Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] My first ever character

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
turokpooria triangle
Hi guys, 
It is my first ever character I have working on I used Zbrush and Marvelous Designer.
About 4 months ago I left my MS project in uni to become a 3D artist and I am ready to improve my self in any cases, so please tell me your idea and critiques of my character. thanks all.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looking good! Here's some critiques;

- The shirt seems far too tight against his butt. The shirt just looks uncomfortable.
    - I'd spend a good amount of time on the boots. The laces look cool, but the rest of the boots look very flat.
  • turokpooria
    Offline / Send Message
    turokpooria triangle
    Looking good! Here's some critiques;

- The shirt seems far too tight against his butt. The shirt just looks uncomfortable.
    - I'd spend a good amount of time on the boots. The laces look cool, but the rest of the boots look very flat.

Thank you for your notice, I really appreciate it (:
    I will fix it.  ;)
  • Markmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    are you kidding?
    quote "Looking good!"
    I advise to look tutorials before trying to do something.
    do you have a reference?
    Perfect the shoes. 
    Perfect the armor.
    Perfect the anatomy.
    Perfect the sword.
  • turokpooria
    Offline / Send Message
    turokpooria triangle
    Markmars said:
    are you kidding?
    quote "Looking good!"
    I advise to look tutorials before trying to do something.
    do you have a reference?
    Perfect the shoes. 
    Perfect the armor.
    Perfect the anatomy.
    Perfect the sword.
    I actually watched tuts.
    It is not a concept art but I gathered reference pieces for every part.
    About the anatomy, what is wrong with the whole body? I really followed the body structure and I cant understand the problem, I would be appreciated if you tell me what is wrong. (by the way, hands are not complete).
    Thank you for comment. (:
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    nice work for your first character.
    I'm sure you've noticed but your anatomy needs work. if you're using reference of suggest putting your image side by side with it and really analyzing what went wrong with yours. 
    also you have a lot of detailsnbut no form underneath causing your mesh to look muddy.  focus on making this joker look good from afar first. i wouldn't even bother with clothes until that's figured out
  • dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    @turokpooria I think you're definitely on the right track and this is looking great for your first character!

It could be nice to see some of the reference you gathered for the armor so we can see some close ups and pieces that could be improved. Maybe you can also have some shots that show the armor close up and from other angles (especially any pieces that you're feeling could use some work).

When it comes to anatomy I don't think anyone can learn how to sculpt a perfect body in a day. The more you work at it the more you'll pick up on subtle things in the proportions and the musculature (I'm constantly learning new things about anatomy and trying to improve on it as well). With polycount having this forum for critiques, it's always great to post work that you're trying to improve (or looking for help / suggestions). There are some incredible artists on here that have a really strong grasp on anatomy that can probably help you push it further when you need it.

Sometimes you might find that you're not getting a lot of feedback, but don't let that get you down (a lot of people are simply busy and don't have much free time to put towards critiques). Keep posting so you can keep yourself accountable of your work (and also to see your own improvement). If you have updates then show them off (maybe not every day, but as regularly as you can). Sooner or later you'll receive some really helpful advice with how you can really pump things up and improve things and it'll make all the difference. 

Right now I think the neck might need to be a little wider at the top (around the jaw area) and be more of a cylinder than a cone (right now the lower part of the neck is kind of splaying out more than it should). It's a little hard to tell but the eyes might be a little close together (but it would be great to see a close up). Once you finish the hands it'd be nice to see some close-ups at different angles there, too. The pants are a little symmetrical right now and could use a little variation (the folds stand out at the back of the knees right now). Do you have any reference for the face? Are you basing the appearance on anyone? Keep pushing forward with it and I hope you can continue improving on the character. Good luck!
  • Markmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    what's wrong?
    for example
    1.Check the proportions.
    2 The body must be under clothing.
    3 The fabric should be on the body.
    4 I said
    (armor, boots, etc.)
    Good luck!
  • turokpooria
    Offline / Send Message
    turokpooria triangle
    Thanks guys for your notice, I really didn't get the problems before I share it here, now I have a vision.
    about the references and other pictures please look at below:
    1. Armor

2. The face

Thanks all for helping me.
  • turokpooria
    Offline / Send Message
    turokpooria triangle
    Markmars said:
    what's wrong?
    for example
    1.Check the proportions.
    2 The body must be under clothing.
    3 The fabric should be on the body.
    4 I said
    (armor, boots, etc.)
    Good luck!
    Thanks, I really didn't realize that one.
  • Markmars
  • turokpooria
    Offline / Send Message
    turokpooria triangle
    dGreenberg
    I really appreciate for the detailed description.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth

Not sure if youre still working onthis. But this really helped me get better with heads. (looks like youre focusing on that now). 

Yours right now, doesnt looks like it has a underlying structure, and that it has had details simply placed on to it. Also, I would certainly take measurements of the face, so you can figure out for yourself where your proportions are out of wack. 

Keep up the work , dont stop!
  • turokpooria
    Offline / Send Message
    turokpooria triangle

Not sure if youre still working onthis. But this really helped me get better with heads. (looks like youre focusing on that now). 

Yours right now, doesnt looks like it has a underlying structure, and that it has had details simply placed on to it. Also, I would certainly take measurements of the face, so you can figure out for yourself where your proportions are out of wack. 

Keep up the work , dont stop!
    I really thank you, yeah by now I am studying more to remodel it to be better, and yeah I am working on the head and appreciated for what you sent to me. (:
  • turokpooria
    Offline / Send Message
    turokpooria triangle
    dGreenberg
    I really appriciated for detailed passage.  :)
  • turokpooria
    Offline / Send Message
    turokpooria triangle
    dGreenberg
    I really appriciated for detailed passage.  :)