Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Master Thread

Replies

• teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    Hello all, in 2017.1.0 MatFx HBAO isn't working for me, but I remember I tried it before and it worked. Can anybody confirm it? Thanks.
  • YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
    When i want to UV Scale something, Painter not only scales the Texture / Fill but also the outlines of my UV Map, so i see dozens of repeats of my UV not just the texture used. I guess it multiplies the Tiling yet also multiplies the input Maps (AO and Curvature).
    I think what you're looking for is the transform filter.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Hello there. I need some help. Sorry for my potato english but I have some deepshit problem with normal map in SP. It is absolutely clear and nice in blender/marmoset3/unity, but not in sp.  There r very weird artifacts or some kind of uv distortion. Baked with xnormal. Check screenshot. Thx.

In which version do you have this issue ? It's something we fixed recently normally.

teho said:
    Hello all, in 2017.1.0 MatFx HBAO isn't working for me, but I remember I tried it before and it worked. Can anybody confirm it? Thanks.
    Does it work in 2017.2 ?
  • Łukasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Łukasz greentooth
    hi,
    If I worked with pbr shader and created metal/roughness textures is it possible to convert them to spec/golss for cry engine?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, simply use the SpecGloss from MEtalRoughness export preset.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    Hi,
    How does one set the background of the exported textures to be pure black?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Hi,
    How does one set the background of the exported textures to be pure black?
    If you have alpha in your exported textures and want to change the default matting color, the only way is to put a fill layer at the bottom of your layer stack currently. That will get rid of the alpha however.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Froyok, I give that a try when I get home
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just tried it with Painter 2.6.1, put a black fill at the bottom of the stack. Still getting grey background? maybe Im doing something wrong?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    How is your export preste setup then ?
    What are your padding settings in the export window ?
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Froyok, A coworker helped me out with the settings.I have to have the padding setting to Dilation+Diffusion for it to work. Before I was using Dilation+defaultbackground. 

Just a suggesting/feature request:
    padding settings to include Dialation+black background
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Can someone please explain the 'Quality' setting under the pbr-metal-rough shader? To my naked eye it seems to mostly make things more/less shiny, which threw me off as I discovered the setting only after finishing a model with it set at the default low and realizing Toolbag's renderer much more closely matches the shinier look with the high/ultra settings?

Apologies if there's a manual entry covering this, I couldn't find one.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    This setting changes the amount of samples we use for lighting the object. A low quality setting will give you better viewport performance but result in lower quality roughness variations. It does not affect the textures, just the vizualisation in the viewport.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    I just updated to 2017.3.0 and have a project with two material groups. (ex: phong1 and phong2). When I make a brush stroke on phong1, objects w/ phong2 are hidden, then return once the stroke is finished. Is this expected behavior? Is there a setting I'm missing to keep all objects visible when painting? 
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @jStins under setting you can turn off the "Only display the selected material while painting", it's been there since earlier version maybe just different default value.

Guys, I'm noticing a weird bug with SP 2017.3.0 whenever I bake with cage that I have no problem with before (even tested with a perfectly baked mesh on previous version, with 2017.3.0 it messed up).

Here is the log file that always popup after the render;
    <div><span style="background-color: transparent; color: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif;">[Scene 3D] 3D scene successfully loaded
    </span><span style="background-color: transparent; color: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif;">[Scene 3D] [FBX] : Mesh tangents are invalid (some values are null) and will be recomputed
    </span><span style="background-color: transparent; color: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif;">[Scene 3D] [FBX] : Mesh bitangents are invalid (some values are null) and will be recomputed
    </span><span style="background-color: transparent; color: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif;">[Scene 3D] [FBX] : Mesh tangents are invalid (some values are null) and will be recomputed
    </span><span style="background-color: transparent; color: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif;">[Scene 3D] [FBX] : Mesh bitangents are invalid (some values are null) and will be recomputed
    </span><span style="background-color: transparent; color: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif;">[Scene 3D] Failed to compute tangents; need UV data in channel0
    </span><span style="background-color: transparent; color: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif;">[Scene 3D] Skipping one or more lines with the same contents
    </span><span style="background-color: transparent; color: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif;">[Scene 3D] 3D scene successfully loaded</span></div>

It doesn't mentioned what mesh in question got problem and I do have proper UV layout on all the lowpoly mesh.
    Have no idea what it means, and certainly never saw before. And the resulting bake was horrible :(
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    jStins said:
    I just updated to 2017.3.0 and have a project with two material groups. (ex: phong1 and phong2). When I make a brush stroke on phong1, objects w/ phong2 are hidden, then return once the stroke is finished. Is this expected behavior? Is there a setting I'm missing to keep all objects visible when painting? 
    Yes, that's the expected behavior. We hide other texture sets to improve performances. You can tweak this behavior in the main preferences.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Revel said:
    @jStins under setting you can turn off the "Only display the selected material while painting", it's been there since earlier version maybe just different default value.

Guys, I'm noticing a weird bug with SP 2017.3.0 whenever I bake with cage that I have no problem with before (even tested with a perfectly baked mesh on previous version, with 2017.3.0 it messed up).

Here is the log file that always popup after the render;
    <div>[Scene 3D] 3D scene successfully loaded
    [Scene 3D] [FBX] : Mesh tangents are invalid (some values are null) and will be recomputed
    [Scene 3D] [FBX] : Mesh bitangents are invalid (some values are null) and will be recomputed
    [Scene 3D] [FBX] : Mesh tangents are invalid (some values are null) and will be recomputed
    [Scene 3D] [FBX] : Mesh bitangents are invalid (some values are null) and will be recomputed
    [Scene 3D] Failed to compute tangents; need UV data in channel0
    [Scene 3D] Skipping one or more lines with the same contents
    [Scene 3D] 3D scene successfully loaded</div>

It doesn't mentioned what mesh in question got problem and I do have proper UV layout on all the lowpoly mesh.
    Have no idea what it means, and certainly never saw before. And the resulting bake was horrible :(

The error appears when we load a mesh as a high-poly and look for UVs. It's a little regression in our latest update. UVs are not mandatory, we will get rid of the error message in the next hotfix. That shouldn't block you from baking however.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Froyok said:
    That shouldn't block you from baking however.
    But it failed to re-bake the same file I worked on pre 2017.3.0 version. Same file, same setting, same high, low, cage mesh, just pressed bake button it give a different bake result.

*ignore the diamond pattern on the grip as it was added manually, not from highpoly bakes..this is just an example from SP2, SP2017.2.0 and earlier version give the same good result..but not so much for SP2017.3.0.. :(

It somehow looks like using a different UV layout to bake the texture...but when I view on 2D view it's the same layout...
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    There is an issue with cages in 2017.3, a fix should be available tomorrow.
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys. I just noticed that Substance Painter disappeared from some local Steam stores. For example Ukraine and Poland cant buy it anymore. See here:
    https://steamdb.info/app/454510/

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Substance Painter 2 has just been replaced by Substance Painter 2018 on Steam, and this new version should have prices for these countries.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Wha? Substane Painter 2018 on Steam? Aren't we only gonna get SP 2017.4 tomorrow? :open_mouth:
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The '2018' name on Steam is purely cosmetic to diferentiate it from previous versions and it will be called 2018 all along the coming year. It still is the same version as the standalone builds.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hey Jerc, I'm having a problem where I've created a custom shelf on my hard drive with some textures in it, some of the textures have been incorrectly identified by painter as alphas, but I would like them to show up in the texture filter.

They are not placed in the alpha folder, and will not show up in searches unless I use the select paths filter, everything else I've put in custom folders is working fine. It's like there is some stuck meta data on these textures that I can't make substance painter forget. How can I reset or manually assign these textures as textures, they're not imported into the project so I don't see any options to tag them, they are just sitting in my custom shelf folder.

I should mention they are in a folder called "masks," does painter perhaps automatically assign things in a masks folder as alphas?

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Hey malcolm, Did you import these textures through the UI or did you just copy them in the shelf folder in Windows?
    There is a specific folder for alphas when creating a custom shelf so anything in the textures folder should automatically be tagged as texture unless told otherwise duing import through the UI where you can choose the type of asset.

Could you try deleting everything in that masks folder and reimport all your maps through a drag and drop in the shelf in SP?
    Make sure to select all the textures in the import dialog and set their type to texture and their path to /masks

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc, I gave that a try and it failed. The images would not save to the shelf and give the following errors. Are you sure someone there hasn't hard coded the word masks somewhere in there? This sure feels like someone doesn't want me to use a folder named masks.

[ResourceImage] Failed to save image.
    file:///C:/malcolm_data/art/ref_textures/substance_painter/textures/C:/malcolm_data/art/ref_textures/substance_painter/textures/masks/circles.png
    file:///C:/malcolm_data/art/ref_textures/substance_painter/textures/C:/malcolm_data/art/ref_textures/substance_painter/textures/masks/noise_01a_d.png
    file:///C:/malcolm_data/art/ref_textures/substance_painter/textures/C:/malcolm_data/art/ref_textures/substance_painter/textures/masks/noise_01a_n.png
    file:///C:/malcolm_data/art/ref_textures/substance_painter/textures/C:/malcolm_data/art/ref_textures/substance_painter/textures/masks/scratches_fine_01a_d.png
    file:///C:/malcolm_data/art/ref_textures/substance_painter/textures/C:/malcolm_data/art/ref_textures/substance_painter/textures/masks/scratches_fine_01a_n.png
    file:///C:/malcolm_data/art/ref_textures/substance_painter/textures/C:/malcolm_data/art/ref_textures/substance_painter/textures/masks/scuffs_fine_01a_d.png
    file:///C:/malcolm_data/art/ref_textures/substance_painter/textures/C:/malcolm_data/art/ref_textures/substance_painter/textures/masks/scuffs_fine_01a_n.png

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have another question, is it possible to draw a heightmap and then use an anchor point to get edge wear from the curvature map of that height map? I've been trying for 2 hours and can't figure this out. Trying to high light the edges of this heightmap, but can't figure out how.

Trying to get a scratched edge material on the edges of this height procedural layer.

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Should be, you just need a filter that converts height -> curvature (in simple cases a highpass + levels might work, otherwise you might need to make a height->curv filter in designer or find one on share). Then you drive that filter with the anchor of your heightmap.

edit: like this: https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries/1994

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is exactly what I want. The video has no audio so I have no idea what the person is doing, so I apply the anchor to my heightmap layer, then add a fill layer above that, then add a smart mask to the fill layer and select my anchor? Is that the process or did I miss something? What layer do I put the filter on?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    This video should give you a good overview of the method to use painted heightnormal to drive a generator:(please note that we haven't updated the smart masks with the new mask generators so they don't have the micro heght  / micro normal option).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9mLZQKxPSo

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Ah right, micro height, that makes it simpler
    malcolm said:
    That is exactly what I want. The video has no audio so I have no idea what the person is doing, so I apply the anchor to my heightmap layer, then add a fill layer above that, then add a smart mask to the fill layer and select my anchor? Is that the process or did I miss something? What layer do I put the filter on?
    All you need is a way to take your height information, and turn that into a curvature information for masking purposes. You can do that as I show above, or you can use the standard masks (MG Mask Editor) micro inputs like in the video linked above. That shows micro normals but it does the exact same thing for height:

So step by step:
    1) Create an anchor point on the layer that has your height info (in this example it's a fill layer with a mask)
    2) In your new material's mask, add a mask with micro-height input (MG Mask Editor here)
    3) Add your anchor point to the Micro Height input and turn on Micro Height details

also if you have multiple layers contributing to height, you can create a layer with its height blending mode set to passthrough to capture them all, and create the anchor there.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool thank you guys, this is working for me now I was able to mask my layer with mask editor and the anchor. It would be very handy if the smart masks could be updated to support this feature since I had never used the mask editor before today.

• kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    smart masks are just presets of the maskbuilder settings, you can always dive in there and tweak it - I do it all the time.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc, hey where can I find the substance live link plugin for Unreal, Wes mentions in the video I need to download it from the Unreal store, but I can't find it. I searched Substance on Unreal and all I got was this unrelated plugin which looks old.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_E1kBP9S8&amp;list=PLB0wXHrWAmCyvb0TsSFb3UunisJHcGcuq

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Someone linked on the Marketplace to Allegorithmic forum, probably Epic haven't published the updated content of something.
    Haven't tested it myself though..but he did mentioned that it adds support for the Live Link.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind! It appears it is the old plugin, but you must update to the Unreal 4.18 or the plugin does not show up like in Wes' video. I was on 4.17 hence my confusion.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tip, for those trying to use the dcc live link and watched Wes's video showing how to use it, he forgot to mention that you have to create dummy materials inside of Unreal with the exact same name as your painter file or the live link will fail.

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, is there a way to create a layer at the top of the stack that will allow me to adjust roughness of all below layers. Everything below is looking good, but I just want to push the contrast of the roughness a bit now that I see it in Unreal and don't want to hand edit 50 layers across two materials.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hey @malcolm yeah you can, all you have to do is just add a paint layer on top of everything > set the roughness to passthrough > add a level to that layer and change the affected channel dropdown to roughness and edit that to you liking!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel, that is perfect thank you. Would have never found that on my own.
  • ashu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ashu polycounter lvl 6
    how to use substance designer  texture to substance painter??
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    ashu said:
    how to use substance designer  texture to substance painter??
    Either export them as bitmap or export an sbsar. You should look into our tutorials and documentation as this a very basic operation.
  • GreyJke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GreyJke polycounter lvl 2
    Hello all, how to get smooth edges on this kind of stuff?

I create "tool" in Substance designer for making stamps with Height like this default "Screw Bolt" tool. And it has same problem with jagged edges. In SD everything looks perfect with 2k resolution and 32 bpc, but when i bring it to SP it looks like this, even with Height set to L32F and 4K resolution.... when i was typing this post i tried to apply blur and it kind of worked... what else except blur will reduce jagged edges?
  • myclay
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    Hello GreyJke

use a Levels effect which affects the Height channel and clip the output minimum slider.
    The blur filter for additional bluring/widening and Warp for little inaccuracies can give it a nicer look.

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hey guys! Not sure where to post a feature request so I hope the dev read my post here :smile:

Just a minor thing, can we have an option to *force name* an auto save file to be autosave_01, autosave_02, etc instead of [assetname]_autosave_01, [assetname]_autosave_02, etc?

So with this option, Painter won't filled up the autosave folder with bunch of file's autosave from each of project we're working on which can lead to a massive folder size if didn't do a cleanup regularly. Let's say I have 5 versions of autosave setup, and been working on 6 assets recently, that will result in a 30 autosave project files inside that folder :open_mouth:

With the force rename atleast we can make sure that we only have 5 cycling files that get overwritten each time, still reasonable folder size in total. I personally don't see a point to have autosave for each project, cus for me autosave served as a way to constantly backup file that we're currently working on at that time, in case program crashed or something bad happen, we still have a backup from few minutes earlier, similar to how 3ds max autobackup works or ZBrush Quicksave for example, we set the exact number of files to be stored on the autosave folder instead of per project basis.

To me currently it feels like a version control feature instead of autosave.
    Just my opinion though :wink: 
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    How does the text tool now work since the new UI? I used to just drag one of the text alphas into the brush alpha and edit the text... there now isn't a text box below the alpha? Is there some documentation on this? I can't find it on the site. Cheers.

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The text field is still in the same spot, right under the slot where you drag and drop your alpha in the Paint Properties.
  • LoganTMT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoganTMT triangle
    Okay, What do you guys think? I'm trying to get this closer to being a Sand Casting.

• Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Jerc said:
    The text field is still in the same spot, right under the slot where you drag and drop your alpha in the Paint Properties.
    Zomg, I'm such a dolt. I was using a text alpha and not a font alpha. Thank you.
  • AlirezaMorgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlirezaMorgan polycounter lvl 6
    hey guys i have an odd problem
    i baked my model and the normal maps seems fine but the problem is with the curavture map . it has a lot of wierd lines on it
    has anyone encountered the same problem ?