Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4][WIP] Bar 2048

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
paraside polycounter lvl 2
Hi everyone,

here's an environment I've been working on for the past 2 weeks or so, it's a bar located in one of those run-down/poor districts in the future. I decided to make this scene to get more familiar with unreal and work on improving my modeling and texturing skills overall. I'll be posting more updates as I continue to work on them and hopefully, you guys like it  

It still has a long way to go so any comments or critiques on how to improve are highly appreciated. :) 

Thanks 
Ted.

Replies

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    This looks so fuckin cool. Like, wow. Great, great job on the lighting and atmosphere and colors. Don't change any of that, it's amazingly unique and cool and almost quasi surreal. Like some crazy cross between Blade Runner and Atomic Blond. Ok, I'll stop gushing over it now.
  • Irkie500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irkie500 vertex
    I love the look and feel! My only critique would be I think there is a little too much bloom or fog going on.
  • HappyCement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job, i really like it. But its too empty at my sight, would be great to add some kind of music machine, or maybe the whole little stage for live music or something. its a bar, and what kind of bar it is without music? :^) Also you can add something at the tables, like bottles and ashtray. Also at the first screenshot u got this table at the right, that is very close to the wall. do u imagine yourself sitting there and just staring at the wall? :^) I think it would be nice to add there some kind of TV or maybe little hologram stripper. Why not?
  • paraside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks so fuckin cool. Like, wow. Great, great job on the lighting and atmosphere and colors. Don't change any of that, it's amazingly unique and cool and almost quasi surreal. Like some crazy cross between Blade Runner and Atomic Blond. Ok, I'll stop gushing over it now.
    Thanks! glad you like it  :)
    Irkie500 said:
    I love the look and feel! My only critique would be I think there is a little too much bloom or fog going on.
    Yeah I was thinking I added too much volumetric fog too, I'll fix that stuff at the end 
    Nice job, i really like it. But its too empty at my sight, would be great to add some kind of music machine, or maybe the whole little stage for live music or something. its a bar, and what kind of bar it is without music? :^) Also you can add something at the tables, like bottles and ashtray. Also at the first screenshot u got this table at the right, that is very close to the wall. do u imagine yourself sitting there and just staring at the wall? :^) I think it would be nice to add there some kind of TV or maybe little hologram stripper. Why not?
    Thanks! these are all great points, I'm working on some props to populate the scene right now so hopefully it looks less empty at the end, also love the hologram stripper idea.
  • paraside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small Update.

completely changed the lighting to give the scene more of that foggy morning look. also worked a little more on the alleyway leading to the bathroom and added some more props.I also added some TVs on the walls around the bar. looking back I'm not really sure which one looks better in terms of lighting but I think that this was the kind of mood that I wanted to achieve with this environment in the first place. 

let me know what you guys think.

TVs
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Now it looks, closed? And a bit uhm, Batman Forever  :/
  • paraside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now it looks, closed? And a bit uhm, Batman Forever  :/
    yeah, you're right, I'm still experimenting with the lighting to maybe find a nice blend between the two, I turned some lights on at the bar and increased the skylight a little. it's still an early WIP so I feel like its gonna look better the more I work on it around the end.

• paraside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked a little bit more on one of the entryways to the bar.

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Have you watched the "lighting academy" sessions on youtube? If you sit through and listen to how that guy is thinking, it's gonna improve your whole lighting process by alot!
  • paraside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry said:
    Have you watched the "lighting academy" sessions on youtube? If you sit through and listen to how that guy is thinking, it's gonna improve your whole lighting process by alot!
    Thanks, I'll check em' out  :)
  • paraside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's another update.

I made some more props and rearranged a few things.

• paraside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more progress shots:

thinking about removing this bar counter part altogether and replacing it with an entrance to an inside bar, it looks weird to me as it is now, let me know what you guys think

• paraside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's an update on the progress I made on the scene since last time

my project got corrupted for some weird reason and I haven't been able to work on the scene until these past few days, so progress has been halted a bit but I managed to change the things that I wanted to in a way that I'm happy with, it all still needs a lot of work, especially the lighting but I feel like it's shaping up good. I made a quick glitchy video to display on the wall, I didn't work much on it so I'll update it in the future, I also just realized that I had misspelled failure on there, so that'll get fixed, I also removed the bar counter area and added a stairway to an interior part of the bar, don't know if I'm gonna make that part yet, lastly, I made some more posters/wires and added more ground decals. 

• paraside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress shots!

I made a few more meshes to replace some of the architecture. namely a software shop in the alleyway and an elevator entrance in the main bar area, I also added a bunch of video ads to give the scene a little bit more life, lastly, I added another set of modular pipes for the ground in the main bar area. I think I might not have that much free time left to work in this environment anymore so I might just fix a few things up and finalize the scene soon. let me know if you guys have any critiques/suggestions, feedback is always appreciated. 

• RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    I love it! It's crazy how the small changes you've made have really improved the piece a lot!
  • paraside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it! It's crazy how the small changes you've made have really improved the piece a lot!
    Thanks! I feel like adding the ads changed how the scene feels altogether and I wasn't sure how it would work out until I tried it, i'm gonna keep messing with that until I finalize the project 
  • paraside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added another storefront to replace a mesh in the alley as well as a stairway, probably one of the last assets I'm gonna make before I start working on improving lighting and finishing up everything.  

• paraside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Finally managed to complete the project! I added/changed a lot since last time in terms of look and feel, I switched to convolution bloom in order to get those lens flare streaks on all the lights and adjusted the color grading, I also made a short video in order to showcase the environment here are some of the final screenshots. the rest along with the video can be found on my Artstation account here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aPdeL

and lastly here are some progress gifs I took of the environment from start to finish.