Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] - Dragon Tamer Quinn

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
muddymink polycounter lvl 2
*I'm using this contest as more of a learning experience, so any tips or critiques are greatly appreciated :D

Hello! Welcome to my little blog! So I'm pretty fresh to 3D modeling, so I hope this goes well!

I've wanted to make this skin Dragon Tamer skin for almost as long as I've played Quinn. She was the first champ I really connected with when I first started League, and she is still one of my favorites today. It's nice to see such a beautiful and strong woman, and honestly, I've viewed her as a mini role model for quite some time.

Anyways, back to business, I made a quick concept of my general direction! (I'm not much of a concept artist, so the concept may change throughout the process!) 

Here's a little quick reference sheet I put together.

I really Love the concept work and skins from Zeronis, so I'm headed in that sort of direction! I love Quinns outfit, so I want to stick to the same basic shapes and armor pieces she already has. BUT, I also want to add a bit of that Sexy Zeronis flair. LETS GO BABY.

This will be first ever complete character model, Wish me luck :D 

(I will hopefully have some "showable" model progress tomorrow)

~Sarah Tudor

Replies

• muddymink
    Offline / Send Message
    Day one of Modeling has begun! This is what I've got so far. 

Yes, its very messy still, but I'm not too worried about polish yet. All of the modeling details will basically be erased when I merge and re-topologize.
    There are still many accessories (hood, arm pieces, belt and shoulder decoration, etc.) that need to be added, so I hope to be done with all the main pieces tomorrow!

So, If anyone is looking to help... I think she's looking a little to "bat like", instead a DRAGON! Anyone have any tips? And overall, I think I'll be making her armor pieces a bit "bulgier", I think that will help with her not looking as "dragon-like" as I'd hoped. 

I'd love any Character Design tips, I would like to improve the concept as much as possible, thank you! :D (The area I'm least happy with is her "wing" pieces)

Thanks for checkin' in!
  • muddymink
    Offline / Send Message
    (*Notes to self: 1. Make top horns bigger. 2. make cape shoulder area thicker. 3 boots need something. 4. Tail piece need change. 5. Change placement of small cape to be more aligned to arms. 6. Make nicer flow from edges of tail cloth to the transition into wings. 7. I'm worried there is too much going on in this costume, but the actual Quinn has quite a bit going on as well... Find a way to make complicated pieces align more cohesively.)
  • muddymink
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for any advice!
  • Forever
    Offline / Send Message
    Forever polycounter lvl 3
    Hey Muddymink! Since you were looking for some advice, I thought I'd leave a few comments - and just to make clear, I'm not a character artist myself, so feel free to take any comments with a grain of salt. 

- Coming at it from a character perspective, I think you've got a great start. I think the concept is a great, I think your base is nice but as you said, you've still got work to do! 

- I think from a readability perspective, the wings are two thin and wide. I did a quick drawover, but the more I think about it, I think even my drawover goes down too far and doesn't spread out enough. But what I mean when I say readability, I'm thinking outside of a T pose, it will be hard for an animator to really make it clear where Quinn's weapons are on her arms from the 3/4 view of League. I hope that makes sense. 

- Looking at it, adding some scales to the cape in a similar style to the cloud drake might help the cape out a lot. It'll be harder to texture, but I'd say see how it looks: https://blog.attaqonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Cloud-Dragon.png . I think this'd help with the cohesiveness of it all!

I thought I'd have more comments, but I don't, so sorry about that. And I hope what I said helped!
  • muddymink
    Offline / Send Message

DAY 2 IS OVER! 

And that means, I'm done working with Zbrush, for now. It's time to move this high-poly into Maya to make it a lovely Low-poly model!
    Once again, I haven't been focused on polish almost at all, just getting the main shapes down and ready to be re-topologized.

I'm really liking how she is turning out! Here's some glamor shots  :dizzy:

Now here comes the fun part, deciding on some wings. 

I quickly threw together a couple other wing possibilities, in order to see some silhouettes and which wing type I like the most... Here's what I've got!

Which one is your favorite? (BTW, thank you Forever for the advice, What I came up with your advice what letter C! you like it?) :pensive:

I honestly can't decide, so if you have an opinion, feel free to comment, I'd appreciate it :D

Here she is without the wings, in case you want to draw something up as a suggestion :P 

Either way, coming along great! 
    I'm nervous for the nest step though, re-topologizing is the first real slow down of the process. Wish me luck  :P

• muddymink
    Offline / Send Message

DAY 2 IS OVER! 

And that means, I'm done working with Zbrush, for now. It's time to move this high-poly into Maya to make it a lovely Low-poly model!
    Once again, I haven't been focused on polish almost at all, just getting the main shapes down and ready to be re-topologized.

I'm really liking how she is turning out! Here's some glamor shots  :dizzy:

Now here comes the fun part, deciding on some wings. 

I quickly threw together a couple other wing possibilities, in order to see some silhouettes and which wing type I like the most... Here's what I've got!

Which one is your favorite? (BTW, thank you Forever for the advice, What I came up with your advice what letter C! you like it?) :pensive:

I honestly can't decide, so if you have an opinion, feel free to comment, I'd appreciate it :D

Here she is without the wings, in case you want to draw something up as a suggestion :P 

Either way, coming along great! 
    I'm nervous for the nest step though, re-topologizing is the first real slow down of the process. Wish me luck  :P

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Oh this is a lovely idea!
  • hakubex
    Offline / Send Message
    hakubex vertex
    lol, i made some draws time ago about a similar skin for quinn XD

In my opinion, you have a wrong idea for the wings, in game, quinn use valor for fly and those wings will loose relevance, maybe if you use a stile like a fly siut could be interesting, some similar was done in how train your dragon 2: http://fanboygaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/httyd.jpg
    But i like your stile aniways
  • hakubex
    Offline / Send Message
    hakubex vertex

In my opinion, you have a wrong idea for the wings, in game, quinn use valor for fly and those wings will loose relevance, maybe if you use a stile like a fly siut could be interesting, some similar was done in how train you dragon 2 http://fanboygaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/httyd.jpg, but i like your stile
  • hakubex
    Offline / Send Message
    hakubex vertex

In my opinion, you have a wrong idea for the wings, in game, quinn use valor for fly and those wings will loose relevance, maybe if you use a stile like a fly siut could be interesting, some similar was done in how train your dragon 2: http://fanboygaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/httyd.jpg
    But i like your stile aniways
  • hakubex
    Offline / Send Message
    hakubex vertex

In my opinion, you have a wrong idea for the wings, in game, quinn use valor for fly and those wings will loose relevance, maybe if you use a stile like a fly siut could be interesting, some similar was done in how train you dragon 2 http://fanboygaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/httyd.jpg, but i like your stile
  • muddymink
    Offline / Send Message
    that is a good point, I may look into making some changes like that! Her wings do feel a bit too big right now. Thanks for the critique :P
  • TheIceWolves
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceWolves triangle
    I like this idea, but not a fan of the wings its too birdy, Here is some ref may be help. I would love to see a dragon wings there instead. Good luck
    Image result for overwatch dragon symmetra