Home Technical Talk

How to get more pixel space from my hair cards?

grand marshal polycounter
Online / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
EDIT: I think I may have figured out the answer. So, if UV shells are overlapping, they get the same texture. So what people are doing is having some or most of their hair cards getting the same textures, so just a few UV shells take up that entire UV space. In my case, I think I will make just a few cards cover the majority of the hairstyle, with a few extra smaller ones on top to give an impression of layering.

Unless somebody adds some clarification or further information, moderators feel free to close this thread. I resorted to asking too soon.

I am sorry and somewhat reluctant to even ask this here as it seems like a basic question related to UV's, but I have completed several UV tutorials and read quite a bit online. Some stuff, probably the stuff that would answer my question, is a bit over my head. That is probably the issue.

So I have this hair mesh, and as you can see each strip is only getting a tiny portion of pixel space. In Substance Painter I am not getting the detail I want, despite 2k maps. I am sure there is a lot that I don't know, but I have seen people make one single hair card fit the entire UV space. So, then, do they have like twenty UV maps for the hair alone? Isn't that expensive? I thought you needed to get the entire models textures all into one UV space.

Again, sorry for this very fundamental lack of understanding, but every instruction I find relating to UV's either just shows you "click here, click there," type of instruction, or is explained so cryptically that I simply can't make any useful sense of it.

Thank you for any illumination.

Replies