Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] - Character Art - Yorick - 20000 Leagues (of Legends) Under the Sea

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Ro-Bo polycounter lvl 5
Hi everybody,

I'm very happy to participate once again to this contest! Looking forward to see all the great ideas you guys will come up with!

I'll go for a new skin for Yorick, still sketching here and there, maybe a fisherman/scuba diver with a hook/harpoon and little sharks/crabs/octopus/clams minions and a Mermaid of the deep blue sea............... concepts coming soon ;)

Have fun!!

Replies

• Ro-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ro-Bo polycounter lvl 5
    Here we go with a first bunch of sketches:

I wasn't happy with the fisherman... I think I'll go for the drowned deep sea diver version... not sure about the helmet yet.... 

Also still searching for his "backpack" design...

And I'll have to chose between sharkies and anglerfishies :D

That's it for now! Comments and critics are welcome!
  • vonboe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vonboe polycounter lvl 12
    Really like the concept.
    I only remember Yorick from when he was some sort of hunchback, can see RIOT have given him a total make-over hehe.

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong interpolator
    This is a cool idea! My input would be don't have him wearing the diving helmet, or if you really want to it should be significantly smaller because it throws off his hulking proportions. He definitely should have some kind of head wear though. The beanie is fine but maybe he'd look more interesting with an old fashioned sou'wester fishing hat?
  • Ro-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ro-Bo polycounter lvl 5
    Thx vonboe, he's still a bit of a hunchback though :D (thx for making me remember that, I made him stand straight in the begining!) 

Thx JunkieKong, as you can see I tried the sou'wester fishing hat, I kinda like it but I think it doesn't fit with the diving suite... I dont't know... I'll keep two version though till I get more details and make up my mind :D 

Little update here, still blocking out the shapes and proportions, I'll work on his "backpack" now, trying a skark's jaws version and a face shaped one see how it works!
  • jonjon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonjon polycounter lvl 6
    The sculpt is looking really solid, I love it. I personally quite like the beanie approach. I think it's wise to avoid the deep sea diver helmet as it could easily end up looking like a bioshock big daddy and not a design of it's own. I think the route you're going down is the right call :smile:
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Nice start, solid sculpt as well!
  • Ro-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ro-Bo polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks guys!

Here is a bit of progress on the mist walkers... I decided to go for the sharkies, I think it should fit better with the story I want to tell and the abilities I imagine for Yorick! (sorry angler fish, your name will long be remembered!)

And I also did some color test!

• skullkid99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skullkid99 vertex
    really great work!! can't wait to see the maiden
  • Jager
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jager polycounter lvl 9
    This idea is amazing!! Loving the little shark buddies!
    I'm leaning towards 3 and C
  • jonjon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonjon polycounter lvl 6
    Ah these are looking so good! Personally I like 2 and B but I do like the hat colour from 1 as I think it goes well with the colour in the muscle detail. Keep up the great work, I'm enjoying everything you post :smile:
  • Ro-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ro-Bo polycounter lvl 5
    Thx for the feedback guys!! 
    Lot of work lately, don't have much time to work on that bad mudaf@#¤! :) 
    Here is a small update, still not sure about what could be on his back... been trying many things but I think I'll go with the jaws

I'll work on the "mermaiden" a bit now :) 
    See ya!!
  • jonjon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonjon polycounter lvl 6
    I like the Jaws, the only thing I'd suggest is maybe making them slightly lop sided, the way they are at the moment makes the design look a little too uniform and symmetrical and so angling them one way a bit I think would strengthen the overall silhouette. It's looking great so far :smile:  
  • Ro-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ro-Bo polycounter lvl 5
    @jonjon yep I'll break symmetry (and a teeth or two :p) a bit, this was just to give me an idea of what it could look like :)

Here's a little teasing of my lunch break on the maiden....since the result looks pretty much like what it looks at the end of the video, no screen shot needed cause it's far from finished x)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8xFqLr8lv0&feature=youtu.be
  • Ro-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ro-Bo polycounter lvl 5
    The family keeps getting bigger :tired_face: 
    Still a lot of work on the maiden and Yorick's decay (don't worry sharky I'm not done with you yet , your time will come!!!)
  • Lakrio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lakrio null
  • NguyThuyNgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NguyThuyNgan polycounter lvl 3
    i love this entry so far <3 
  • GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    Looks very nice!
    The little sharky one though ahah
    When you do the gloves I think you can make them huge on the wrist, so the silhouette marks a step there. Also maybe the triceps/biceps area can be a little bit narrower, so the shoulder and forearms look more massive without actually being made bigger. If I can use an extreme comparison: think PS1 FF7 Cloud, a ball then cylinders. It's how I read the shape on in game Yorick.
    My two cents though...

Looking forward to seeing more, looks very good atm!
    Cheers man :)
  • chemotoledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    Woow! Pretty nice and cleand sculpt so far dude! I love it! 
  • Ro-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ro-Bo polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks a lot guys!

@GravityBwlast thanks dude, hope I did the changes according to your advice :) (sorry I couldn't go as far as Cloud, this guy clearly skipped arm day xD)

Here's a little update, I reworked the "jaws" completely since I wasn't happy with them... looked too much like shark's... Now it's a skull based on Nashor's head, I tried to make a more aquatic version :)

Hands and boots still wip (lot of work beside this challenge, hard to keep up as I wish >_<)

See ya next update!
  • GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    Yay, cool!
    I think the arm shape is powerful :) 
    The nashor head is a great idea, really brings the character to a higher level.
  • Ro-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ro-Bo polycounter lvl 5
    I think I did the final proportions' retakes for Yorick, time to do some retopo....and Sharky...well....Sharky's been through a lot lately so please don't judge him x) I couldn't see a shark with legs so he has a tail now....and hooks for hands.....maybe it's time I sleep a bit....

• chemotoledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    So great sculp Ro-Bo!! I like more this back ornament head then the first one. Great work so far! Want to watch more of this character :smiley:
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    looking super fun @Ro-Bo! -- I think the choice to have no legs on Sharky is a great idea-- kinda gives him a ghostly look, suitable for Yorick.  Love the hook hands too!  Do you have plans to push the sculpt on Sharky any further? or are you jumping into the low poly now?  I think Yorick is in a good place, but Sharky is looking a little bubbly-- like his muscular forms could be sharpened up a bit-- particularly in the back muscles and the separation between the gums and teeth.  If it were mine, I'd make his upper teeth a separate sub-tool, as well as his lower teeth-- that way you can set an ID mask for each of them once is time for baking-- also, building up the gums around the teeth just looks more natural and easier to control if they're separate objects-- just my opinion from past experience-- up to you.. Over all he's looking great tho!  Looking forward to textures!