Home Technical Talk

Wrist is starting to hurt pretty bad, need a new (ergonomic) mouse

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
JorisArt greentooth
PLEASE POST THE MOUSE YOU ARE USING (if any)! I am curious to see what fellow polycounters are using.

Hi,

I have been doing a pretty big volume of 3d work for the past few weeks, and I am noticing more and more discomfort in my right wrist. I never really cared about ergonomics before, I simply wanted to do 3d and I wasn't really thinking about health issues that would inevitably arise in the future.

A few years ago I bought the Zowie FK1 because it was recommended right here on Polycount as a good mouse for doing 3d. It's a decent mouse, has two buttons on the side that I can't really do without now, but the scrollwheel is waaaay too hard to press down.

I want to use the palm grip to make sure I put the least amount of strain on my muscles, but I have to curl my middlefinger to press the mousewheel (automatically curlng the other fingers as well, causing me to simply switch to a claw grip), as I need to use the tip of my finger to be able to apply enough pressure to press the one button I happen to use all the time. I read there are also mice with a seperate button for the scrollwheel press, anyone got experience with that?

The reason for creating this thread is because I haven't found anything that seems to be the perfect fit.

The specs I am looking for:
-scollwheel that is incredibly easy to press (like seriously easy)
-vertical design, seems to be very beneficial for the wrist
-not too small, big enough to apply palm grip
-forward and backward buttons to easily navigate folders, browse internet etc.
-fast acceleration (I have to move across 3 monitors), but also able to be very precise when moving short distances

Also interested in but not necessary:
-lots of macro buttons on the side (results in less mouse movement so it should be better for the wrist, also as a bonus productivity should increase as you get a lot faster)

Only mouse I have found so far that seems to be pretty good is the Evoluent VerticalMouse 4, but I don't know if there might be something better out there.

Is there anyone with the same requirements when it comes to a good mouse for work and has found the perfect fit? Not ever do product descriptions specify how easy a scrollwheel is to press, so I'm hoping one of you can tell me from experience.

Replies

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    I'm using the Evoluent Vertical Mouse 3 and it fixed my wrist issues within 20 mins of using it. I can't recommend it enough. According to Amazon reviews, it's better than the vertical mouse 4.

Has 5 programmable buttons, scroll wheel that is nice to use, etc.
    Image result for evoluent vertical mouse 3
  • JorisArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JorisArt greentooth
    I'm using the Evoluent Vertical Mouse 3 and it fixed my wrist issues within 20 mins of using it. I can't recommend it enough. According to Amazon reviews, it's better than the vertical mouse 4.
    Thank you! I will look into it more.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Cheaper alternatives include the Anker Ergo series of mouse.  
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i use this "Speedlink Descano"

picked it up on a whim when my old logitech POS kissed the wall (don't ask...) since it felt the nicest on display in the store. it has some kind of coating that feels good to the touch and there's no issue with 'palm grease'.
    did never use a vertical mouse before but switching was no problem.

the upside it has is that there's a little button to choose a DPI setting to suit your tastes.
    it just uses the windows mouse driver so in order to map all the buttons i installed a freeware called "x-mouse" https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/xmousebuttoncontrol.htm

has worked well for me for two years now. i recently bought a backup one in case they stop making them at some point. oh and i never press the scrollwheel- my mouse button number three is on the thumb. much better!

it has to be said however that a different mouse will not magically heal you. you'll have to take up some exercising for your hand to improve it's condition.

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Yes if your wrist hurts do not neglect to take breaks. Be sure to ice it to help carpal tunnel symptoms, do wrist stretches get a stress ball to build a bit of strength and try some strength training in general. An ergonomic mouse will help but care and maintenance is important too because this sort of problem keeps on showing up more frequently over time.
  • Serapth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serapth polycounter lvl 6
    As per mice, I swear by Logitech MX series.  Every time I've tried something different (especially Razer) I've run into horrific quality issues.

In regards to carpal tunnel, as someone who suffers myself, I have to say hands-down (pun not intended) the best answer is stretching.  I have virtually no pain after starting two simple exercises I do periodically through the day.

First simply push all 4 fingers against the ball of your other hand until you feel pressure on your lower wrist, hold until uncomfortable.  Repeat for other hand.  Next position your arm like you were going to do a curl with the palm of your hand 180 degrees parallel to your face.  Now with your arm location fixed, rotate your wrist so your fingers are 90 degree to your shoulders, hold as long as possible.  These two simple exercises made a huge difference for me.  

• mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    I've had quite a few vertical mice.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the anker ones, I found that my wrist was still too tilted, and so I still got pain. Personally the highlights are the Evoluent and the Delux M618, the evoluent wins points because it has a dedicated middle click button, but imo the m618 is slightly more comfortable.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Get a medical wrist support with a metal splint.

any days your wrist is bad throw it on, you cant use a stylus really but you can fully use a mouse doesn't take much to get used to and it will stop you causing yourself long term damage.

its well worth consulting a doctor too if you can, this isn;t just an optimization issue but a potential medical one.
  • TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    I started having similar wrist pains a last year. This might sound funny, but what I did was I trained my left hand to use the mouse while 3D modeling so that I can switch hands when my right hand is tired. 

Anyway, I use this Anker Vertical Mouse for my right hand:
    https://www.anker.com/products/variant/Ergonomic-Wireless-Vertical-Mouse/A7809012

It's decent and significantly reduced the frequency of my wrist pains. 
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    I'd love to try vertical mouses, but I just can't do without switching away from my Logitech G600 and losing 12 macro buttons at the reach of my thumb. I'm waiting for one that has at least half that number of buttons...
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Keep in mind that this also all depends on which software you are using. The default Max navigation is awful for the wrists. Maya-style navigation is better. Blender's off-hand manipulators (= no need to precisely grab handles) combined with Maya-style navigation is by far the best. This + a solid MX style mouse = pain free.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Get a medical wrist support with a metal splint.
    These can help, but should only be used as a temporary solution. What can happen if you use them too long is that your body gets used to not supporting itself and not using the muscles because the splint takes care of it, weakening your wrists over time. It's similar to having to build some strength and mobility back after having your wrist in a cast.
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7

Has 5 programmable buttons, scroll wheel that is nice to use, etc.
    Image result for evoluent vertical mouse 3

Ive got this mouse, but unfortunately mine started to have a disconnection issue after 45ish days of usage ;\

It IS comfortable though. The newer versions have an easy adjustable mouse speed. Its recommended to adjust this to the point where you HAVE To move your arm. Don't use your wrist for any motions if you're using this mouse, otherwise it defeats the purpose.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I've been using my wacom tablet for literally everything the last 6+ years. No longer get wrist pains or finger pains like I did when I used my mouse. Takes a bit to get used to modeling with a wacom but once you get used to it there is no going back.

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Autocon said:
    I've been using my wacom tablet for literally everything the last 6+ years. No longer get wrist pains or finger pains like I did when I used my mouse. Takes a bit to get used to modeling with a wacom but once you get used to it there is no going back.

Yes Wacom right hand, mouse left. Mouse is still handy for some operations. Sitting stressed behind the comp is a real killer. I dont know how to combat that except for a regular relax regimen. Good luck.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Autocon said:

How do you guys have this set up? When I tried this with hardsurface modeling, vertex selections were a nightmare. Also doesn't your hand/fingers cramp up or get sore with long use?
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @tynew : it really depends on the software. Some programs are awful when it comes to precise component selection (Maya is arguably one of the worst in the regard) while others have some very smart selection algorithms acting behind the scenes, cleverly picking the component closest to the mouse pointer without having to hit it dead on. I would also highly recommend using a modeling program that allows for "off hand" manipulation - that is to say, being able to move a component without having to precisely grab and hold a control handle.

All that said I personally don't model with a stylus anymore even though I used to back when I used Max (at a time when it only had its legacy control scheme, which was objectively very, very bad for the  hands because of the way it relied on mmb for everything, IIRC).

At the end of the day and unlike a rather popular opinion, not all modeling programs are created equal and this can affect quality of life a whole bunch. Unfortunately a lot of people are fine with "powering through" badly thought out interaction systems - and it only results in the physical pains described in this thread.

The same goes for hardware - it can reach crazy levels of absurdity, like illustrators having to wear wrist braces because of the way they grip their stylus.

In my opinion the key is to simply not allow any of that into one's life and taking the necessary time to address these issues proactively - even if that means buying (or building !) a new desk or monitor stand, finding a better mouse, or switching programs.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    tynew said:
    Autocon said:

How do you guys have this set up? When I tried this with hardsurface modeling, vertex selections were a nightmare. Also doesn't your hand/fingers cramp up or get sore with long use?
    I use a wacom comic. Its A5, so quite small You can set it up to app detect so I have 3d programs use the middle of the tablet. With dual moitors it naturally goes to one side. I dont experience any difference with hard modelling or sculpting and the only difficulty I have had with selection was max 2017 and the early 2018.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    I use razer deathadder. I used to have the same problem with you about 6 years ago, try getting a mousepad with wrist pillow, that is your best solution for now, and try to relax your hand. Over the years your hand will be trained and you wont have that problem hopefully.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I also use a wacom - I use a intuos pro at work and a wacom draw at home. I used to use an intuos 4 at home but the pen died. 
    I've never had any problems with using them to model. You learn to use different types of input - for example; I always switch the rotate gizmo to 'circular crank' in 3dsmax as it's easier to use that with a wacom.

I do also have a mouse at work as a lot of game editors are not designed to work properly with tablets. So you can't use a wacom for absolutely anything. 
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Just throwing this out there. You may not need a new mouse, you may need an elbow rest pad if you don't have a corner desk.

Amazon link: http://a.co/3eQysIE
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    the thing you need the most is not a new mouse. you need a break and let it heal. i know it sucks... but if you don't want to be in casts on both arms for months to come (like i did) you need to get a break from work and start with some physio to strengthen your arm/wrist/tendons/joints. There are tons of things you can do to make your ergonimical situation better. But you need to get your worktools (your hands) back to shape before you should consider doing so.

this is more than shitty, but i was like you. hey lets change the way I work. putting new strain on my right hand wrist, not being used to this new level of stress. So it completely became unusable. Then i tried to take over with my other hand... second big mistake. it was just not used to this and became a hurtfull mess just 2 weeks after. and then the docs saw no choice but to cast me up so i can't stress my wrists any longer.
  • JacqueChoi
  • kmacneil91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kmacneil91 polycounter lvl 7
    This one has been really good to me so far! :
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2WF99Z/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wrist pain is completely gone. Pretty good price, too. 
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another vote for using your Wacom as much as possible.  Doing that has saved my wrist/shoulder.  It's super natural feeling once you get used to it and the pain vanishes ... I still have to use the mouse for some things but generally, I'm all Wacom.  I use a medium intuos 4 ...
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    Nice these are great suggestions! I'm gonna try a vertical mouse too i think!

Anyone have any solutions for pain between the thumb and index finger from "pincing" the mouse? Vertical mouse still requires this. I know regular breaks too, but any other alternatives?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Just make sure you are doing sports at least once a week
    This year I skipped for 3 months after christmas and Ive never felt so miserable in my life in the third. Everything hurt, even my legs. 
    I thought I had carpal tunnel / artritis for life. My hands hurt so bad I thought Its never going away for weeks and I literally struggled to work.
    Now Im doing at least 1 hour of fitness a week again which is really not much (and I take a good walk 1-2 per day for lunch which keeps me sane from working from home) and things are really fine. 

You don't need hardware, you need physical activity. 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You need hardware as well.

The anker vertical mice are excellent value and definitely helped me. 

I use a razer nostromo keypad thing for my left hand and have mapped mouse clicks to keys on that as well.  A large part of the pain I was suffering was due to over gripping the mouse when clicking.  If you take the clicking away then half the problem disappears..

I still have shit hands but compared to a year ago when I couldn't hold a pencil things are a lot better..