Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Lumberjack Darius

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
yararstss polycounter lvl 6

~Latest Update:

model

Concept:

~~Original Post:
Hey guys! 

I was a little uncertain about what skin I would do. So I chose Lumberjack Darius, it's something simpler than what I was thinking to do, however it has some elements that I know I need to practice like male anatomy and proportions (body and facial). It's a pleasure just being here to appreciate art work from other artists and have the opportunity to learn together.  :)

Here a little reference sheet that I built for now:

Replies

• yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! Now I'm working in concepts and ideas, so I did some outfit versions and axes:

Some friends of mine told me to put beard, although I don't think that beard agrees with him I did a little test:

Also one friend told me to mix 2 + 4:

About the outfits I really don't know which could I choose (not the first XD)
    Every C&C are very welcome. The next step is to draw the 3/4 view to test the idea.
  • Goldo_O
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    I agree with your friend! 2+4 looks the best! Love the down jacket! Keep it up!
  • gyllenhaal
    Offline / Send Message
    gyllenhaal polycounter lvl 3
  • theStoff
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Nice idea! I like the direction you're going for sure. I'd maybe broaden his shoulders a bit but honestly I feel what you have is already looking good
  • Jager
    Offline / Send Message
    Jager polycounter lvl 9
    #4 ripped sleeves is definitely a must. Good call!
    I'd scruff him up just a tad. The stubble you added, before the mustaches show up, is where I'd go with it. Nothing too crazy.
    I'd say(because it's Darius) make sure he keeps his douchiness.. avoid making him look like he's jolly/helpful
  • Utte
    Offline / Send Message
    Utte polycounter lvl 2
    I would keep the buttoned up shirt just to keep the big shapes more interesting. A minor thing at this stage, but when taking the concept to 3D, I'd push the jaw more. Darius have a huge square jaw, and that will help making the head look less round and make him look more "manly".
  • liemnguyenart
    Offline / Send Message
    liemnguyenart interpolator
    Looking awesome, I can totally see him splitting mountains! I feel like he is still missing that strong beard, I think if done right it can even push his jaw into a more angular aggressive shape! Here is a ref, but since its league you can push it into any shape you want! 
    Image result for strong lumberjack
  • yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    @Goldo_O  Yeh, I think that I'll keep the Jacket, thank you for you feedback!

@gyllenhaal I think I can't avoid beard  hahah XD

theStoff Thanks! I'll try to play with proportions more in the sculpture and I'll test the shoulder size of course, thanks for remind me! In the Dunkmaster the shoulder size is really exaggereted

Jager I agree, so I took off the tuft because I think that it was giving a charismatic appeal to him. If you think that there is another element that can make him more douchie, please say. And thanks for the feedback :)

@Utte Okay! :D I'm not to good drawing men XD, so I'll do it in the sculpture. Thanks!

liemnguyenart Yeh, I realy can't avoid the beard haha I tried, thanks for your feedback!

Guy, thank you so much for your feedback! It was really hard for me to decide what to choose before, now the things become more clearly. I made some updates trying the follow the feedbacks. Some of them I want to try in the 3/4 view and sculpture. So trying to make him seem a bad guy, sorry if don't x_x: 

Gif:

• Jager
    Offline / Send Message
    Jager polycounter lvl 9
    True true, he looks a lot tougher without the tuft..
    I'd suggest, maybe, adding a metal tip to the boots and some metal to the gloves(around the knuckles).

Just a suggestion. If it looks too Metal and loses the Lumberjackness ignore me.
    Other than that, looks great! Both the stubble and the beard amount you gave him work well imo.
  • Baac320
    Offline / Send Message
    Baac320 polycounter lvl 3
    Axe n.2 looks pretty good, btw im loving how this is going <3.

Im a simple man, i see a Darius concept, i press like.
  • Nikolai
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikolai polycounter lvl 5
    I really like your concepting process! Your  Lumberjack Darius will look pretty badass, can't wait to see more  >:) 
  • yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    Now a little update, just a camera view study to see if the colors and values works.
    Jager I tried tha metal but it doesn's look so good :C, but thank you for your feedback!

Baac320 I chose the 3.  The 2º design is cool, but think the 3  looks better with a lumberjack axe. Thank you!

Nikolai Thank you! haha I'm looking foward to have time to start the 3D. This will be the next step.

Now a little update, just a camera view study to see if the colors and values works. Guys, what do you think about the colors and values?

GIF:

• cunico
    Offline / Send Message
    cunico polycounter lvl 2
    Just my personal preference, I think you should make his axe a more traditional lumber jack one. Making everything on him look like a lumberjack, but than having a unfamiliar axe seems kind of off to me. Either way though man, great work. Looks aweseom. 
  • GravityBwlast
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    Hey it's looking good! I love this last Gif. The warm colors are working well together for me. :) 
  • DawnHeart
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    yararstss said:
    Now a little update, just a camera view study to see if the colors and values works.
    Jager I tried tha metal but it doesn's look so good :C, but thank you for your feedback!

Baac320 I chose the 3.  The 2º design is cool, but think the 3  looks better with a lumberjack axe. Thank you!

Nikolai Thank you! haha I'm looking foward to have time to start the 3D. This will be the next step.

Now a little update, just a camera view study to see if the colors and values works. Guys, what do you think about the colors and values?

GIF:

looks very cool so far but I'd rethink the hat as it doesnt rly look that much like Darius anymore with it.
  • henrykuh
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex
    Really digging into the game view paint over. I am curious on how he stack the passive, and the final icon! (Trees!?)

For the head suggestion, how about a feather, a Noxian badge, a pair of sunglasses to fit Classic Darilus' pointy hair silhouette.
  • yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    @cunico Yeah, I'll test the axe silhouette, but I personally prefer how it is now. Thanks for your feedback!  

@GravityBwlast Thank you, man! Glad for your appreciation.  :)

@DawnHeart ok, I'll do his hair to see how the silhoutte works. And yeh I was thinking about it, maybe its better, but I really like the hat >.< I'll test anyway.

@henrykuh Thank you for your apreciation!  ;)

So, I'm on the sculpt process. For now I have facial and body proportions. I must do something more in them and I'm not satisfied with Darius's face either. But these are my bases.I'll post the clothes blocking soon.

• yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    After a gorgeous feedback from a friend I feel that the face is more like I wanted. I think I'll do something more in it, maybe to make "corners", I don't know exactly how to call it xD, and make the surface smoother.. that relief, bro :v

GIF: before/after 

• Jappomo
    Offline / Send Message
    Jappomo polycounter lvl 4
    Nice Anatomy, looking forward for the final result, Good luck!  ;)
  • NBAninja21
    Offline / Send Message
    NBAninja21 triangle
    Dude this looks awesome great job!
  • yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mr. @Jappomo ! I'm trying my best <3
    And thank you, @NBAninja21 !

So, let's do some update. I tested the hair as the friend @DawnHeart suggested (thank you for the suggestion buddy), and well ... It got really better, although I like the cap I recognize that the silhouette of darius is more easily recognizable with his classic hair. Then the silhouette test:
     RIP cap  :'(  

I also finished the cloth blocking:

And the hair blocking:

And I remembered that the darius's scar is in the other side, but i'll fix this after.

And to not lost the habit a little GIF :')  
  • chemotoledo
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    WOow! I really like the face appearance and level of details :) great work so far! I'll look forward to watch more of him ^^  
  • yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG, thank you @chemotoledo ! Your Ekko inspired me in a way you can't imagine, so thank you again hahaha  :D  

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Ive never seen someone look that bad ass in a stocking cap before, Keep it up!
  • DawnHeart
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    yararstss said:
    Thanks mr. @Jappomo ! I'm trying my best <3
    And thank you, @NBAninja21 !

So, let's do some update. I tested the hair as the friend @DawnHeart suggested (thank you for the suggestion buddy), and well ... It got really better, although I like the cap I recognize that the silhouette of darius is more easily recognizable with his classic hair. Then the silhouette test:
     RIP cap  :'(  

I also finished the cloth blocking:

And the hair blocking:

And I remembered that the darius's scar is in the other side, but i'll fix this after.

And to not lost the habit a little GIF :')  
    Happy to help you're welcome! 
    Gotta say I liked the hat too but it really was hard to tell that it's Darius where as now its really looks like him! 
    Still a fan of this and cant wait for the final :DDDD
  • chemotoledo
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    I think is hard to chose between just the hair or the cap, with the hair looks more like Darius, but the cap goes more well with the lumberjack skin and can ad a nice color attention, so its your decision buddy :) I like both
  • yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    I think is hard to chose between just the hair or the cap, with the hair looks more like Darius, but the cap goes more well with the lumberjack skin and can ad a nice color attention, so its your decision buddy :) I like both
    Yeh, I was thinking about that. Maybe I'll go with both of them until the end. Chose now is so hard xD
  • Howling Carnage
    Offline / Send Message
    Howling Carnage polycounter lvl 5
    I'd say go for both, but make the cap a separate geometry to fit over his head/hair. There are several champion skins that have items of clothing on their model that can be toggled. Nightstalker Rengar can toggle his hood so that it hangs on his back or be pulled over his head. Project Ashe's visor comes and goes when her ult is active I believe. Pool Party Taric spawns with a lifeguard vest that he takes off when he recalls. So on and so forth.
  • yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    Howling Carnage I do not know if in this skin fits this approach, but I'll do the 2 forms until the end, thanks for the feedback!
    lotet thank you, buddy!  :)

Today just doing a quick half update what I have so far:

I think it's 70% body sculpt. I still have to do some anatomy ajustments also.

• liemnguyenart
    Offline / Send Message
    liemnguyenart interpolator
    this is looking awesome! The sculpt is looking nice and clean. Love it!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looking good overall!
    I think the muscles could use a bit more depth, right now it looks like a flat surface with some carved creases in there, especially the chest.  Push the pecs out some at least, if you look at this image, you can see how they actually cast a shadow on the abs for example.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Uh, this is looking great, i think you nailed the style of LoL skin with lots of exagerated volumes, good job
    I also quite like the idea, pretty funny and fitting for Darius
  • theStoff
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Sculpt is looking great so far! I'd maybe loos some of the sharp edges on the arm but that's about it.

• blackdust
    Offline / Send Message
    blackdust triangle
    That's a great idea !
    I like very much your clothes, and the care about the details. For exemple, the shoes, the pant and the belt  are very clean.
    And his perfect big muscle give him a feeling of power.
    This is looking very nice,I can't wait to see more of it.

• yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    So guys, I'm back. I took a break to study anatomy stuff. This was part of the challenge in this contest from the beginning for me, and I was not happy with what I was doing with this guy xD. Thank you a lot for your feedback and appreciations.
    liemnguyenart Thank you, buddy! 
    @lotetYeh, I totally agreed with you, I tried to put more depth this time, thank you!
    motenai Thank you! What a honor :)
    theStoff I tried to understand better what I'm doing, and tried to fix some anatomy problems. If something is bothering you again please tell me, and thaank yoouu! XD
    blackdust Thank you for your kind words, friend!  :)

So, lets update \o/
    Now I think the high poly body is finished. The next step is do the Axe, so I yet have availability to change something and apply feedbacks on the body.

And like I said, I'll finish the both cap/hair:

My little cap <3 hahaha  :D

Some perspective view:

I played with colors to see how it was working:

Head variation render:

plusplusplus:

GIF, OH WHAT A SURPRISE:

• yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small update, I finished the Axe highpoly, and now I'll start the retopology.

Axe proportions

Probably the proportions will change a little.
  • gusto
    Offline / Send Message
    gusto triangle
    Don't know what to say <3 Excellent work, make all this muscles of torso proves that you are pretty detailist! keep going, XO
  • RogerP
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Updates are looking great. Loving the Axe!
  • jeandiegors
    Offline / Send Message
    jeandiegors polycounter lvl 5
    Wonderful work, waiting for the next updates!
  • Splinter101
    Offline / Send Message
    Splinter101 polycounter lvl 3
    Wow! Your kicking tail here.
  • jmiles
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Looking awesome @yararstss!  Killer figure and chunky shapes!  Looking forward to the textures!
  • Darkzan
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkzan polycounter lvl 5
    Looking great! love the details!
  • BIKI
    Offline / Send Message
    BIKI vertex
    Coming out nicely  :)
  • Kazefield
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazefield polycounter lvl 3
    Nice progress :D 
  • yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, buddies! I'm back, I hope you all had a great holiday.

@gusto  thank yoou, my friend! Your Sandwich Lissandra is such a insane project!
    @RogerP thank you, buddy! 
    jeandiegors I'm here >: D hahaha arigathanks
    Splinter101 Thank you, man! 
    jmiles Is now the next step haha, and its a honor, your MF is amazing, man! Thank you =}
    Darkzan Thank you <3
    BIKIKazefield thank you!

Thank you so much for all your apreciations! It's such a great incentive for me, and of course all the effort you have put into your project also.
    So, now the retopology and maps are done! I did AO renders:

It is a total of 7.632 tris. 

I also did a color base teste in game:
     I decreased his foot a little bit, I think it was getting a lot of attention before.
    I did the hair AO also. For now is it.   :)
  • blackdust
    Offline / Send Message
    blackdust triangle
    Great Update!
    I still love your character, the colors are dynamics.
    the shape is always impressive. It may be a pity that we do not see the long hair under the cap.
    It could have been emphasize his wild nature. But your work is very cool.

• yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    blackdust said:
    Great Update!
    I still love your character, the colors are dynamics.
    the shape is always impressive. It may be a pity that we do not see the long hair under the cap.
    It could have been emphasize his wild nature. But your work is very cool.

Thank you, mate! Like I said I'll do the hair too, just not in the same model, so I'll paint 2 faces XD I'll put a hair render in the next  update, promisse 'u'
  • yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    Morning! Today I  started to paint the lowpoly, so this is just a little update. Till the next :)

And as I promisse haha:

• yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    Morning! Today update, guys o/

• JunkieKong
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    This looks great!! Really nice colours in the texture so far.