Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

hand painted mobile game characters

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
decoyocelot polycounter lvl 6
Presently working on this project. ..zero light. diffuse only final texture.

Replies

• jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    your texturing is interesting, the mix of photos and a stylized proportions kind of throws me off.  The thread says hand painted, but they are clearly photos.  I think that these characters would benefit greatly from 100% hand painted textures.  You can still use you photos as ref, but get in there and paint away! 
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    your texturing is interesting, the mix of photos and a stylized proportions kind of throws me off.  The thread says hand painted, but they are clearly photos.  I think that these characters would benefit greatly from 100% hand painted textures.  You can still use you photos as ref, but get in there and paint away! 
    If you look closely at Mr Capable 's Ear and Suit (?) UV, you can see the brush strokes. In fact, it really is possible the whole thing was painted by hand because zoom in really close and you can see repeating patterns and leftover gradients. 

It kinda reminds me of PS2 games where realistic games would still have textures edited/painted with a 1 pixel brush. 

That said, how come the Mr.Capable guy has a mismatching scalp and skin color? I hope I'm not sounding insensitive but is it suppose to be a tan or is that his actual melanin breakdown?

Also, what are the shadow and cavity maps suppose to be if you already have AO? Are you trying to bake down the character's lighting even though that's usually reserved for static environment pieces? 

If you want realism, it should be albedo+roughness/specular/+normal+ao with no other lighting information painted in. If you want to hand paint your lighting then it should be diffuse only.
  • decoyocelot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decoyocelot polycounter lvl 6
    The highpoly was sculpted and poly painted in zbrush following their refence images.

And the details(shadow/light, AO, cavity) baked in xNormal and 3dsmax. 

The final scene is a diffuse only texture with no light.

i guess used a wrong thread title.....should probably change the title to something less confusing.

Thanks