FemCharles character sketchbook

polycounter lvl 4
Online / Send Message
FemCharles polycounter lvl 4
Hey everyone!

I thought i would start a sketchbook to start showcasing some of my work, specifically character work. I would like to keep a thread of all my work together so i can easily see the progress throughout.
I currently work as a environment/asset artist but i would like to make a transition into character art. I feel its a good opportunity to start posting more of my character work to get feedback and help develop my character art skills. 

I will try to keep my posts as streamline as possible. (i am currently working on multiple things at the same time.)

So with that said this is one of my current projects i am working on:

This is Pam a character design by Raquel Cornejo.
You can find her work here: https://www.artstation.com/raquelcornejo

She was kind enough to give me her permission to create it in 3D! I hope i do her design justice.

My overall goal is to create a lowpoly (ish) and all handpainted  character. I will be using zbrush to bake my maps to start my handpainted texture off.
This is pretty much my finished sculpt. I probably won't be doing anymore dramatic changes but small ones i can do before making the low. (although all crit will be noted and taken on board when creating my next character!)

Here are some screenshots from zbrush:

Any feedback is much appreciated! 

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet ngon master
    Cool concept, great sculpt, I think her hips are looking really wide though, even for stylized proportions its looking a bit freaky.
  • dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter lvl 2
    I really like that concept and your sculpt is looking awesome, @FemCharles! I do agree with lotet on the hips being a bit wide, but I also think you could lengthen the arms a little more. In the proportions of her concept it looks like her outstretched arm would maybe extend past her leggings just a bit.

I don't think your current version needs anything else but I would love to offer my 2 cents on what I would try, to push it closer to the concept's style. I think you could to squash the eyes from the sides juuuust slightly (to make them look a little rounder), as well as making the size of her head (but not her features) a bit larger. It might be easier to explain with a paint-over (sorry for the smudges and gray areas) what I'm thinking in my head:

That's just my own thoughts and preferences, but whatever you end up doing I can't wait to see how her low poly and her textures turn out!
  • FemCharles
    Online / Send Message
    @lotet Thank you lotet! You always take the time out to give feedback on my artwork/threads and i really appreciate it! I will relook at the hips today, maybe i pushed it way too far! 

@dGreenberg thank you for taking the time out to do a paintover! I really appreciate it. I will have a closer look at the proportions today and make some adjustments. I might just fiddle with some areas and see if i can get closer to the concept!

Thank you for all the feedback!

• FemCharles
    Online / Send Message
    I made some changes from the feedback i recieved. A friend of mine gave some really great feedback on the face so i actually went back and reworked it a bit. Along with the hair. Let me know what you think of the updated changes on the face.

The body i did some mild changes. I tucked in the skirt (i'm wondering if that made her hips look wider and i also pushed out her waist so she isn't as thin in the middle. The changes are subtle but i wanted to keep her quite curvy (although it still might need some adjustments.). I extended her arms slightly and her legs.

I made some gifs to show the before and after:

Same with the body:

Here are the stills comparisons:

I think it was worth taking the time and doing the changes. Thanks for the feedback so far!

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet ngon master
    Definitely looks better overall.
    I think the problem with the hips are mostly the curve it creates from the front view, 3/4 and side looks fine. I get that you want her to look curvy but make the thighs thick then, not the hips.

this is how my brain is interpenetrating the front view atm, and it looks borderline comical.

• Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Totally agree with Iotet concerning the hips.
    You need to have some sort of transition between the tiny waist and the wide hips for it to make sens, otherwise it just looks crazy as Iotet pointed it out.
    Otherwise I really did the concept and the style, looking forward to see where this is going!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir polycounter
    phhht ignore the haters
    Image result for phat ass

(no really though this looks ridiculous, @lotet is right on the money).
  • FemCharles
    Online / Send Message
    ahhhh no, i see it! 

@lotet
    Thanks for the paintover it helps me visualize it! 

So i made some adjustments on the hips and waist. I think it also unearthed some other anatomy problems. Once i adjusted the hips, i ended up slightly lengthening the torso. i lengthened the legs and thinned them out. I also adjusted the positioning. I lengthened the arms because i extended the legs. I'm not sure if it lost some dynamic shapes to it now though, although maybe that will come through when i do the pose at the end? I am unsure!

Anyway i hope this is a improvement! Let me know what you think. Many thanks for the feedbacks!

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet ngon master
    oh, I recognise that character :) Ive done that art test as well, how did it go for you?
  • FemCharles
    Online / Send Message
    @lotet

Haha! I was waiting for someone to recognize it! I can't talk much about it or who it was from but it went well i think :) 
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude greentooth
    Hey hey Charlotte, this character is looking great.

What are the texture limitations or can you not go into any details?

Keep me posted on how your getting on :) 
  • FemCharles
    Online / Send Message
    @littleclaude ; Hey Neil! How are you? It's been ages, we should catch up soon :) 

Thank you so much. The maximum tris budget was 3500 including the weapon and mine comes around in at 3167. The texture budget was 512 :)
  • GreenBeams
    Offline / Send Message
    GreenBeams polycounter lvl 3
    Looks fantastic - well done and best of luck!