Home Technical Talk

UV unwrap a low poly rectangular box?

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: UV Unwrapping Best Practice Factors & Priorities.

Replies

• franman
    Offline / Send Message
    franman polycounter lvl 13
    While this thread is good for best practices in UV unwrapping in a general sense I am interested on how to apply these best practices in specific scenarios.

What I'll do is provide my methods of applying UV unwrapping practices and at any moment if you see parts of what I do that isn't really good or up to best practices please enlighten me.

For my situation, I'm using 3Ds Max to UV unwrap a low poly rectangular box to have the normal map baked onto it by its high poly variant.  Here's my way of UV mapping my rectangular box:
    1. Add and UV Unwrap modifier.
    2. Select all my geometry.
    3. Under "Configure" I disabled "Normalized Map"; so that the rectangular faces don't get compressed in the UV boundary.
    4. Under "Projection" I selected box map and chose to align on the z axis.
    5. I opened UV Editor, with all the faces selected under "Arrange Elements" I enabled Rescale and disabled Rotate then clicked on Pack:Custom to fit all faces within the UV boundary.  Also the padding is left at the default of 0.02.
    6. With the faces packed and evenly distributed proportionally I then align them to the way I like.
    7. I did not stitch the faces with the corresponding edges together because when I bake my normal map onto it, artifacts are likely to occur.
    What are your thoughts on my methods for UV mapping a simple rectangular box?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Too many steps imho. Faster:
    1. Add an Unwrap modifier.
    2. Edit mode
    3. Polygon mode
    4. Flatten mapping.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    @franman
    Before adding my thoughts, just out of curiosity is there an explicit reasoning behind your chosen methodology?
  • franman
    Offline / Send Message
    franman polycounter lvl 13
    sacboi said:
    @franman
    Before adding my thoughts, just out of curiosity is there an explicit reasoning behind your chosen methodology?
    @sacboi, I did explain my reasoning on steps 3, 5, and 7; is there anything else you want me to elaborate on?

Anyways @Eric Chadwick thanx will check out.