Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Character Art - Lux

Licendre
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Licendre polycounter lvl 3
Hello everybody! 

I am so excited about this contest!
The last one was 2 or 3 years ago, I think, and at that time I was just starting to create spheres in Maya...
So now I am a bit more experienced and doing 3D characters is my job and passion so I really want to give it a try! 

Last time I wanted to create something for Lux, because she was my first champion, my first main and my first love :blush:  ( btw I gave Riot a serious amount of money with all her skins... well deserved! ) anyway this time again, I chose her. 

I'm not quite sure yet about what I will do, I thought about a redesign because her standard skin really needs some love right now, or a championship skin. 

I really hope you will enjoy my thread, I'll try to keep the news coming! 

:*  :*

Latest progress: 

Replies

• Licendre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I created a ref board, I am actually just regrouping the early ideas for the character. 

As you can see the actual model is quite old and I think it would be interesting to improve it to go along with the recents skins. 
    I think the colors, tones and feeling of the championship Ashe are noble and reflect the background of Lux being a light noble lady. Though I want to keep her childish attitude and not so serious spirit!

• Licendre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again! 

Here is a sketch I made, I am the kind of person that sticks around an early idea and go for it, so I didn't do a lot of research.

• I wanted to enhance the flow with a cloak, because cloaks are cool let's be honest.
    • I also want her to have bigger spaulders with glowing effects so it is eye catching on her upper body. 
    • She'll have the same blue suit she already has. 
    • The weapon will be kinda similar to her actual one, just bigger and with shiny crystals.
    • I'm still hesitating with the hair, but I like the braid, I'll see if it's readable in 3D. 
    • For the style I want to be closer to her recent skins, or closer to the Jinx kind of style (skinny/long, big eyes...

I think I'll go for this design, still not sure if it fits a "standard skin" or "championship skin".
    I'll surely tweak her hair and armor design because it is still rough of course, but the idea is here!

I hope you'll enjoy it !

• yararstss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yararstss polycounter lvl 6
    Oooh, amazing concept! I loved the braid! Of course it is readable in 3D just like the Captain Fortune. Maybe you have to exaggerate it a little, but I realy love the idea! Go for it :D 
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    Very nice concept! Love the center and right one! :)
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Really like the 'lightness' of the middle one!
  • FemCharles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    adorable concept! i love the floating crystals on the shoulders! 
  • Licendre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much everybody for your feedbacks and enthusiasm!
    yararstss : thank you! I totally forgot Captain MF, and yet I have the skin... :') but I don't play that much anymore  :( I'll definitely go for the braid then!

I am trying to find the time to do a clean concept, like Zeronis, in order to have a clean and good start. I'll try to have something to show this weekend.

Thanks again for your support guys and girls, it really is stimulating!  :blush:
  • Musicalpringle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Musicalpringle polycounter lvl 4
    Looks sweet and most importantly still reads as lux!

can't wait to see more. :smiley:
  • Licendre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone !

I had some time to draw the front concept for my Lux visual update! 
    I think I'll push the concept a little bit more, it is still rough, but here is where I am and I think I can start with that. I'll do a quick back view in order to be sure it's coherent from the back! 

What do you think ? Is she still Lux for you ? I do hope you like her! 

Cheers!

• Licendre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! 

It's me again, just a quick one to show you the back version of the concept. 
    It's even rougher than the front one, but I don't want to get exhausted just in the concept phase :') 

I think I'm gonna start the 3D rough really soon! :D 

• BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    very nice concept!
  • Arash Salehi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arash Salehi polycounter lvl 2
    That's great, I like your concept! I am waiting for the 3d model.
    This is the link of my work if you have time and look at it, i will be happy. 
    http://polycount.com/discussion/194274/riot-creative-contest-2017-character-art-ekko/p1?new=1 
  • Licendre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone ! 

I started with the face in Zbrush, I let you see some WIP, it will change a lot obviously, anatomy is still not on point. But I think I like the proportions. I'm going for something "Disneyish" if I could say.

What do you guys think ?

I don't have enough time to allow for the contest aarrgh so frustrating! I wish I could do more but it will be a long journey till I finish her!

Quick edit because I made some retakes on the head on photoshop, I think it's better this way:

She seems less angry like this :')

Thanks everyone for your kind words <3 
  • Licendre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good. Cant wait to see it finished!
  • Licendre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everybody ! 

I am so confused about de face right now, and I am doing it all over again and again x) 
    But i had time to do the body and the hair. 
    I hope you'll enjoy it ! 

And here is a close-up to see the hair better : 

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Looks great. I can't to see it finished.
  • Licendre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys ! 

I didn't have so much time to work on Lux recently, with christmas and chill time... But I still managed to start a rough armor and coloring in Zbrush ! 
    I changed the armor a lot because the pieces of armor around her waist were kinda strange, it looked like she would have a bad time moving, running and demaciaing with that in the rift ! :) 
    I changed the colors so it look more like a championship skin, something more "noble" with the purple and the not too saturated colors. 

I hope you still enjoy her. I still have so much to do, I don't even know where to start :') 

Thanks again everyone, and see ya :D 

• spasmart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spasmart polycounter lvl 9
    Nice ! keep going ! don't hesitate to exaggerate things :)  it's for a top view game :)
  • Darkzan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkzan polycounter lvl 5
    Wow, good job!! love the face!

• Licendre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!

Slowly but surely (well huh... we'll see!) I continue to work on Lux ! 
    Last time I finally decided it was a championship skin I wanted to represent, so I continue with the ornaments and gold and stuff ! 

There is a strong "world of warcraft" vibe in the design of the armor, but I kinda like it that way :3 I need to clean stuff, I'll do a claypolish pass on the armor too, to sharpen it a bit. 

Thanks all for your feedbacks ! 

• leoartz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leoartz polycounter lvl 11
    Nice character on the face. Coming along well :-)