgPsU&ab_channel=FranceMikalas
    On the bright side, recent CGI/Hollywood adaptations don't affect the source material in the slightest - the original still remains good regardless of what happens to the IP later.
  • Ryusaki
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    But that's not the point Pior, i want to see an adaption done right, and like i said with this IP in combination with Cameron and his performance capture and real 3D technique i actually had a good feeling.
    But now i doubt they shot with real stereoscopic cameras, the design is off and the whole thing is too clean and nice.
    So if they fuck up that adaption there won't be another. Same with Ghost in the Shell, that IP is burned.
    Akira will be next or Cowboy Bebop i am pretty sure, and if they fucked that up too, Hollywood is basically done with every one of my favorite anime/manga IP's.
    It won't have any effect on my enjoyment of the originals, but these fuck-ups will take the place of a potential good adaption and there will be no second chance.
    If that is going to happen i think i have to declare war on Hollywood. Not that i am in friendly terms with it but i guess i have to escalate.

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, well personally I see it a bit differently ... it doesn't really matter to me how good (or bad) the hollywood versions are, because the source mangas/animes are still filled with things unnoticed at first glance, clever craftsmanship to go back to and learn from, obscure spin off volumes to dig up on ebay, and so on. No need for any reboots/re-telling/IP expanding (good or bad) as far as I am concerned. I would agree that this is a cynical way of looking at all this, but it helps :)

Now that said ... the recent Appleseed CG movies were okay-ish but not great, and a live action version would definitely look awful. But if you squint a bit it's kindof already out there - at least in spirit !

I guess what I am getting at is that I am personally happy to enjoy stuff that is inspired by the classics, rather than hoping for literal adaptations that will most likely not do them justice.

In short ... Chronicle was a great Akira and that's good enough for me :)
  • Ryusaki
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    I am one of those guys who sees wasted potential. And i think i am much more radical than you.
    It would be OK if there where NO adaption because something which does not exist cannot be bad. I follow the principle of: if you want to do something, better do it right or don't do it at all. I am a perfectionist and i demand it from others. I know, i know. But i consider all of these originals we where speaking of earlier as perfect.
    (No perfection truly exists, there are minor flaws, but IMHO they are as close as possible to perfection)
    If these original exists, then a perfect adaption is possible. But Hollywood isn't even trying. What it is trying to do is to make a lot of money and that is exactly the problem. I hate the current studio system because it allows non-artist (producers) to make artistic decisions, which is purely wrong.
    They should just give the money, shut the fuck up and let the artist do the work*. All these mega franchises who are popular today are the work of artists who went out and took a risk and it payed off.  Success does not come from exploiting an established formula it comes from the risk of trying new things.

The risk of anime/manga adaptions would be to stick to their spirit and don't press them into a formula, because from an western perspective these are from a different mentality and it is that mentality which is attractive to a lot of westerners. By streamlining them into a western mentality they loose exactly what makes them attractive in the first place.
    I have no idea how much of this applies to Alita and Robert Rodriguez, i do have the opinion that he and Cameron are actual fans but we will see.

I just realized that i am still not over my hatred for the Ghost in the Shell adaption so i guess most of what i wrote was addressed at this movie and Rupert Sanders and whoever produced that POS.

*applies to the gaming industry as well. EA and Activision and Ubisoft should just give the money an shut up already about micro-transactions an lootboxes and other mechanisms of greed. Let the artist do their thing and the end result will be good and the customers will come.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    pior said:
    In short ... Chronicle was a great Akira and that's good enough for me :)
    Chronicle was a fucking awesome film, when you consider the budget and lack of publicity etc. It was so good in fact that they decided to reboot it as the new Power Rangers movie lol.
  • throttlekitty
    I haven't heard of Chronicle, I'll have to check that out.

I'm really on the fence with the design choice for Alita. To me, it comes off as too creepy, but I don't know how I'd change it personally, not that it's my place to. The action looks dope though. I've seen lots of other comments around the net about the bright environment and I really don't get it. I love the dark, gritty, neon encrusted dark of a typical cyberpunk as much as anyone else, but why can't it be bright and sunny, or at least some of the time? I rewatched Tank Girl a while back, that's a good example of a bright setting that uses lots of darks, and stays gritty the whole time.

@pior is that appleseed pic a photobash or from a photoshoot?

gotta toss this in now that you got me thinking about tetsuo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nAAcYTCibY
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh cool @throttlekitty , I wasn't aware of that one ! Gotta check it out. I love how these cheap B movies (or is that C ? Or Z ? :D ) really capture the gut churning feel of brutal mangas like Gunm.

And I agree that it's not our place to "backseat art direct" the bright future/big eyes thing especially considering how easy it is to do as a quick photoshop paintover. I am actually a bit disappointed that Sahlberg did that honestly, it's a bit cheap imho.

(Now of course I am a bit hypocritical to say that since I did something similar myself with a SFV mod/remodel because I didn't like the way Ken's face looked. But at least remodelling the thing from scratch and putting it in game takes more effort than a mere 5 mins paintover posted on FB. That said, I am still really torn as to whether or not I should have done it in the first place, because it is obvious that the guy who modelled the original is an excellent artist who probably received self-contradicting/nonsensical art direction. It's already an annoying position to be in, so having people from the outside redo it isn't the best feeling. But I guess this comes with the territory of being a commercial artist, and that probably applies to whoever worked on Alita here too.)

About that Appleseed mockup : Yeah, it's a screenshot of Dredd with Brie's head slapped onto it, and a visual treatment to make it look like something Niel Blomkamp/Chris Cunningham would do :) I loved the interaction of the characters in the movie, their relationship really reminded me of Brie/Deunann. The actress looks a LOT like the character too, and is way more convincing in this sort of role than, say, Scarlett Johansson as The Major.

Chronicle is fantastic, I hope you'll like it !

Oh and, totally agreed about gritty cyberpunk being compatible with bright scenery - The Aria (aka Zeiram) movies did that well. The Hakaider movie is pretty cool too, and shares a few themes with Gunm (The "bad guy(s)" living in a white and pristine place, and so on).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq84919Hjg8&ab_channel=HollywoodCinema
  • throttlekitty
    Oh, actually don't watch that trailer, sorry. Just decided to skim it and it's one of those "the whole damn movie" things. fuck those.
  • David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    This movie was awesome! I went to see it last week and I was engaged from start to finish. 

From watching the trailers I thought the size of the eyes would bother me but 10 min in you are so connected to Alita that you are just along for the ride. 
    Also great pacing on the action sequences. I'm not quite sure how to put the differences in editing or what compared to Marvel movies for example, but the action sequences in Alita were outstanding and memorable.
  • lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    I thought it was a good movie, Eyes did not bother me at all. Would recommend to watch.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    The art and tech behind is from outer space. I have no idea how they animate such massive data.
    https://www.artofvfx.com/alita-battle-angel-eric-saindon-vfx-supervisor-mike-cozens-animation-supervisor-weta-digital/
  • oraeles77
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
    its an alrright film, but as im no longer 14 years old a lot of it was lost on me. I realised though that when I first saw the cartoon on VHS back in 1993/4 (?) how violent it was then, despite the movie being a pretty close scene for scene remake, it lacked the sadistic violence, like when the dog gets killed in the cartoon and they say 'we need your help hunter warriors!' and the other bounty hunters reply 'I AINT TAKING HIM ON!' etc, to great comic effect, and in the film they are too prude to even show a dog getting killed!
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    So I watched this last week. It was a fun movie on its own, but it's a basically a modified version of the OVA, which itself was a rather heavily modified version of the source manga, and then altered further to get a PG-13 rating along with plenty of other random changes. As a result, the film ended up being a complete bastardization of the original manga. Makaku in particular was mangled to the point of being basically unrecognizable (both in terms of design and story).

Maybe one day Alita will get a new film done by someone that actually respects the source.
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    oglu said:
    The art and tech behind is from outer space. I have no idea how they animate such massive data.
    https://www.artofvfx.com/alita-battle-angel-eric-saindon-vfx-supervisor-mike-cozens-animation-supervisor-weta-digital/
    wow, now it's clear that the eyes are that big for technical reason  :o
    "The end result was 8.5 million polygons per eye compared to Gollum who had 50,000 polygons total for his entire character."

Seriously, the stuff looks impressive, though I have no clue what they are using that huge amount of polygons for, but fortunately they know.
    Wouldn't have expected Gollum to be so low-poly, is that before subdivision or just one of many models?!

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I assume that is the polycount without subD.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Why would they do a 8mil base mesh that is unworkable? thats surely with SubD
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    They have all the fibers in the eyes. And they dont use the mesh for animation.
    Its the mesh thats get send to the renderer + displacement on top.

im sure we get a breakdown video like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0WOzxtXqTQ
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @JoshuaG What are those opinions?  Let's not make this just a collective praise about the CG tech.
  • David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    After watching some interviews with James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez you can tell they really know the source the material and you understand why they have to make changes to make it less violent. Here is a good one with James Cameron. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVb3VqX6CiM

Back to the tech side, is this previs for Alita running on Unreal?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQnrHwmpJ04
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J said:
    After watching some interviews with James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez...you understand why they have to make changes to make it less violent.

Cameron basically says they didn't want to do a coming of age film with R-rated levels of violence. The problem is that level of violence was a large part of what made Alita/Gallys 'coming of age' story so incredible. The world she was a part of was so twisted and insane that the fact she was able to persevere and stay sane despite it all showed her strength and will. Toning down the world she lives in also directly weakens her as a character as a result.
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Anyone knows if they're still making that AKIRA adaptation?
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Finally got to see it, harder to make time now days.

My thoughts, such a waste of good content, writing was terrible, and they just rushed the story to get the milestones in. The Asian style of story telling in Manga/dramas whatever builds on big reveals, and Gunm did that as well, what keeps you in the story is that you are waiting for other people in the story to react to big secrets and reveals, in this movie all of a sudden they just start having casual conversations about the most important reveals in the series making the world and Alita feel small and unimportant.

The actual graphical content had potential, but they went the safe way with pg-13, missing the whole theme of the manga, the darkness and gory side of gunm is what made it gunm, and forcing a weird love story into it just made it worse, if you had time for that shit you could have tried pacing the main story better.

Overall a good movie to see in the cinema, maybe a 5/10, nothing like the manga, if they had stayed on course it could have been a 10/10, such a waste, I think they had no idea what they were creating, and had Cameron ever read the manga or understood what made the original story great he would never have let this one be sent for release but I guess they were pressured as well.
  • Ryusaki
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    I was invited to watch Captain Marvel with some friends on Friday and the movie kinda pissed me off, totally dull and unimpressive. I wanted to have some fun in the cinema, so i said fuck it and watched Alita the same evening despite not having planned to see it in the cinema and despite my usual mindset of not throwing good money after bad money.
    I wasn't expecting much due to the critics but to my surprise i found it very entertaining. The movie has a lot of flaws and most of the criticism towards it is correct and understandable but overblown. I don't get critics these days. Captain Marvel sits at an average of 7-8/10 while Alita has an average of 5-6/10.
    IMHO its the exact opposite. Alita was a fun movie, the best anime/manga adaption to date (not a high bar to reach but still).
    The character is mesmerizing, the acting/actress and the VFX. She was perfect. I was indifferent to the whole uncanny-valley manga eye thing, but 10 minutes in the movie and i totally forgot about all of that. I am totally on board with this style and i understand now why they did it and want more.
    I haven't had so much fun watching a movie in the cinema since Mad Max: Fury Road.
    WETA did an outstanding job, the world feels real and lived in, not some plastic potemkin village, the cyborgs looked awesome, the action was crystal clear and most importantly shot beautifully without shitty shaky cam and stupid editing. The CGI on Alita sets a new bar.
    The cringey dialog in some scenes, the PG13 rating, the somewhat messy narrative structure, the teeny love story, i don't care about all of that, the movie was an experience and i want an sequel.
    I am somewhat surprised that i actually liked it that much, but it is as it is.
    7.5 out of 10, will watch again.

I don't think so. That movie is cursed with permanent development hell and i don't see anybody being competent enough to pull it off, not to mention the fact that producers probably are scared off from it right now (rightfully so).