Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Animation

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] - Sarah Maigrot

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Haryas polycounter lvl 4
Hi everyone !  :)

It's my first polycount contest and I can't wait to start (just need to find the best rig and rigged my weapon :p ). Unfortunately I'll update during the week end as much as possible (I don't have enough time during the working days). 

Replies

• Haryas
    Offline / Send Message
    Haryas polycounter lvl 4

Hey Polycount !

It's time to start ! After different trials, I've found the rig I'll use for the contest. It's from the website riot shared. The rig is “ Mechanix Woman “. I already have an idea about my character and I don't want to be influenced by a "beautiful" character (with textures, accessories for example) or do not focus enough on the poses and silhouette. 

So, let's talk about my character and her weapon:

I've imagined a woman who likes dancing and having fun in fights. She's really agile with her weapon and never stops playing and dancing with it, likes the weapon is her dance partner. For her, fights are like shows, and fighters are actors. To please the audience (and also because it's funny !), she likes taunting people.

The weapon is a hoop which can transform to a lasso. Also there are spikes on it and they can be scaled so she can choose when they appear. With it, her moves are always fluid and in union like it's a part of her. 

About the animations:

For the moment I've choose to do a recall animation. For the moment, I'm looking for poses to get used to the rig and then, I start working on the recall. 

My references are a mix between salsa for her footsteps, hip-hop for the dynamic and strong poses, and gymnastic rhythmic for the movements with the weapon.

See you soon and good luck everyone ! (I've seen during the week a lot of good ideas :) )

• wasabiiroll
    Offline / Send Message
    wasabiiroll triangle
    I love the idea! I'm super into all things dance haha so I'm pretty excited to see what you do with this :) 
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Cool! Did you custom rig the weapon?
  • Haryas
    Offline / Send Message
    Haryas polycounter lvl 4
    @wasabiiroll Thanks, yeah same, this contest is the occasion to do this kind of animations  :p

@AnthonyAnimation I did the weapon, I thought first about a switch IK / FK with an IK spline, but I needed to set up a lot of things to get this working properly (like an influence between controllers). So, I choose to just have FK to change the weapon from a hoop to a lasso, it's not the easiest way to animation a lasso, but it's a good challenge. I hope that answered your question ;)

• Haryas
    Offline / Send Message
    Haryas polycounter lvl 4
    Hi ! :)

It's been a long time I didn't post update ! So, I've started the recall animation and I've still a long way to go :p You can see the last playblast I've done. I I need to do a pass on the existing poses (correcting the silhouette with the in game camera, some of them looks not really beautiful I think).

If you have any feedback, I have uploaded this on syncsketch (first time I use this, hope the link works ;) ) :  https://syncsketch.com/playground/7e8d2a945af54c05be1b1fdb71efd4ed#293214

• len_anim
    Offline / Send Message
    len_anim polycounter lvl 2
    It looks great!!! I left a comment in syncsketch.
  • Haryas
    Offline / Send Message
    Haryas polycounter lvl 4
    Thank you for the feedback :) Hopefully I've done a screenshot of your comment, some trolls of internet (I suppose ^^ ) have draw and delete your comment -_-'. It's the first time I use syncsketch and I wonder if I'm unlucky to get the feedback deleted or it happens a lot of time.
    Also, I've realised the gif has cut the end of my animation. I'll do a new gif next week !

• OskarCardozo
    Offline / Send Message
    OskarCardozo triangle
    Hi, i love the idea!!!, I left a little comment in syncsketch, maybe it can work. Good Luck !! :)
  • Haryas
    Offline / Send Message
    Haryas polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks OskarCardozo I saw that and you're right, I'll try to exaggerate more some poses :)
  • ajramsey28
    Offline / Send Message
    ajramsey28 triangle
    I love your idea, the weapon being a dance partner! So awesome and so far your blocking looks good too. I cant wait to see this in full action!
  • Haryas
    Offline / Send Message
    Haryas polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks a lot @ajramsey28 :)

Sorry it was really hard to find time to work on this and to upload the progress. So I'm here right now with this animation, I still have so much work to do on this animation like from the jump to the end (I focused on the first part of the animation). But, I feel I can exaggerate more the first part of the animation. What do you think about that ? Maybe the timing is too linear ?  

I have done different views, there are uploaded on syncsketch. Please feel free to leave feedbacks ! :)

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/7aaa2247df73/
  • KielFiggins
    Offline / Send Message
    KielFiggins polycounter lvl 7
    Looking fun Sarah, though I think you can push it further like you mentioned.  I'd look at Ribbon dancers for ref to layer on to what you have:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mvqD3-KIws

You can see right away how much their body spins around, legs and arms flair out and tuck back in, and the head, while focused, whips and leads the motions.

Best of luck!