Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Knight of the Realm

vertex
Offline / Send Message
JFranklin vertex
Hey! Everyone.
My first foray into the forums of Polycount. I started on a European Knight from the medieval era a week or so ago. 
Thought id post some shots of the work in progress, hopefully, get some good feedback to improve it as I go through this project.
The base mesh is around 9K polys, planning on having 3 texture sets 1 for the head, Weapon/Shield and the rest of the character in one.

There is a scabbard, sword, and shield to accompany him, but I have kept those separate for the time being.
So here goes, Cheers in advance!

Replies

• dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Hey @JFranklin! It looks like you've got a good start on the character but I would definitely recommend keeping things super simple and low poly / subdivs while you're working on the knight's forms and shapes. Right now I think his arms are too long and could use a bit of thickening up. Armor usually won't be skin tight, plus the thickness will give it a little more of a bulky and strong silhouette. 

Quick paintover regarding the arms:

It might be too early to mention, but you'll probably want to have more shape and some thickness in the cloth as well. Do you have any specific armor references that you're working off of? If you can you should post your reference so we can get a better understanding for the armor / character that you're putting together. Good luck moving forward with the knight! 
  • wormo
    Offline / Send Message
    wormo polycounter lvl 5
    looks like your off to a good start. are you using a reference? I'd like the helmet more if it had a few more details or something to break up the flatness of it.
  • JFranklin
    Offline / Send Message
    JFranklin vertex
    Hi @dGreenberg @wormo , Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, a few people I've talked to have mentioned the proportions are not looking correct. So i have spent some time reworking the model to get a bit more shape in the cloth and making the guy look better.
    Theres a comparison of old vs new: 

The thickness of the armour has proven to be a more tricky thing then I thought it would be, as some of the references I have been going off shows very form fitting relatively thin plates, which is why I have replicated that on this model. As I initially wanted to created quite thick armour, but could not find any research to back that up for the type of knight that I was creating. 
    I'll add that reference below so you can see, theres more on this board:
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/joeafranklin/medieval/
    tumblr_nxd13oPRtQ1s4qo3to1_1280jpg 6831024A breastplate of a Gothic armour Milan circa 148090Related image
  • JFranklin
    Offline / Send Message
    JFranklin vertex
    A quick update on the sculpt of the knight after the Christmas break, it's coming along nicely with only a few areas that still need major work namely one of the gauntlets and the large cloth. Before I refine the detail a bit more.

• JFranklin
    Offline / Send Message
    JFranklin vertex
    Attaching them again to make it easier for people to view.

• Ghogiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    his arms are looking a bit thin there. too much taper from upper to lower if having a normally athletic body. With a padded arming jacket and a lower cannon, his forearm imo should be bulkier.  
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Joe:

* Agreed, arms and legs look thin overall.  Would look at both the size of the armour and the thickness (and baggyness) of the cloth.
    * Hands and feet could be chunkier.
    * The pauldron armour could be opened up a little more to make for a more interesting silhouette. 
    * Be aware of how much empty space you are showing on some of the armour (upper most pauldron plate for example). Balance your armour layers for a more interesting appearance.
    * Look at the effect of gravity on your cloth (especially around the belt and hips). 
    * Make the torso slightly shorter. Will make the legs look longer.

Good luck mate!