Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A students journey to becoming a master!

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Betaknight triangle
Hey guys, 

I'm kinda new around here, been watching a bit before (it's how I got some little tips). But I was always nervous about posting my works online. I've finally grown the courage to post my stuff here slowly. 

Keep in mind a lot of this is being me trying to improve myself through as much as I can by repeating processes and trying new techniques along the way. My lighting is always a problem sadly, but I'm working on it!

I'm mainly focusing on game art, low poly versions as I'm a game design and development student. Topology wise, I'm trying to find a middle ground between quality and low end systems now-a-days. Sculpting I can do, but yeah... They don't do so well in-game.

M2 WW2 American Helmet | https://skfb.ly/6uvQv

Had a bit of a challenge with UV-mapping this one... But this was the difference between a few days ago and after 2 days (now). 

The top is annoying to do...

As I said I'm constantly trying to improve myself.

So I hope you guys can give some pointers (specially lighting!).

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Looks decent, I think.  Might help us to put this in several lighting scenarios given the straightforward design of the prop to showcase how it looks in different environments.
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Needs more specularity (surface is very dull). Go PBR if you havent already.
  • Betaknight
    Offline / Send Message
    Betaknight triangle
    Looks decent, I think.  Might help us to put this in several lighting scenarios given the straightforward design of the prop to showcase how it looks in different environments.
    I will get some screenshots for you! 

defragger said:
    Needs more specularity (surface is very dull). Go PBR if you havent already.
    I agree with you, I'll look into that. I've already started with PBR Metalness workflow though, since I'm looking to get it into UE4. I'm using Quixel.
  • Betaknight
    Offline / Send Message
    Betaknight triangle
    model
    Maybe better this time?

Sorting out some problems with Quixel for a bit... Can't reimport my model for some reason...
  • shabba
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    Yea I think a bit of love on the material definition to create some roughness separation between the materials could help alot. And possibly approaching your unwrap in a different way than the round shell on the top, and the rest of the uv shell treated like a cylinder. I assume you could just split it down the middle, and use Substance to paint away your seam.

I know its just a helmet prop, but try to add elements that really take it to the next level. Thinking about how the soldier regularly put the helmet on, (maybe always with his right hand?) which would add some wear, or some gloss variation in a print-ish way to only the right side, or maybe some caked mud in the grooves, or a dent from being flung off the wearers head, maybe a bullet dent that didnt penetrate? Or a bullet that did penetrate... yikes :S 

Maybe the interior has some strapping for comfort on it for the wearer, maybe he wrote some sweet nothings about his lady in the inside?  Or tape a picture of her to the inside? Maybe created a jenky strap to secure his smokes in? 

Who knows! But these little elements can really separate your helmet from other generic ones.
  • Betaknight
    Offline / Send Message
    Betaknight triangle
    shabba said:
    Yea I think a bit of love on the material definition to create some roughness separation between the materials could help alot. And possibly approaching your unwrap in a different way than the round shell on the top, and the rest of the uv shell treated like a cylinder. I assume you could just split it down the middle, and use Substance to paint away your seam.

I know its just a helmet prop, but try to add elements that really take it to the next level. Thinking about how the soldier regularly put the helmet on, (maybe always with his right hand?) which would add some wear, or some gloss variation in a print-ish way to only the right side, or maybe some caked mud in the grooves, or a dent from being flung off the wearers head, maybe a bullet dent that didnt penetrate? Or a bullet that did penetrate... yikes :S 

Maybe the interior has some strapping for comfort on it for the wearer, maybe he wrote some sweet nothings about his lady in the inside?  Or tape a picture of her to the inside? Maybe created a jenky strap to secure his smokes in? 

Who knows! But these little elements can really separate your helmet from other generic ones.
    Haha thanks for the feedback! I like how you think! 

The extra details were part of the plan, but I wanted to perfect the material first before moving on to extra details. You can kinda see that I was already trying to give the model a story with the painting and scratches. Originally it was meant to have a poker card similar to the movies, signed with his brother's name on it. And then a net on top of the helmet, along with perhaps a grenade or some kind of crazy item.  

I do like the imprint of the hand idea though! Was thinking like a muddy imprint! 

Definitely will update in the weekend!