Home Career & Education

What should I study to improve (the artistic side of) my texturing ability?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
bigdeku polycounter lvl 2
When I look at most tutorials on texturing, the focus is mostly on technical things like unwrapping UVs, creating brush presets etc. There seems to be very little attention give to actually exploring how color and light interact and are communicated through texturing.

Are there any resources that deal with this subject matter in depth? Otherwise should I just study 2D digital painting as a base line instead? For example, CTRL paint.

The work I'm focusing on at the moment is very cartoony and has all the lighting painted onto the surface of the model, and even if its simplistic I've found there's little to know learning material specifically for 3D that talks about things like how to visually communicate dips and troughs, how to get smooth versus harsh creases effectively when painting, how to analyse and express texture. At the moment I just look at other people's textures and try to re-create them by hand but I'm still wondering if there are any tutorials that talk about the theory of digital painting outside of simply 2D rendering?

Replies