Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Character Art - Mother of Pearl Nami

kkyeri
null
Offline / Send Message
kkyeri null
Hi everyone, my name is Kimberly and for the contest I've decided to create a Nami skin. The theme/name of the concept is 'Mother of Pearl Nami'. I've created a mood board to start with and I've also collected some references from the original concept art. I wanted to focus on a more elegant and regal feel for this Nami skin, so I've referenced more shells and fish that I believe have inspired my visual exploration.

Moodboard

Original Nami Concept from Riot

Replies

• kkyeri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kkyeri null
    Some silhouette exploration I did. 
  • kkyeri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kkyeri null
    Expanding on details and colour palette ideas.
  • jonjon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonjon polycounter lvl 6
    Personally I quite like 4 and 6 in your colour exploration, I think 6 works best with the "pearl" theme but I do also like the palette of 4 :smile:
  • kkyeri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kkyeri null
    jonjon said:
    Personally I quite like 4 and 6 in your colour exploration, I think 6 works best with the "pearl" theme but I do also like the palette of 4 :smile:

I was thinking the same thing! Right now I am leaning more towards 4 because I feel like the entire theme is based on the 'Mother of Pearl' and the colour palette makes her feel quite royal, like a queen. As you mention though, 6 does fit with the theme a lot more. I think when I get to the texturing stage I will try both because it might look different at that time. 
  • jonjon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonjon polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah I agree, you never know what it'll turn out like :smile: Can't wait to see what you make!
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    I quite like 4 and 6 as well. 
    6 already has a bit of 'mother of pearl' feel to it... so maybe number 4 could have more of a contrast to it? 
  • gyllenhaal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gyllenhaal polycounter lvl 3
    i like 6, the colors matching with the theme pearls. also it will look good with golden accessories :) 
  • kkyeri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kkyeri null
    Hi everyone! Sorry this is a super late reply/update. I've been so busy with finishing up classes and working on multiple projects but I've finally found some time to progress  my submission a bit more! 

Elithenia said:
    I quite like 4 and 6 as well. 
    6 already has a bit of 'mother of pearl' feel to it... so maybe number 4 could have more of a contrast to it? 
    Will try exploring a lot between 4 and 6. I think they're both quite good to follow up with. I think it's because my concept lacks detail so they could both do with a lot more work. If I had more details, I think I would have more places to create the contrast and really bring out the palettes .  :s However, 2D concepting isn't my expertise. I will work on it though! Thanks Elithenia.

i like 6, the colors matching with the theme pearls. also it will look good with golden accessories :) 
    Hahaha, I think 6 is really popular here! So I'll try to further push it. Thanks for your feed back 
  • kkyeri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kkyeri null
    Since 2D art isn't my strong point, I've figured I could explore the detailing with my sculpting (when I get to it). However, I've firstly created my own Nami base to start with! I hope everyone can tell me what they think along the way! Also, I want to further explore the colours with a polypaint test when I get a better Idea of the details in the concept. As you can see below I've already tweaked the concept a bit.  :p