Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Biker Girl

PakoTCB
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
PakoTCB polycounter lvl 3
Now that the power is back after the hurricane I started doing the block out for a character I want to make for my portfolio. A woman using a cafe racer style motorcycle inspired by the motorcycle daredevil from the 70s Debbie Lawler. Not trying to replicate her/ do a likeness but I wanted to add context to her character as to who she aspires to be and why she likes building her own motorcycle. Not much to show on this block out but I want to keep a thread to update the progress. Many of the muscles aren't overlapping like in the legs which I will correct as well as her arms and overall shape. 

Most recent update:

First image:

Replies

• PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also planned out the clothing I plan on doing as well as the bike. A suzuki GP 100 as I have seen many people replace and modify the handle bars, head light and seat to make it more cafe racer style. 

• PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Small Wip on the body
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hey man, the research for the clothing is a good thing, you should probably do the same for the kind of body you want to go for too.
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right, thanks! I will keep on researching and updating. (I apologize but I am not sure if nude female models are sfw)
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • aanselmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aanselmo polycounter lvl 2
    Hey, doing a good job so far, I am learning anatomy too but I think you need to tweak some parts on the body.

• The muscles on the abdominal part are too off, if she have a fit body they should be more inside
    • The breasts are good but normally the woman have the breast lower than the man so the nipples are lower than the second head measure
    • the pelvis of the woman is way more diagonal than the man, you need to rotate a bit that zone, making the butt go up
    • the clavicle is a bit more in a V shape on the front and the scapula more separated
    • at last the 2 points on the back ( PSIS) is way lower, is where the gluteos, the external oblique and the latissimus dorsi/erecto spinae meet.

This is all from what I learned so some parts I have said could me slightly incorrect ( hope not xD) 
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique! I really appreciate it and will see to make those tweaks.
    I do not wish to make her too muscular, more along the lines of this reference. 

• PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have not updated this thread in about a week or so because I was busy doing other smaller projects. I was going through passes on the anatomy as well as the face, hair and clothes. Right now I was focusing on blocking out the hair and clothing. 
    I have been reading Burne Hogath's book on Dynamic Wrinkle and Drapery because wrinkles in general have always confused me on how they should look like in order to be convincing. 

• ashraful mobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ashraful mobin polycounter lvl 10
    looking good! the progress is really nice :)
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good! the progress is really nice :)
    Thank you! Hoping to start getting the ball rolling and start doing more with her. 
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going over the pants and boots
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the outfit and redid a lot of her look. 
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    I think the new hair is working a lot better for her, @PakoTCB! Looking back at your references I can see where your clothing inspiration came from, but between the helmet and the fluffy lapel of the jacket, her outfit is reading more like an aviator pilot instead of a biker to me. I know you're going for the 70s feel but it might still help to find some alternative jacket or jumpsuit options (if not a change in the helmet). 

That all being said the gear is looking great, so I completely understand if you don't want to change anything up. Having a motorcycle with her will help a ton as well, so I hope you don't mind my 2 cents on the outfit. Keep up the awesome work and I'm looking forward to see how the character continues to improve!
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the new hair is working a lot better for her, @PakoTCB! Looking back at your references I can see where your clothing inspiration came from, but between the helmet and the fluffy lapel of the jacket, her outfit is reading more like an aviator pilot instead of a biker to me. I know you're going for the 70s feel but it might still help to find some alternative jacket or jumpsuit options (if not a change in the helmet). 

That all being said the gear is looking great, so I completely understand if you don't want to change anything up. Having a motorcycle with her will help a ton as well, so I hope you don't mind my 2 cents on the outfit. Keep up the awesome work and I'm looking forward to see how the character continues to improve!
    I appreciate your criticism of the clothing. I have been debating between with myself and some of my friends on her outfit. I wasn't happy with her old outfit and wanted to give her more personality. I can see now that it reads more as aviator pilot with the combination of the helmet and jacket so I might change one of the two or see how it all fits together with the motorcycle. I am thinking that the helmet would be easier to change so I'd have to look at more models that would fit with her outfit.
    Thanks for the reply, it means a lot. 
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    very cool! I like her a lot
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started doing retopology on her and wanted to know a way to reduce it or conserve more geometry. The zippers and shoelaces are my biggest concern, I feel like I can do those through baking and normal maps but I am unsure if it'll work. I have been looking at other games like the last of us and uncharted but would love any suggestions. 

• PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some test bakes to see if the high poly detail actually projected onto the low poly with the normal maps and ambient occlusion. I think the details project pretty good. I haven't fleshed out the UVs and I think some areas of the topology will still need to be tweaked but overall I am surprised with the fast bakes. 
  • Koromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koromo polycounter lvl 4
    PakoTCB said:
    I started doing retopology on her and wanted to know a way to reduce it or conserve more geometry. The zippers and shoelaces are my biggest concern, I feel like I can do those through baking and normal maps but I am unsure if it'll work. I have been looking at other games like the last of us and uncharted but would love any suggestions. 
    You can  use them as a floaters! Simply keep them as a HP separated mesh/polygroup (if you´re in zbrush) and use the lowpoly retopologized as a base to project this as a normal map!

Remember to use a slightly bigger cage if you´re baking with XNormal or increasing the Offset value in Toolbag as a baker until you cover the zippers and shoelaces.

Good bakes! Keep working!

As an example of my own, baked laces as a floaters with normal+Ao map:

HP laces used as a floater for the bakes:

• PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koromo said:
    PakoTCB said:
    You can  use them as a floaters! Simply keep them as a HP separated mesh/polygroup (if you´re in zbrush) and use the lowpoly retopologized as a base to project this as a normal map!

Remember to use a slightly bigger cage if you´re baking with XNormal or increasing the Offset value in Toolbag as a baker until you cover the zippers and shoelaces.

Good bakes! Keep working!

As an example of my own, baked laces as a floaters with normal+Ao map:

HP laces used as a floater for the bakes:

Alright, thanks! That will definitely help with conserving the triangle count. 
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Worked on the Retopology, haven't had the chance to work on this project as much as I want to but I want to bake the normal and AO maps. The polycount is at 78k, I gave myself a the limit of maximum 100k but I will see if I can reduce it in some areas. The hair cards that I'll be adding will also add a significant amount which I am being conscious of. I also want to see if I can start a block out of the motorcycle itself. 
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I think you can reduce a lot in the boots, they are quite dense.
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alemja
    Thanks for the suggestion! You're right they are quite dense. I reduced it from 3k tris to 2k. I still think I can make it lower but there are areas where I want to keep the silhouette. 
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked on the baking of the Normal and AO Map. The whole character is in one texture map excluding the hair that I will add for the hairstyle and eyebrows. I was checking if it still retained some the high poly detail and for the most part, offsetting areas and correcting in Photoshop gave me the best result. I did however wonder if I should stick to one 2k map or 4k. The difference I see is pretty minor, mainly around closer areas is it really noticeable, I like how it looks in 4k but I don't know if that might be too much for the character.

• PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Placed the haircards and been working on the placement of them. Next step is hopefully finally creating the motorcycle.

• PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've finally had to time to work on the motorcycle. I want to be able to retopologize and texture it in substance.

• Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    The work on the motorcycle looks reaaally clean :D  can you show some wireframe of that?
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova said:
    The work on the motorcycle looks reaaally clean :D  can you show some wireframe of that?
    Right now it is still in zbrush with a lot of parts dynameshed and zremeshed, I will be retopologizing the bake in order to texture it in Substance.

• PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've finally been able to move forward with the retopology. I didn't want to go overboard but I was also pretty liberal in some areas. I want to be able to UV and maybe cut down on some areas to get to texturing.
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to know if anyone could shine a light on my current predicament. Right now I feel like the motorcycle is pretty high in polycount even with the retopology. There are some specific areas I can see reducing such as the engine and front wheel loops and also removing the small screws and adding them with normal maps but even when removing those I still have it at around 200k. Is that too high and should I focus on reducing chunks of the bike or should I leave it as is. I've been planning on texturing it and presenting it in marmoset toolbag and maybe unreal engine if I can wrap my head around many of the differences in the interface.
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Finally UVed the Motorcycle and got it into Substance Painter for texturing. I plan on doing this to the girl since I also did the UVs for her. I was able to reduce the tri count slighty now with 192, 351. 
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Got the clothing into Substance Painter, I am only missing the refined face and hair but I can start texturing the clothing and motorcycle. 
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    This is really clean work! Great job so far
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Great job so far indeed, looking forward to see more!
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I've been working on texturing the skin and applying it into Marmoset. I can still go back and make tweaks. I want to give a placement of the haircards since I have created the textures for them. 

• PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PakoTCB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JustinT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinT polycounter lvl 2
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    The bike is lovely. It's got a really nice, worn feel. The biker woman is attractive, without being overly pneumatic. 
  • Aydhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    really great stuff, especially face details are great. I love how you made her in late 30s, completely different to what we're used to usually seeing.
  • Jade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jade polycounter lvl 6